• What we eat

1 6.67%
  • Genetics

8 53.33%
  • Environment

4 26.67%
  • Nutrition deficiency

2 13.33%

Thread: Isn't it what we're eating that's killing?

Thanks

Default Isn't it what we're eating that's killing?

There is no money in natural cures, and when have drugs been known to cure?

-How else could it go into remission?
    -Many "diseases" have been traced back to having dietary factors after long bouts of research: pellagra, scurvy, etc.
    -There are many testimonies about improving diets.
    -lupus is on the rise along with canola oil (it's found in peanut butter, junk foods and so called health foods now).
    -Look up cancer and vitamin b-17!

After just having new problems develop, I was talking to someone that told me to avoid chicken. Incidently I'd ate more chicken in the prior 2 months than in the previous 10 years! No wonder my wrists got worse and the pain spread to my knees, ankles and feet!

I've read of many foods to avoid for us, and think it's more about avoiding foods as opposed to getting certain nutrients!

Sure there's no cure, but if you can eliminate all co-factors, and never get worse.. wouldn't that be a solution?

I've also read to avoid beef, pork, soybeans/ oil, and all nightshade family plants such as tomatos, eggplant, tobacco. I would definetly avoid soy, and tobacco just for general health reasons, but you may want to consider if one of these may be your problem or one of them.

Here are common poisons everyone should abstain from; chlorine, fluoride (yes we are being poisoned!), canola oil (rape seed oil), and hydrogenated oil.

I'm sure better nutrition would help us, but I don't think it's the same solution as avoiding certain things.

Many people have lactose intolerance and don't know it. Doesn't it result in the destruction of the pancreas? Isn't this what causes diabetes? It's too bad the health industry in general is looking for drugs to cover symptoms as opposed to nutrition, or health food to cure. Unfortuneatly they'll go where the money is.

We should aim for raw foods... if you drink milk, why not raw? Vegetable oil naturally is high in vitamin E which thins your blood, but not the pasteurized stuff you get in the grocery store.

We should try to identify and share what foods cause problems for us.

It seems like there is a link to chicken at least for me.

Thanks

Default Some of that does make sense to me.

I've definitely noticed a link between pain and beef for me. I'm trying really hard to eliminate it from my diet, but growing up on red meat it isn't easy LOL I love my hamburgers. Never noticed a problem with chicken tho. I also can't have spicy foods tho I love salsa so I usually take an acid reducer just to have it LOL I have interstitial cystitis as well so I'm already limited on what I can and can't have. Anything bother you besides chicken?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am also sure that some of the foods we eat contribute to our various illnesses. It is not so much the food as it is how the food is processed and/or grown.
    Lupies are told to avoid red meats (or four-legged animals) because of the protein (since our bodies are already attacking the protein). So, that leaves us fish and fowl. Well, years ago, chicken was not such a dirty animal because they were raised on farms, butchered and bled thoroughly. Nowaday, chickens are raised in mass, in cages with hundreds of other chickens (and chicken poop that can get as tall as a mountain). They are butchered by machines and are never bled thoroughly (it seems). When you purchase a chicken, you will find that there is still a lot of blood in the meat.
    So, if chicken is out, that leaves us with fish. O.K., we are all aware of the pollutants in our oceans, lakes and rivers. So, eating fish becomes a frightening prospect also.
    Then there are those of us who are lactose intolerant and our alternatives are generally soy milk or rice milk.
    So, where doe that leave us? Afraid to eat anything?
    I think that the most important thing for us to do is to consider our preparation of our foods. I still eat chicken..however, I wash it thoroughly (inside the cavity, between the skin and the meat etc.) and then I microwave it for 3-5 minutes prior to preparing it (this kills the bacteria in the blood). Then, regardless of how I prepare it, I cook it thoroughly. Cooking chicken on slow heat works best.
    I do not eat any red meats at all and I never eat pork.
    I only eat deep sea fish and again, I clean them thoroughly prior to preparing them.
    Yes, it is important to be aware of foods that we eat and to carefully watch how our bodies react to certain foods. But, we must not get so afraid of food that we deny our bodies a good healthy diet thereby diminishing our bodies ability to fight illness and disease.
    It's a very complicated issues and we must do what is right for each of us individually!!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Allergies are reactions to specific proteins. In the case of milk being destructive to your pancreas, the damage is dependant on your tolerance or ability to digest lactose. Therefore people would assume that type 2 diabetes is genetic not realising that it's actually lactose intolerance that is genetic and makes us susceptible to diabetes or destruction of the pancreas. One of the things I do not like about "diets" is they don't take into account genetics or environment. Nearer the equater, we eat more fruit/ veggies. Nearer the poles we eat almost entirely meat! I've read that 99% of asians are lactose intolerant. The makers of Oreos did a study and found that they hadn't tapped the asian market! Can you imagine my surprise when seeing commercials with asians dipping oreos in milk!?

