Thread: blood count

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Question blood count

I have had a lot of blood work done in the last month and my rhumatologist called me on the last and told me to immediatley get off my imuran because my white blood count is 3.0 and the red count is 2.90. He says this is not dangerous yet well how low is dangerous because i am dizzy and light headed alot. Bonita

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

White blood cells are the body's best defensive weapons in the fight against germs and disease, so when white blood cell counts drop as a result of illness or some treatments, it puts you in a vulnerable position. Without adequate protection from these disease-fighting cells, viruses and bacteria suddenly become much more serious threats.

There are several types of low blood counts that many Lupus patients suffer from:
    1) Anemia - This is a low count of red blood cells and causes fatigue
    2) Neutropenia - This is a low count of white blood cells and makes us susceptible to infectionmake
    3) Thrombocytopaenia (low platelets) - This makes us susceptible to bleeding
    Here is some information about the types of blood count tests and how they are measured:

*A complete blood count, often referred to as a CBC, is a common blood test. A CBC provides detailed information about three types of cells in your blood: red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. These blood cells are made in the bone marrow, the spongy tissue filling the center of your bones. Bone marrow in the skull, sternum (breast bone), ribs, vertebral column (backbone), and pelvis produces these blood cells.
    Each type of blood cell plays an important role in your body’s normal function.
    A complete blood count includes five major measurements: 1) White blood cell (WBC) count (White blood cells fight infections). They are measured in thousands per cubic milliliter (K/uL) of blood. A WBC of 4.8 K/uL is 4,800 cells.
    2) Red blood cell (RBC) count -Red blood cells carry oxygen to and remove waste products from the body’s tissues. These cells also contain hemoglobin. Red blood cells are measured in millions per cubic mil-limeter (mil/uL) of blood.
    3) Hemoglobin (HGB) value -Hemoglobin gives red blood cells their color. Hemoglobin carries oxy-gen from the lungs to the tissues and takes carbon dioxide (the waste prod-ucts) from the tissues to the lungs. From the lungs, carbon dioxide is exhaled. Hemoglobin is measured in grams per deciliter (g/dL) of blood.
    4) Hematocrit (HCT) value -The hematocrit is the percentage of red blood cells in relation to your total blood volume.
    5) Platelet count -Platelets help to stop bleeding by forming blood clots. They are meas-ured in thousands per cubic millimeter (m/uL) of blood. A platelet count of 200 K/uL is 200,000 cells.

These are the general normal ranges for blood counts:

* WBC (white blood count): 3.3-8.7 K/uL
    * RBC (red blood count): 3.93-5.69 M/uL
    * HGB (hemoglobin): 12.6-16.1 g/dL
    * HCT: 38-47.7%  Platelets: 147-347 K/

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. Please let me know if you need anything further!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

thank you all i know that if something isn't low it is high. i had 16 tubes taken and from then on it is something every week. Bonita

Blog Entries
    Thanks

So sorry I hope they get this under control soon.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Currently still in Weston Village, Runcorn, United Kindom
    Thanks

hey just thought I give u a heads up....
    The worse the bad times are the more we appreciate the good things in life..

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Bonita I suffer from low everything! This is one of my main problems with lupus. My blood count has been extremely low for almost two years now! My hematologist tells me all the time that my WBC,RBC, and platelets are so low that I shouldnt even be walking! BUT, it affects everyone differently. So even though yours is considered slightly low, it could still have those affects on you. After you get your blood drawn you should really try and take it easy for a few hours and always put back in your body when they take out!! Be sure to eat before AND after! Rest does wonders!!
    A good friend will help you move, a GREAT friend will help you move a body . . . Let me know if I need to bring a shovel!!!