Thread: Why Aleve?

Thanks

Default Why Aleve?

I was diagnosed with Lupus just last week and am probably still in denial. The doctor I saw was not a very good match for me and I will be seeing someone new but not until sometime in Sept. Anyway, this doctor said that taking Aleve was preferable to taking Advil and I was wondering why and if anyone else uses it. Maybe there is something else (over the counter) that might work better for the pain in my hands. Also, he said to stay out of the sun. So far I have had no rash or itching but he said that sun exposure might also damage the internal organs. Is that correct? I have very little faith in this doctor so am questioning everything he told me. So far I have pain in my hands (but I've had osteoarthritis for years so figured it was that), one swollen finger, a sore knee (maybe not related), have less energy but not the overwhelming tiredness some of you seem to be experiencing, and a positive ANA with a figure of 399. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks so much for being there for me!! Jean

Thanks

Doctors are educated by the pharmeceutical industry. They are often given comissions for prescribing drugs. Drugs are often the cause of illness's. Capsaicin (in hot peppers) works for me.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Renojean; First, Advil is mostly for pain and Aleve is for inflammation, swelling, and stiffness!
    Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE or lupus) is a multisystem disease with a tendency to cause skin rashes. These often appear on light exposed skin after exposure to sunlight (for example face, neck, hands, and feet). These rashes are called photosensitive rashes and are one of the hallmarks of the disease . Some patients complain of feeling unwell after going out in the sun, even for relatively short periods of time (such as half an hour). Some of the illnesses that Lupus patients report after sun exposure are: migraine headaches, nausea (feeling sick) and joint pains. The joints may even become tender to the touch and swollen. Sun exposure has been known to cause Lupus flares. Some Lupus patients report a true attack of arthritis due to the lupus flare after sun exposure. follow. These are all manifestations of light sensitivity in lupus patients (almost all lupus patients have light sensitivity). Other aspects of the disease may deteriorate after sun exposure, including fever, pleurisy (chest pains on breathing in), kidney disease and more serious nervous system problems such as epilepsy (fits). Occasionally, patients are even sensitive to fluorescent lighting, such as in offices, but this is much less common than sun sensitivity. So, there was a very good reason for you doctor to tell you to avoid sun exposure.

With reference to Aleve vs Advil; here is what I found out:
    The advertised formulations of the Nsaid's have lower dosages than the prescription versions and have specified maximums on their product information. Aleve (naproxen) and Orudis (ketoprofen) are NSAIDs, which means they're not to be taken for pain if you're on another NSAID.
    Advil and Aleve pose a major risk of stomach bleeding, a side effect from which 15,000 die annually.
    Both Aleve and Advil have been around a long time and when taken at over-the-counter doses, these drugs have been found to be very safe. However, the FDA's official position is that all NSAIDs are potentially dangerous and that none of these drugs should be taken lightly. Having said that, if you have no cardiac or gastrointestinal risk factors and are under 60-years-old, the risks are probably minimal. Short-term use (one to two months) is also safer than longer-term use. It seems the increased cardiovascular risk takes several years to develop.
    Advil is a motrin based nsaid. Motrin is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug available in both prescription and nonprescription forms. Prescription Motrin is used in adults for relief of the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, Lupus, treatment of menstrual pain, and relief of mild to moderate pain.
    More common side effects may include:
    Abdominal cramps or pain, abdominal discomfort, bloating and gas, constipation, diarrhea, dizziness, fluid retention and swelling, headache, heartburn, indigestion, itching, loss of appetite, nausea, nervousness, rash, ringing in ears, stomach pain, vomiting.
    This drug should be used with caution if you have kidney or liver disease, or are severely dehydrated; it can cause liver or kidney inflammation or other problems in some people.
    Motrin may cause vision problems. If you experience any changes in your vision, inform your doctor. Mortin may prolong bleeding time. If you are taking blood-thinning medication, this drug should be taken with caution.
    This drug can cause water retention. It should be used with caution if you have high blood pressure or poor heart function. Avoid the use of alcohol while taking this Motrin medications. Motrin may mask the usual signs of infection or other diseases. If you have diabetes, remember that the suspension contains 1.5 grams of sucrose and 8 calories per teaspoonful.
    Motrin chewable tablets contain phenylalanine. If you have a hereditary disease called phenylketonuria, you should be aware of this.

Aleve is a Naprosyn:Naprosyn, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, is used to relieve the inflammation, swelling, stiffness, and joint pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis (the most common form of arthritis), juvenile arthritis, Lupus, ankylosing spondylitis (spinal arthritis), tendinitis, bursitis, and acute gout; it is also used to relieve menstrual cramps and other types of mild to moderate pain.More common side effects may include:
    The most common side effects are: Abdominal pain, bruising, constipation, difficult or labored breathing, dizziness, drowsiness, headache, heartburn, indigestion, itching, nausea, ringing in ears, skin eruptions, swelling due to fluid retention.Special Warnings about this medication:
    Remember that peptic ulcers and bleeding can occur without warning. Use of this drug can cause liver or kidney problems in some people. Naprosyn may prolong bleeding time. If you are taking blood-thinning medication, your doctor will prescribe Naprosyn with caution. This medication may cause vision problems. This drug can increase water retention. It will be prescribed with caution if you have heart disease or high blood pressure. Naprosyn suspension contains a significant amount of sodium. If you are on a low-sodium diet, discuss this with your doctor. Naprosyn may cause you to become drowsy or less alert; therefore, avoid driving, operating dangerous machinery, or participating in any hazardous activity that requires full mental alertness until you are sure of the drug?s effect you.
    I hope that I have been able to answer your questions. :lol:
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Thanks for the reply

Thanks, Saysusie, for the reply. Since I won't be seeing the new doctor until Sept. I'm sure that I'll have more questions for you. I'll try my best to first find answers in messages that have already been posted. Jean

Thanks

Just a couple days on Naproxyn for mere mild inflammation, and I had horrible stomache pain and heartburn. The swelling wasn't even affected. This lead me to take Aciphex then Prilosec for the past 3 years. Now with diet adjustment and abstinance from drugs; I no longer need the antacid. Before all this, I'd never got heartburn. Since what we eat seems to affect our symptoms, I would think it more important to be kind to our stomaches.

Thanks

Honestly? I dont recommend taking aleve, or anything like that, except tylenol.

I got Menegitis from taking IBProfuen. The doctors told me in some cases, from taking those pills, it made me get menegitis, and all Im allowed to take now, is Tylenol.