Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I threw a clipboard . . . Sleep Deprevation!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default So I threw a clipboard . . . Sleep Deprevation!

Well. I had major surgery on the 24th of April. I spent two days in the hospital and went home. Was home for two days and got put back in the hospital for an infection. Was there 24 hours and went home. Was home for two days and got put back in the hospital for staph infection was there for 7 days and now I am home AGAIN!! So here is my dilema. On about day 4 of the last visit, I complained to the nurse that I had not had a good nights sleep since BEFORE my surgery. (Everybody and their dog wakes you up in the hospital at ALL hours . . . food people, lab, vitals every 4 hours, medications, IV changes etc.) The most I had slept was about 2 hours at one time. She agreed to close my door and post a note that said anyone wanting in my room would have to go thru her and she would make sure that I would not be disturbed. . . Didnt happen. I had food service show up, the cleaning lady, people that had the wrong angie, the chaplain, the magazine lady, and finally a CNA. (all in about a two hour time period) So just as I would drift off to sleep . . . In walked someone else. So I paged the nurse and asked why she hadnt held up her end of the bargain. She rudely slammed a clipboard down on the table next to me and started ranting about making everyone happy. So I picked up the clipboard and started yelling back. Next thing I know, I am kicking her out of my room and I threw the clipboard at the wall. My husbands jaw hit the floor in total shock. I am a very non-confrontational, pacifistic, dont believe in physical violence, dont EVER raise my voice type of person. I do not know what came over me! I seriously think that I was SO sleep deprived that I became evil Angie!! Can sleep deprivation really do that to a person and do I owe the nurse an apology?
    A good friend will help you move, a GREAT friend will help you move a body . . . Let me know if I need to bring a shovel!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes lack of sleep can cause anger you are so tired the slightes thing ticks you off.
    i would tell the nurse i was sorry but also explain to her she said she would help you sleep and you were very cranky by not being able to sleep. Hopes this helps.

Thanks

I am so sorry, you had been put through that...hospitals can be crazy.

Regarding the apology...if you feel you should then I would, otherwise it will plague your heart and mind with guilt, perhaps even shame. You'll feel relief and your spirit will return to feeling happy if you do.

If you feel you don't and it doesn't interfere with your spirit, then I wouldn'

And for you, head hugs and get well wishes...squeeze, Angie...

Love,
    Oluwa
    Last edited by Oluwa; 05-13-2009 at 05:20 AM.
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

ah yes.. sleep deprivation.. that will definately cause a meltdown.
    Interesting though, that only yesterday I was prompted to register on this site to see if anyone else was experiencing what can only be referred to as a tantrum, because, like you, I am the conflict resolver, the one who always keeps her head, stays calm, non-confrontational and yet.... there I was telling a dear friend he could go beep beep beep! Do you think this could be in anyway associated with lupus??

Blog Entries
    Thanks

i worked in a hospital and i know they're just trying to do their jobs, but it does get frustrating. i worked with kids and it was very frustrating to their parents when we had to wake a kid up because they had to calm them back down and get them back to sleep after we left the room. i know your frustration and it's ok. you'll probably want to explain what's been going on and maybe give her a small apology. i hope you get some sleep soon.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I'm not.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Angie,

Sleep deprivation can do strange things to a persons personality and demeanor. I remember times when I was in the Army and we'd be up for three days straight with only a half hour cat nap a couple of times during that period-it sucked.

As far as an apology, I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I'll tell you what I would do. I have no problem apologizing to people when I know that I was in the wrong. Had I been in that situation, I would definitely feel as though I did nothing wrong-so there would be no sorry's from me.

Follow your instincts, and do what you think is right. You are in a situation where your anger had a definite cause, but the nurse's anger did not. If she get's pissed off by being around people who are difficult to make happy or deal with, then she's in the wrong line of work. I know this whole situation has really been wearing you down, you have every right to be upset.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 05-13-2009 at 08:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Crazy things happen in the hospital. I think the nurse o you an apology.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Thanks

AWWWW, sorry Froggal about your hospital stay!UGH! YES, lack of sleep definately makes us cranky! I feel that way too when i dont get my full amount of sleep. I agree that if it makes you feel more at peace to appologize then you should, but only if you feel you were in the wrong. It sounds as if the nurse didnt DO HER part, so she is at fault in that way. I hope you can catch up on your sleep!XXXXXXXXXXXX
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Blog Entries
    Thanks

{{{Froggy}}}

IMHO you do not owe anyone an apology. That nurse was being a b*tch and deserved what she got. I am the same way, I really try to suck it up, I pray for peace in my soul and avoid confrontation. Those that know me know I have a very long fuse, it takes a lot to light it. But you better run if you do.

You are going through hell and deserve a little more respect than that.

After one of my surgeries my first husband who was absolutely useless in helping me with the three children or anything at all, learned that. I was so exhausted, surgery was hell, kids were hungry and he is drinking beer with his brother. I became super fed-up woman, threw a heavy oak kitchen chair across the room and threw his beer bottle at the wall. The bottle did not break but left a perfect beer bottle indentation in the wall that served as a reminder.

Hang in there,

Ayah the peaceful : )
    Last edited by AyahsClan; 05-13-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    Ayah
    Believe in Tomorrow - Appreciate Today
    http://twitter.com/LupieAyah

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I feel bad to when thing like that happen. But I'm trying to stop apologizing for things I'm not reasonable for.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky