Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help For My Graduation Project Please :)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Red face Help For My Graduation Project Please :)

ok for my graduation project, we have to do an interview of someone that relates to our projects. i'm doing my project on Lupus.
    and i was wondering if anybody would be willing to answer a few questions for me...it would help me out alot...!
    instead of just ONE person, i'm using multiple people, which should also help me out lol.
    so here are the questions- and if you could send the answers in a private message to me, or if you want you can reply to the thread, whatever works for you!
    thanks in advance!
    Ashley<3

1- Whats your name?
    2-How old are you currently?
    3-How old were you when you were diagnosed?
    4-How has your life changed since diagnosed?
    5-What meds did you start on?
    6-What meds are you currently taking?
    7-Do friends treat you differently knowing that you have Lupus?
    8-Do family members treat you differently?
    9-What symptoms made you think something was wrong?
    10-How long did it take for you to be fully diagnosed?
    11-How often do you visit the doctor?
    12-What specific doctors do you visit?
    13-Has Lupus affected you at all financially?
    14-What about mentally?
    15-Has Lupus stopped you from doing what you wanted/want to do in life?

THANK YOU GUYS SOOOO much!!!
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

Thanks

Thumbs up Graduation Project

Ashley,
    I happen to be home, recovering from oral surgery, so here goes:
    1. Marla S. Dean
    2. 51 yrs. old
    3. 51 yrs. old
    4. I can't do all of the things that I used to do with as much energy as I once did. I have to slow down and rest more often. I'm about to quit teaching and I plan to just do some subbing and/or tutoring as I feel capable.
    5. a NSAID
    6. I'm on Plaquenil, a NSAID and I'll be starting on Methotrexate soon.
    7. Yes, my co-workers seem a bit put-off by the fact that I just don't participate at the school the way I used to.
    8. My husband seems to worry about me more. Our adult children all seem to still expect Mom to be the same and still expect me to be able to do things for them.
    9. A rash on my neck and face, strange sores on other parts of my body, extreme fatigue, extreme joint pain.
    10. Two years
    11. Lately, about once per six weeks
    12. PCP, a Rheumatologist, an ENT (spasmodic dysphonia), an Orthopedic Surgeon (osteonecrosis)
    13. I'm about to quit teaching, but I would have been doing so anyway, since my husband has military orders to move to another state.
    14. Mentally, I've noticed that my mind isn't as quick as it used to be (could be my age, too) It does upset me that I can't move around the way that I used to, but I'm basically a positive person, so I just go ahead and do it, albeit a bit slowly. (We love to travel, and I've even traveled to NYC, Honolulu and Japan in rented wheelchairs). This disease WILL NOT keep this old girl down.
    15. NO (see #14) I've been a military wife, raised 5 kids, been a La Leche League Leader, a midwife's assistant, a semi-professional singer, and a Latin teacher. We're about to start a new phase of our lives in Monterey, Cal. The AF is sending my hubby for a PHD at the Naval Post Graduate School. I may move a bit slowly, but I intend to get re-involved in the Officers' Wives' Club, take some long, slow walks on the beach and I plan to take a class in Italian while I'm there, so I'll be ready when we finally get to Rome! I also hope to get the two grandsons out there to spend some time with me.

I hope that this helps you with your project. My students can tell you; I'm too stubborn to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do!
    Marla

Thanks

Hi Ashley,
    My answers might not be the best.

1- Whats your name?
    David Grimm
    I've not let it change my life.
    Desonide and Triamcinolone Acetonide
    VA cant make up its mind what to put me on.
    No
    No
    Bad rash on the top half of my body.
    VA still working on it.
    That depends. I keep trying to get all my different doctor visit on the same day.
    Dermatologist and Rehumy.
    Yes. Buying the gas to go 200 miles one way to VA really hurts.
    14-What about mentally?
    I don't think about my Lupus. I'm already messed up mentally.

No I want let it. I love to sail and I'll die sailing.

Hope this information helps and I know its a lot different than most will send you.

Sitting on the beach drinking lemonade.
    Fair wind and following seas.
    David

Blog Entries
    Thanks

thanks marla and david !
    your answers are perfectly fine.
    everybody is gonna be different since its kind of an opinion thing.

this is such a big help. you guys have like no idea! hehe
    thanks again! :]
    && still feel free to answer...who ever else wants to... the more the merrier !
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

Thanks

1- Whats your name?
    Oluwa
    4-How has your life changed since diagnosed? Yes. I am filled with justifiably excuses for why I am not able to full fill many of my goals, dreams and desires. Like walking with a shoe that doesn't have a sole.
    Plaquenil, Ultracet, Prednisone
    Plaquenil, Deplin, Reglan, Protonix, Xyzal, Clarinex, Fish Oils, Lortab, Lunesta, Flexeril, Iron, Lasix
    7-Do friends treat you differently knowing that you have Lupus? Not in a significant way...maybe a bit of empathy, sadness
    Not in a significant way...maybe that I am weak mentally, not just physically..buck up girl.
    9-What symptoms made you think something was wrong? Unable to walk or hold a toothbrush. Joint pain, facial rash, exhaustion.
    10-How long did it take for you to be fully diagnosed? If I look back, I started showing symptoms when I was 20..so along the way I was diagnosed and treated for things that I 'didn't have', but was all actually Lupus related. So, would that be 23 years or a day when I said I think I have Lupus and met the criteria that day?
    11-How often do you visit the doctor? Depends on which doctor. Every two months. Annually. And as symptoms dictate.
    12-What specific doctors do you visit? Rheumatologist. Ophthalmologist. Gastrologist. Dermatologist. Family Doctor.
    13-Has Lupus affected you at all financially? Not really. I retired early not because of Lupus.
    14-What about mentally? More spiritually. I lost my sparkle...my inner light. It flickers.
    15-Has Lupus stopped you from doing what you wanted/want to do in life? Yes. Most definitely yes. I had plans for when I retired..but I still have more life to live in me to complete those..
    Last edited by Oluwa; 05-01-2009 at 06:46 AM.
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi ashley, good luck on your project.

phyllis
    have reduced work schedule, reduced physical activity
    started on plaquenil, medrol injection,
    now on methothrexate
    not really, just more sympathetic, and worry about me
    yes, family has become protective and smothering
    hands constantly hurt, extreme body aches, sores in mouth
    it took me 13 years to get full diagnosis, in 1996 i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia
    i see my rheumy or her assistant every 2 to 3 months, depending on what is going on with my treatment
    i see a rheumatologist, primary care physician, cardiologist, nephologist, opthamologist, urologist,
    my increased dr and med bills have affected my finances by eliminating my ability to save money, and by reducing my fun times.
    mentally, lupus has made me accept reality, i now have to face this disease head on, and can't ignore what is happening any more
    absolutely, doing what i want to do is no longer an option
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

1- Whats your name?
    Becky

I can't work a the jobs I use to work at. So not working. Hope to start working for myself. I can no longer walk. Have a lot of doctors. Take a lot of meds. Pay a lot of medical bills, In a lot of pain.

Plaqunel,Naproxen,

Fluoxetine Mobic(Naproxen), Plaqunel, Methyprednisone Levothyroxine, Furosemide, Protonix, Potassium, Vit C, Multi Vit,

Yes. Some don't like it when I don't feel like doing things. Some tell me how they think I feel instead of asking me how I feel.

They get tried of hearing me complain when I feel bad. They don't like it when I forget things I used to remember. They don't like it that I don't aways get thing done.

Joint pain, fever, fatigue, hair loss, thrush.

It took years. But after I when I finally got a rheumy it didn't it take long after that.

I go to a lot of doctors. So I spend a lot of time sitting in the exam rooms.

Some times I go every month Some every 3 months. at each doctor.

Primary care doctor
    Rheumatologist
    Orthopedic
    Urologist
    Cardiologist
    Pulmonologist
    Ophthalmologist
    Endocrinologist
    Vascular
    Gastroinerologist
    Gwyn

My ins. doesn't hardy play anything. So we have a hard time paying all the bills. Meds also make it hard. We make agreement with the Hospital. Doctor usually don't make agreements and that make it harder

14-What about mentally?

