Thread: Cuious about Sed Rate

Thanks

Default Cuious about Sed Rate

Just getting some labs back. I may have asked this before, but part of a larger post. Is it possible to have a normal sed rate and C-Reactive Protein and still be in a Lupus flare? What is really perplexing, is that I have intolerable back pain in the morning and my knees and hips as well as some muscles are sore. I would have thought that alone would bring the Sed Rate up. Now I'm wondering if one of my drugs (plaquenil) could affect that reading...thoughts?

Larz

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

C-reactive protein (CRP) and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) are indicators of inflammation. They are known as acute phase proteins, which reflect a measure of the acute-phase response. The term "acute phase" refers to local and systemic events that accompany inflammation. The clinical use of acute phase proteins is as an aid to diagnosis, not a confirmation of or dismissal of a diagnosis. Because the acute phase response is relatively non-specific, the value of measuring acute-phase protein concentrations is to assess the extent of inflammation reflecting momentary disease activity. Similar to tumor markers, acute-phase proteins may monitor the course of disease in response to therapeutic intervention (drug treatment regimen).
    Therefore, you can still have the disease with symptoms, but markers of acute inflammation are normal which only reflects the ACTIVITY of certains aspects of the disease at that particular time..not weather or not you have the disease.
    I hope that I've answered your question, please let me know if you need more information.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Saysuzie, thanks for your reply! I appreciate your information. I may have asked the question wrong however. I know I have the disease, but could I have an active flare going on and have normal readings on these two tests? I'm curious as I ponder whether I need to change to an immunosuppresent drug. I think one of the points my Rheumo tries to make is that "your sed rate is normal" so you can't be in much of a flare. Oddly enough, when she said I was in a flare last time, my sed rate was only 26...not skyrocketed by any means.

Larz