Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Common is thyroid problems in Lupus?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default How Common is thyroid problems in Lupus?

I have a thyroid problem. I was wondering if others here have it too, what type? and how it effect Lupus?
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Thanks

I have hypothyroid. My TSH was 6.86

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Do you take synthroid? My Endo doctor was the one that sent me to the

Ruemy because she thought I had lupus. So if it wasn't for her who knows

when I would have known about my lupus. After I went to my ruemy and got

my lupus diagnosis. Went back to Endo she told me she would need to keep a

eye on my thyroid now. Because she thought the lupus was going to cause

me thyroid problems. And about six months later My thyroid was off. So I was

wondering if others have this to because when I talk to others with lupus

they say don't have thyroid, or they never been checked.

Wish I still had this Endo she left to be a stay at home Mom.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Thanks

Hi Wrightrs...

Actually there are quite a few members here with Lupus that have thyroid conditions as well.

My father has Hashimoto's disease, and I've seen quite a few members with that diagnosis in their signature line. And if I'm understanding correctly, thyroid conditions run in the auto-immune family. So I believe that's how they are connected with Lupus.

My doctor just checked my thyroid function, because I was having some odd symptoms, but my levels were fine.

Sorry you lost a great Endo doctor...I've had a few of my doctors decide to stay at home with their kids. That's a wonderful thing for their family, but not so good for those of us that need the 'great' doctors.

Hope this helps.....

Lori

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks Lori, Both my mother, sister and niece have thyroid problems. I sometimes wonder if my niece has lupus also. She has a lot symptoms. I keep telling my sister to have her checked

Take Care,
    Becky

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi becky,

yes, i have thyroid issues, and have been diagnosed with auto immune thyroiditis. My thyroid will get inflamed and swell, but the bood tests come back normal. My rheumy says this is common, and could be lupus attacking the tissues around the thyroid....we watch very closely, but so far no problems.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

yes, I do take synthroid 50 mcg and one more thing my testosterone was on the low side as well.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

So Sorry Phyllis, Mine swells to at times!!! Glad they keep a eye on it!!! Cause thyroid causes a lot problems too!!! I can't really tell if it bothers me or not. Cause I don't know if when I feel bad if its thyroid or lupus. But my sister gets real sick from her thyroid at times.
    Last edited by wrightrs; 04-19-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Take Care,
    Becky

Thanks

I have thyroid issues too. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and was put on Armor, a low dose. They also found a goiter on one side. However, soon after they did the biopsy of the goiter, they retested me (blood test) and found my levels totally normal. No Hashimoto's. So they took me off Armor and I have to go back in June so they can check the goiter after one year. I still feel cold all the time, and I thought that was thyroid related, but maybe not.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm glad your thyroid is better now!!! Not sure if thyroid makes you cold or not. But a lot of people with lupus has renaulds and that causes cold hands and feet.

Take Care,
    Becky