Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi I'm Samantha.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Hi I'm Samantha.

My name's Samantha. I have had symptoms of lupus since the 7th grade, I am now 22. Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with lupus, (because I finally got in to see a rheumatologist). I was also diagnosed with the lupus anticoagulant antibody. I am now on Plaquenil and it's working great so far. I am a paramedic and love my job! Hopefully my disease won't progress so far that I can't work anymore. I had an incident a few years ago where my left eye went black midway down; they think it was a TIA, (mini-stroke). If I have another clot or 2 or more miscarriages then they will start me on blood thinners too. I have been a little down about all this news, but my boyfriend is SO attentive to everything that's going on and is very supportive. He's the best thing and is the only thing keeping me sane. My gallbladder was removed six weeks ago, could have been attributed to the disease but not sure. Anyway I just am looking for some support. I'm so glad there are things out there for us. Thank you.

Currently still in Weston Village, Runcorn, United Kindom
    Thanks

hey just wanted to welcome u to the forum and give u a heads up....
    The worse the bad times are the more we appreciate the good things in life..

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Thanks!

Just wanted to say thanks. I'm a little scared and don't have much support other than my boyfriend. My parent's aren't involved at all. Anyway, talk at ya later.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I'm not.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi micromedic,

i certainly hope you are the responding paramedic for some of our members....some have had such embarrassing experiences, and are reluctant to call for help...congrats to you for your professional choice, i have the utmost respect for first responders.

thank goodness for your boyfriend....a good support team is so important with this disease....sorry about your parents uninvolvement, it can be so difficult for people to accept the severity of lupus especially when we look ok, but feel like crap.

so glad you are already getting good results from plaquenil....it takes up to six months for plaquenil to work the best that it is going to...you are off to a great start.

i know you are frightened....we have all been there, and this is what the members of this forum are here for. We have helped each other overcome the fears, and we help each other get past one phase and move on to the other.

i would suggest that , if possible, your boyfriend go with you to drs. appointments...it helps to have someone to take notes, and help you remember different symptoms. Lupus symptoms come and go, and it is sometimes difficult to remember all of them.

Also, lupus flares can be intensified by ultraviolet lighting from sun and fluorscent lighting. In your profession, you are probably in the sun a good bit of the time....you should start protecting yourself by wearing clothing that covers your body, and sun block (spf 55 is recommended). If you notice that fatigue sets in, a rash breaks out, or that pain intensifies, these could be the result of being in the sun.

so glad you found us and decided to join....please feel free to jump in anytime and join some of our threads. Let us know whenever you have any questions, we have some incredibly knowledgeable members who can answer questions from diet, sun protection, meds, lab results, etc. and we even have our share of incredibly funny comedians.

hope you are having a great day....we have several members from texas. They will all be along later.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Red face

Thanks so much mountaindreamer. And yes, I have picked up people in their most vulnerable state, I don't mind, it's part of my job. I have picked up from naked people to people that just can't get out of bed due to an illness and feel so badly for calling us. I don't mind, again it's part of my job. I've been doing this since I was 17, I started as a volunteer firefighter and got into EMS and have loved it. I am planning on getting onto an air medical helicopter. I love working with sick kids, I worked at a children's hospital for a year and it was the absolute most rewarding thing I've ever done.
    And yes, my boyfriend can't always make my appointments, but I love when he does because like you said, it's important for someone to be there for me. And my parents not being involved is something I'm used to now. It sucks sometimes because I want to just pick up the phone and call my mom and tell her something, but it seems like every time I do she ends up telling me I'm stupid for doing something or not doing something right, or the way she thinks I should have done it.
    I am scared, like I said. I'm so glad this website is here and there are others out there for me. Some days I don't even feel like getting out of bed and other's I feel great. Picking up the stretcher and carrying our three 50lb bags really takes a toll on my 115lb, 5' body.
    With the lupus anticoagulant antibody, this is what scares me most right now. I am at extremely high risk for strokes, heart attacks, and miscarriages. I really want kids and would love to carry my own but that might not be possible for me. If I have two or more miscarriages or have another clot, they're going to start me on blood thinners. Have I metioned I'm only 22?! Anyway I'm sorry I'm rambling on and on. Sometimes I just feel so lonely. The other day I just started crying for no reason on my boyfriend's shoulder. I know he understands but I feel so kid-like when I do stuff like that. I'm just a little blue lately. Anyway, have a great day. Today's a slow day for me, I just got off a 24 hour shift and we were up most of the night. Talk at ya later.
    -MiCroMediC
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I'm not.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi again,

you know, your lupus can go into remission. we have one member who's lupus has been in remission for 15 years now, and she has had 3 children during this time....so, there is hope.

Also, several have had children even while lupus was active. I am not familiar with the lupus coagulant, but there are a few incredibly knowledgeable members who i know will be along shortly and can ease some of your fears about this.

you might want to protect yourself from the sun, and see if it reduces some of your intermittent fatigue and pain.

get some rest, i know you have earned it....
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

HI Micromedic,

Just to say welcome and all the members here are fantastic and so lovely and will help you all the way.Sending you gentle hugs.

love
    Angel.xxxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Hi Samantha,

I'm Maria and would like to personally say welcome to our family. I have only been a member for about a month and I feel like this is a part of my extended family. We all go through similar things and can relate to one another better than most people cause when we talk to "outsiders" they will listen, but have no way of fully understanding how we feel cause they don't have Lupus. I'm sorry to hear that you have been having symptoms for so many years, but i'm very happy to hear that the Plaquenil is helping. Does the doc have u on any other meds? Its nice to have other people that work in the medical profession here. There are a few of us that work or have worked in the medical field here so you will have other people to relate to in that way as well. I'm on Short Term Disability through my work but I do work in the medical field but doing data entry and i'm going to get my Pharmacy tech license and if i can ever go back to work then I will try to work in the pharmacy and eventually work in a hospital. I love working with people and my biggest passion is helping people. I hope u find this family to be loving and supportive. We strive to help eachother out as much as possible.
    God Bless you always,

Maria

Thanks

Hi There, welcome to the site. I don't post often but I am very active in reading the wealth of knowledge available here.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi just wanted to welcome you here. I have been though a lot of the things you have. I'm glad your getting relief from your meds. You'll will gets so much support here. Everybody here was gone through so many things. They will give you answers and tips. They will make you Laugh,cry. or laugh til you cry.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky