Thread: myositis

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Post myositis

Does anyone have lupus and myositis? My doctor says that i have more than one auto-immune diease and these are the two he suggested. Bonita

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi bonita, i just read up on Myositis,

I have not been diagnosed with this, but i have seen other members reference a diagnosis of it....which type does your dr. think you have?

i know others will be along who can help you.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default myositis

Thank you Mountaindreamer. I have so many symptoms and when i was first diagnosised at 58 almost 3 years ago he told me i had stills diease but then changed his mind. I have a really good rhuemy. Bonita

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bonita View Post
    Thank you Mountaindreamer. I have so many symptoms and when i was first diagnosised at 58 almost 3 years ago he told me i had stills diease but then changed his mind. I have a really good rhuemy. Bonita
    on this site there is always someone who can help

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default myositis

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindreamer View Post
    hi bonita, i just read up on Myositis,

I have not been diagnosed with this, but i have seen other members reference a diagnosis of it....which type does your dr. think you have?

i know others will be along who can help you.
    Mountaindreamer the two of the myositis dieases he said that i might have are the polyomyositis and the IBM along with lupus. Because i am experiencing some muscle weakness now and some of my levels are up. The other week i had 16 tubes of blood drawn and then he called me and said that my kidney levels were elevated so i had more blood drawn and i will see him this thursday. But in the meantime i had blood in my urine and he put me on and antibiotic for a bladder infection. I also had some protien in my urine. He says that all the autoamunie diease mask each other it is hard to sometimes just say that this is what you have so he calls it undifferencated autoamunie diease but still says lupus and myositis. I had a pet scan done and that was suggestive of myositis. Bonita

Thanks

I have been dx with Lupus, Myositis, FM, and sleep apnea. My Rheumy is just treating the lupus for now cause the treatment for the myositis is somewhat similar. I am still gainfully employed but it is getting harder and harder to do it. I get so weak at times that I have to use a scooter to get from one end of the building to the other and I also park in no parking areas at work just to get to where I am going.

My father offered to take me to Mayo in June. I am working to get everything in order to get there. I hope that they can shed new light on the matter.

Good luck!
    Money cannot buy you happiness but it can buy you a big enough boat to allow you to pull up along side it!!! - David Lee Roth

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi bonita,

be sure and let us know what you find out on thursday....i guess you will be our forum expert on myositis. So sorry that you are experiencing all of these other symptoms....i have also found out that there is so much that intermingles, diagnosis can be difficult.

you are obviously doing a good job staying on top of your symptoms....keep up the good work.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Unfortunately, it is very common for those of us with one auto-immune disease to develop other auto-immune diseases. Myositis is often seen as an overlap disease with Lupus. It is common because Myositis is a general term for inflammation & weakness of the muscles. Lupus causes inflammation throughout our bodies, so muscle inflammation is common. Most of us with lupus have muscle pain (myalgia), and many of us have muscle weakness due to inflammation (myositis).

Also, it is common for people with Lupus to also have polymyositis (an auto-immune disorder that presents with muscle weakness, especially in the muscles closest to your trunk, such as your shoulder and hip muscles. As a result, you may find it difficult to get out of chairs, climb stairs, brush your hair or work with your arms over your head) and/or dermatomyositis (an auto-immune disease that presents with muscle weakness and a distinctive skin rash).

Typically, there is little or no pain associated with the weakness. People with myositis have increased blood levels of creatine kinase (CK, a substance that leaks from injured muscle), abnormal electrical activity of muscles (seen in an electromyogram, or EMG), and muscle cell degeneration and inflammation that is found in a muscle biopsy.

Prednisone or other cortisone-like drugs are most often recommended for the treatment of myositis, and may be used in combination with other immune-suppressing drugs.

What is rare is to find a person who has Lupus and suffers from NO overlapping diseases. So, it is not uncommon to have more than one auto-immune disorder going on at the same time!

I wish you the very best
    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default myositis

Thank you evryone for the replys and i am finding out that the overlapping dieases are very much so. I even asked my doctor about the ana test because it came back in a speckled pattern and from what i read that means overlapping dieases. My husband and i are walkers because of his copd and diabeties and i usually have to take darvocet before we walk because of the pain in my hips and thighs but i will not stop doing this untill i cannot walk at all because of all the degeneritive diease in my spine the walking is helpfull for that. I already have a plate and screws and cage in my thorasiac area and get frequent injections at pain clinic for the cervical and lumbar so time will tell Bonita