I have depression, anxiety,

It stopped from having children because my reproductive system shut down, years before I knew I had lupus. Job, Walking.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Thanks

1- Whats your name? Giverny
    2-How old are you currently? 19
    3-How old were you when you were diagnosed? 19
    4-How has your life changed since diagnosed? Not as much of a party animal and i drink/do less
    5-What meds did you start on? Plaquenil
    6-What meds are you currently taking? Plaquenil
    7-Do friends treat you differently knowing that you have Lupus? Some of them do, some for better and some worse
    8-Do family members treat you differently? Yea they worry about me lots
    9-What symptoms made you think something was wrong? My legs hurting so much and my raynauds
    10-How long did it take for you to be fully diagnosed? erm 18 months?
    11-How often do you visit the doctor? 6 monthly
    12-What specific doctors do you visit? Rheumatologist
    13-Has Lupus affected you at all financially? Yea I had to quit my part time job where i earned about 600 p/m and now just live off my student loan (5000 per annum :S)
    14-What about mentally? Not really, i get upset when i can't do stuff but other than that ok.
    15-Has Lupus stopped you from doing what you wanted/want to do in life? Kind of, I wanted to sort of aim high on the career ladder, do a graduate scheme etc etc, be able to support myself, but seeing as a 12hr week at uni kills me, can't imagine it working out Although I have other stuff to keep me happy.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

1- Whats your name? regina conwell
    2-How old are you currently? 41
    3-How old were you when you were diagnosed? 38
    4-How has your life changed since diagnosed? marriage broke up, can't do things with kids like i use to, tired all the time can't wait to get home an nap
    5-What meds did you start on? plaqunil
    6-What meds are you currently taking? tramadol, folic acid
    7-Do friends treat you differently knowing that you have Lupus? No my close friends are more understanding when i back out of something since i am so tired.
    8-Do family members treat you differently? my children help more around house and understand why i can't do things with them like i use too. the rest of realative treat me the same. my mom does worry more than she use to.
    9-What symptoms made you think something was wrong? glands in back of neck swollen, rash on chest, fever, hair loss, weight loss, was put in hospital three times for dehyrdration . the gastro doctor is the one who diagnose me with the sle with all the test he had to run.
    10-How long did it take for you to be fully diagnosed? if i go back to my twenties with the fevers rashes and so furth i say at least 20 yeears
    11-How often do you visit the doctor? for my annual than she sends me every where else than back to my internist.
    12-What specific doctors do you visit? internist, cardio, uri the reumy doc in practice with internist so i see both if need to at same time she goes and ask him what to do with me if she needs help.
    13-Has Lupus affected you at all financially? yes, lost job i had when first sick couldn't get out of bed pain so bad fatigue so bad. doctors bill are high have to pay first 2400 than i am done for year .
    14-What about mentally? i get depressed, and angry but most of all look at one day at a time and say i woke up today.
    15-Has Lupus stopped you from doing what you wanted/want to do in life. i have to slow down sometimes change plans try to seperate the days of week with a goal instead of do too many things in one day. takes me three days to clean house haha

i hope this helps your project have great day.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

1- Whats your name? Samantha Seivertson
    2-How old are you currently? 22 years
    3-How old were you when you were diagnosed? 22
    4-How has your life changed since diagnosed? I have started on medicines that I take everyday and I actually have a diagnosis for the symptoms I've been having. A bit of relief has kind of set in.
    5-What meds did you start on? Plaquenil
    6-What meds are you currently taking? Plaquenil and Birth Control
    7-Do friends treat you differently knowing that you have Lupus? Not my true friends
    8-Do family members treat you differently? They don't know
    9-What symptoms made you think something was wrong? Major hives on rotating parts of my body, body aches-especially when it's cold or going to rain, chronic fatigue, random airway swelling
    10-How long did it take for you to be fully diagnosed? I've had symptoms for 10 years, after I saw a rheumatologist it took him 3 months.
    11-How often do you visit the doctor? once every few months or so
    12-What specific doctors do you visit? rheumatologist, allergist, obgyn(I was also diagnosed with the lupus anticoagulant antibody-high risk for blood clots and miscarriages)
    13-Has Lupus affected you at all financially? yes, more frequent visits to the doctor and money spent on prescriptions and some days missed work from the pain or fatigue
    14-What about mentally? yes, it's taken a toll on me mentally. i know that there's a chance i'll live a long and painful life. i'm glad there's a diagnosis but i'm scared of what new symptom i'll have now and if they're going to be able to treat it or not.
    15-Has Lupus stopped you from doing what you wanted/want to do in life? definitely not, you can't "live" like that. it's hard some days but i get up every day for me and my boyfriend. i try to live my life like there's nothing wrong for the most part, it keeps my mind off of things and helps sometimes.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I'm not.