I've made some life changes recently, and yesterday I felt better than I've felt in a long time! I'm avoiding chlorinated water, fluoride, hydrogenated/canola/ rapeseed oils, and all drugs. I'm eating much less chicken and beef in favour of fish. Yesterday I took some nutrition supplements and it seemed like my wrists and feet were feeling better soon after. I wouldn't have expected such a fast response, and maybe it's coincidence. I also awoke this morning and didn't even notice the usual stiffness in my ankles. I think there's hope for us, but I don't think it will come from institutions that profit from us being sick.

Thanks

I must say I am a carnivore, or vampire sometimes. I crave red meat. I was a vegetarian for 2 years, then developed anemia from endo. Now I feel like a vampire sometimes, even though the bleeding/anemia is undercontrol. The studies involving tapwater & flouride are horrible. The power plants not only pollute our air, but also our waters. And therefore, our fish. The mecury levels are so high pregnant women are advised to not to eat fish. I cannot eat icecream, whip cream or milk. Thank god I still have my cheese & yogurt.

But what are we to do?

Chelle

Thanks

I posted here; http://www.wehavelupus.com/message-b...opic.php?t=626 about some observations I've made particularly with soy.

Soy is/ was in most prepared foods that I know of. It was in some of the nutreints/ vitamins I took. It was what I ate fried, what I put on chinese food, what I used the oil of to fry, in my salad dressings. Now Canola is taking it's place. Both of these at one time were touted as "healthy". Don't trust advertising especially when it appears to be a public service announcement. Observe all that you eat, and your reactions to such foods. I think many of us could be cured by finding what foods we react negatively to. In many cases, I'd bet it's very common food additives such as soy, and canola.

Thanks

Interesting thread! Thanks for the additional link to your other post and the related thread, madthumbs.

I've always thought that diet could help me feel better with lupus, and have eliminated meat (except certain fish/shellfish) from my diet. I lean heavily, though, on soy. Tofu is a wonderful thing to me as is soymilk. Now after your posts, I'm wondering.

I don't appear to be lactose intolerant, I handle milk without any stomach issues - but I'm not sure what the signs are. I was told once lactose intolerance was indicated by diarhhea, but is it?

With fish, yes, I stay to ones that are not on the various watch lists - wild caught salmon, wild caught shrimp, farm raised catfish. Now and then a bit of snapper or tuna.

But my main protien is legumes and tofu. I switched to olive oil a long time ago - also read that corn oil is problematic, so stopped using that.

I wonder now. I've seen an advertisement for the "Lupus Recovery Diet" but haven't wanted to shell out the $30 for the book. Does it follow the guidelines you're mentioning?

Thanks

Thank you very much for your feedback!

I haven't heard of the lupus recovery diet, but will make a note of it and may be able to produce it. Sometimes free libraries are capable of acquiring books like that for us.

Corn is one of the most GMO'd foods along with soy; no surprise there. Our US government has been making it possible for farmers to sell it below cost as well, even to mexico unfortuneatly. I've gladly heard that mexicans prefer thier own corn.