Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autoimmune Patient Strikes Back!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Default Autoimmune Patient Strikes Back!

Hi Everyone, this is a bit long, but I think you'll like it-

I spent the day at the Neurologists office yesterday doing some more tests (evoked potentials), and I need to do another MRI later this week. I've been having some bad fog combined with some depression as well as numbness in my extremities. Sure signs of more CNS problems. I won't know exactly what's going on until after the MRI, but I have a fairly good idea, and I guess this isn't really unexpected to me. Most likely it's more CNS problems caused by MS, and I'll have to have another round of IV methylprednisolinone done. I have big plans for this summer, sailing, flying at the airshow, so I'm trying to take this in stride and realize that now is a good time to get another IV round out of the way, so I can do what I want this summer. It's still cold and rainy here, so if I have to sit around at the hospital for treatment, it's way better than doing it next month when it will be 70 degrees and sunny everyday.

Anyway, on to the good stuff. For all of you here who have been telling horror stories about bad Dr's and Rheumo's, this one is for you. At the end of my rather long visit to the Neurologist yesterday, I was sitting talking with my neuro in a common area divided by cubicles. If you listened, you could hear other conversations going on. Well, there's another neurologist there who I'm learning is not only unpopular with his patients, but not very well liked by other staff at the office, including my Neuro. I hear this guy talking down to his patient like she was some schoolgirl and he was the principal. He's telling her that it's a waste of time, and quite frankly stupid, to be going onto the internet to research potential health problems. Well, I think we all know that there are good websites with good, solid info, and there are bad ones you should steer clear of. We're smart enough to make that judgement for ourselves.

Well, this guy is still lecturing his patient when he says "You should only talk to your DOCTOR about your health problems, not a bunch of misinformed hypochondriacs on some website". Well, my neuro knows me fairly well, and he see's me gritting my teeth and turning red in the face. He stops talking, kind of smiles and shakes his head. He gestures towards the obnoxious neuro and says "Be my guest". He then runs back and grabs one of his assistants and a nurse is says "hey you guys, watch this". Let the bloodbath begin.

The lady leaves, and I approach the obnoxious neuro and ask him if he really believes people should not research their own illness. Here's the conversation-

Neuro- Only Dr's are qualified to research such things.

Me- Come on doc, it's not like people are incapable of comprehending this stuff as it applies to them?

Neuro- There is nothing but sad people with angry incorrect onfo on the net.

Me -Wow, what if I told you I am a Moderator at a website that gives out very accurate information, and helps people to learn about their disease so they can take back some control of their own health and treatment?

Neuro- You ARE NOT QUALIFIED T0 DO TH-

Me- Not Qualified!? Do you want to have an intellectual sparring match with me? Ok, lets play the IQ game, my IQ is (such and such), what's yours Doc?

Neuro -This is B.S. and I am done talking to you!

Me - Well doc, I'm not done talking to you, in fact, I'm just getting started. The information on the site I mod on all comes from verifiable sources and medical books, and is very accurate. I'm just a guy who works with others on the site, and we are doing our best to help people understand the facts of their disease, and possible treatment options. What's wrong with that?

The neuro turns around and starts to storm out of the office, but I couldn't resist a parting shot. I say, "You know doc, unlike you, I'm not pretending to be a neurologist!" I was a bit worked up at this point, and failed to recognize my tirade had attracted a small crowd. My neuro and others there start clapping. I couldn't believe it. So, I took a bow, and went home. I wish the patient he was talking down to could have stuck around to see it, as she was very upset and in tears when she left.

So, that's yesterdays adventure. I felt really good after all of it. A little bit of justice and vindication for all those who are mistreated by cold, ignorant Dr's.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 04-21-2009 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks

WAY TO GO ROB!!!!
    Kasey
    aka SuperNoodle

I am a Lupie Lethologica Goofy Groupie

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

Wife to my HubbyMan and Mom to a Multitude! Lovin' my sweet pup Ellie!
    Come visit our new store, www.hayleystreasures.com

Thanks

Hoooooooooooooooooooooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful Rob! i need you at my Neuro thursday, they have always talked down to me, and made me feel stupid, and like a hypochondriac! I am so proud you took care of that arrogant @##$%%!!!! lol Have a great day! You made mine! Kathy
    Sorry i'm not home pain! and don't leave message I am not calling u back!

Lupus,Fibromyalgia,Hypertension, Sjogrens,Raynauds,

Macular degeneration,Depression,Arthritis

Thanks

WOW!
    I like that............

Thanks

WTG Rob sock it too them. --- Debbi

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Way to Go! Do you think you could come with me to my appts??????
    Lauren

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Good Job Rob, My hubby goes to the same PCP I do. My hubby told him he bought me a computer, and that I spent most of my time on twitter and a lupus sight. My doctor told him she needed to be careful about that. He said some things are good and some is misinformation, some people pray on sick people. Thought that he's right because on other sights. There's always someone trying to sell the next cure for lupus. But I'm glad I don't have to deal with that here.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Thanks

GO ROB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You gave that "neuro" a GOOD and well deserved spanking!!!!!!!! You made my day once again!!!!! Today was pretty tough for me too so it couldnt have come at a better time!!! THANK YOU MY FRIEND!!!!! By the way, your summer plans sound GREAT, good for you Rob!!!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Thanks

Way to go Rob! My new urologist was not happy when I started talking the mumbo jumbo to him at my 1st appointment. I told him that I like to look up the issues that I have and what the docs tell me that I have and he just rolled his eyes and started talking in a different direction. I just laughed.

But you know what they say about docs..."They are practicing Medicine"!
    Money cannot buy you happiness but it can buy you a big enough boat to allow you to pull up along side it!!! - David Lee Roth

Thanks

LOL Cptnblah! Well put! This should be on every flagpole outside of those drs offices who "think" they're God!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette