Thread: I see the heart doctor...

Thanks

Default I see the heart doctor...

tomorrow for a consult. I have been having some tightness and/or pressure in my chest. My primary doc referred me to him. So does anyone know what will happen. I know that I am scheduled for some sort of echo or something I cant remember the name of.
    I'll check in when I get back.

K
    Kasey
    aka SuperNoodle

I am a Lupie Lethologica Goofy Groupie

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

Wife to my HubbyMan and Mom to a Multitude! Lovin' my sweet pup Ellie!
    Come visit our new store, www.hayleystreasures.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi kasey,

i think we must all be falling apart. i don't know exactly what tests your dr. will run, but i can tell you that these tests don't hurt. The first tests that were run on me were xrays and stress test. Because of my lupus, they did not put me on a tread mill, they medically made my heart rate speed up to see if the heart was put under stress. I passed the stress test, so the heart muscle is fine.

Are you seeing a cardiologist? I will say, my cardiologist and his staff are some of the most compasstionate and professional medical folks that i have dealt with. they know so much about the heart now, and i am sure you will get answers.

Remember, the tightness and pressure are common with lupus....but, i am glad you are getting it checked out.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I think that what you may be talking about is an echocardiogram. This is a sonogram of the heart and is also known as a cardiac ultrasound. It creates a two-dimensional picture of the cardiovascular system.

Echocardiography is used to diagnose cardiovascular diseases. In fact, it is one of the most widely used diagnostic tests for heart disease. It can provide a wealth of helpful information, including the size and shape of the heart, its pumping capacity and the location and extent of any damage to its tissues. It is especially useful for assessing diseases of the heart valves. It not only allows doctors to evaluate the heart valves, but it can detect abnormalities in the pattern of blood flow. By assessing the motion of the heart wall, echocardiography can help detect the presence and assess the severity of coronary artery disease, as well as help determine whether any chest pain is related to heart disease.

The biggest advantage to echocardiography is that it is noninvasive (doesn't involve breaking the skin or entering body cavities) and has no known risks or side effects. An echocardiogram can be done in the doctor's office or a hospital. After undressing from the waist up, you'll lie on an examining table or bed. The technician will attach sticky patches (electrodes) to your body to help detect and conduct the electrical currents of your heart. There is nothing to fear in this procedure and takes 30 minutes at the most!

I hope that I've answered your question. Let us know how your appointment goes!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Noodlemom, I have had this test several times. The first time I was a teenager. I have Pulmonary Hypertension and other Heart Problems . Now they want me to have it every 6 months but I don't. Because I have a very high deductible. This test is the name that Saysusie told you. It looks just like a ultrasound You lay own you side. I was always on my left side. It doesn't hurt but they use a lot of pressure.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Thanks

HubbyMan calls it an echo-stress test. I am flaring again and my brain is mush.
    Kasey
    aka SuperNoodle

Blog Entries
    Thanks

good morning kasey,

i hope your flare has let up a little today. I too had this test, they described it as the same type test that an expecting mother gets to check on the baby. There was nothing to it, and the technicians are really kind.

As i said, they know so much about the heart now, and i am sure they will be able to determine what is going on with you, and either treat it or fix it.

have a good day today, and take care of yourself.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My word this sounds like an awfully scary test that i hope i never have to have. Good luck with it and my thoughts are with you. I also experience a tight chest however i dont belive it is of great concern.

Good luck, best wishes and make sure to keep us all updated.

Thanks

Today was my consult. They did an EKG which came back fine. He said what I was describing didnt sound like Pericarditis, nor when he listened to my heart did it sound like it. I have a stress test in a couple of weeks. Lotta unnecessary worry.
    This doc was very cool. He told me that depending on how I am that day I can either do the walking or they can give me something oral to get my heart rate going. It all will depend on how I feel.
    He listened to me and validated my feelings.

K
    Kasey
    aka SuperNoodle

Blog Entries
    Thanks

good job noodlemom,

i am so glad the dr. was kind to you. I did the medicated stress test, and the med was given through an injection....wish mine had been oral.

I am glad that the dr. was able to releave some of your worries, and now i hope you have a wonderful evening and a good nights sleep.
    Phyllis

share a smile today