Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help!

Thanks

Unhappy help!

How does everyone stay so positive! I just started working again after losing my job of 16 years due to lupus. The lupus just gets me so depressed. I feel like it is not worth it to keep fighting. I only have two friends and one of them tells me to stop talking about being sick. She tells me that when I talk about it it brings the devil into my life. I am sorry but I feel so bad and dont have anyone to talk to. I have been reading alot of post and some of you are so positive and have a great outlook. How do you do it. Please help!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi dmott,

My name is Rob, and I'm a moderator here. I moved your "help!" post and gave it it's own topic title in the "New Members-Introduce Yourself" area of the site. Giving it it's own topic makes it alot more visible to everyone and will produce many more responses this way. Thanks,

Rob

Thanks

Default thank you

thanks Rob, I really dont know how to work this site to well. Thanks for moving it. I really need all the support I can get right now.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm probably not one of the ones you thought was positive. But the only thing that helps me be a little more positive is Prozac. My lupus causes me to be very depressed a times.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Dmott,

Don't worry about it, you'll get the hang of it. Anyway, sorry I got sidetracked, but I'm back. I was diagnosed with SLE 5 years ago. I might come across as positive alot, but believe me, I have my lows. Ironically, I had been in my career for 16 years too, and I was not doing well health wise. I eventually got the Lupus diagnosis, and I'm on full disability now.

The way I see things, is that despite Lupus, I still have good days, I just don't have them every day. There were alot of doors that closed for me after being diagnosed, but I've also discovered many new ones that I never would have found otherwise. I've learned hobbies and interests that are within the limitations Lupus puts on me. I know about wanting to give up. Not long after the diagnosis, I lost everything I had worked so hard for. Career, fiancee, friends, all gone. I gave up completely and I am lucky to have survived a suicide attempt. But now I can see that had I succeeded, I would have missed out on so many good things and never had the chance to meet new people and make new friends. All these good things have happened in the midst of me dealing with Lupus.

Lupus will change a persons life, but it's certainly not the end. Just because the path I planned so carefully for my life can no longer be followed, it doesn't mean that there are no alternative paths that are just as good, or even better.

I find that coming here and talking to others with Lupus does wonders for keeping a person positive. I can come here and talk to people who understand what it's like to live with this disease. I know you think you don't have any more good days left ahead, but I'll bet that you do. Right now, you feel physically, and mentally awful. But you can learn to live with and treat your symptoms, and still have a fulfilling life. Anyway, welcome to our group. we are a pretty laid back bunch, so please feel free to jump into the conversation whenever you want. You can cry, vent, laugh, or anything else here, we'll always listen. Hang in there, things WILL get better.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 04-22-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

First off welcome to this site, it does help to talk to others and try to work out issues. So sorry about your job loss!
    I think finding some positive things in your life can help. I know at times I feel so depressed and its hard to find the positive side of things. Eventually I come out of my funk and its good for awhile, it sure does help to talk. If your friends aren't supportive talk here. I came here because most people don't understand, they just blow you off and don't care.
    You should also talk to your DR about your depression.
    What are your symptoms with lupus

Pam

Thanks

I was told I had lupus in 1997 since then it has effected my brain, kidneys. lungs and heart. I take so many pills a day I feel like a junky. They have taken me off of the Imuran and put me on methotrexate to see if that will work. I take 10 pills every friday and I am sick for two days. I am dealing with alot of swelling in my legs, liver and around my heart. It just seems like I get on thing under control and something else happens. I am so glad I found this group, like I said before my friends just dont understand how I can be so sick and not look it. Does anyone have a problem with weight gain from all the steriods? I have gained 82 lbs and dont even look like myself anymore. That is another reason I get so depressed. I came from the doctor today and was told due to all the steriods I now have cushings syndrome. I will try to keep my head up, thanks for all the replies

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dmott View Post
    How does everyone stay so positive! I just started working again after losing my job of 16 years due to lupus. The lupus just gets me so depressed. I feel like it is not worth it to keep fighting. I only have two friends and one of them tells me to stop talking about being sick. She tells me that when I talk about it it brings the devil into my life. I am sorry but I feel so bad and dont have anyone to talk to. I have been reading alot of post and some of you are so positive and have a great outlook. How do you do it. Please help!
    We all have our ups and downs with lupus. IMHO this site has actually helped many people to have more ups than downs simply by having an army of caring people out here who understand. I was as down as down can be when I first came here and would not have been able to deal with a bunch of people who were pretentious in any way.

It's OK to vent, nobody will judge you, and more than likely there is someone here who has experienced exactly what you are going through, can relate, are living proof that the sun will come out tomorrow - and you might just have an up day! Maybe just a little upper..lol..but every smile is priceless.

You have more than two friends now.

{{{{hugs}}}}
    Ayah
    Believe in Tomorrow - Appreciate Today
    http://twitter.com/LupieAyah

Thanks

Smile Hang in there

Hello there...

You have lupus...IT does NOT have you. So long as you have a single breath left in your body, you are fighting and winning this battle. Don't ever give up and don't ever give in. Everyone here has had days (weeks, months, years) of battling depression related to this disease. So everyone here can relate to your sadness. I know it is overwhelming at times. You are not alone. We are here for you. Keep fighting the good fight. Your courage in doing so strengthens us all.

Best wishes for a brighter day,

Jana
    Life is measured not by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You are not alone. I just joined this website last week after being diagnosed two weeks ago. I'm definitely not upbeat and am feeling down myself. I also don't have many friends and nobody to talk to about this. If you've read my recent posts, the only person in my life is my boyfriend. He's truly my saving grace. Anyway, we're all here for you!
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I'm not.