Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair root pain?

Thanks

Question Hair root pain?

Does anyone have painful hair roots? On top of my head and near the crown, the roots of my hair hurt without even touching. If I actually touch or try to brush, the pain gets worse. Painful enough to make my eyes water. Does anyone have this issue? If so, how do you get releif? Is their any? Its been going on for a month now.

I've had hair thinning and falling out before, but no pain when it happens. I've had the hair roots ache, but figured probably due to hair falling out at times.

That's the other thing, before I've had hair fall out more as in thinning badly. Now I've started noticing bare areas, but not exactly bald patches. I've also noticed a few times when I washed my face, I've had eyebrow hairs, 1 or 2, in my hands. Even an eyelash now and then. That has never happened before. I have noticed my eyebrows do appear to be a little thinner. I've never needed to pluck, always blessed with nice arch that was reasonable and not thick. Now I can see a little skin in the eyebrow arch. What is going on? My hairs gotten bad enough I have to brush over and lightly pull back to cover the new bare areas. I could deal with the hair loss, but it hurts to brush or put my cloth headband on. So I can't really do anything at the moment. I even been taking otc med for pain, but doesn't help at all on the root pain.

I'm at my wits end, just looking for some relief. I've made jokes of hurting from "head to toe", but never ment it literally. My feet are a pain all the time too, but thats the other thread(lol). Does anyone know what can be causing this?
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Hi Cheryl,

Im sorry to read you have to be going through this. Im wondering if you have changed hair products or hair dyes in the last few months? A new hair brush? If not, this could be down to medication and i would let your Doctor know anyway.He can help you. With many of the meds you take, it is normal for hair to start thinning.But it doesnt mean your hair will fall out. Also, as you get older its very normal for hair,eyebrows,lashes to fall out natrually. They will and do grow back. If you tie your hair up, say in a pony tail, when you take your hair down, you will notice more hair than normal falling out.Aspecially then if you wash it.This is because, if your hair was down, the wind would blow away any hair that natrually falls out and you never notice.But when tied up, you are stopping that process and its a big worry when washing your hair to find what looks like clumps falling when really, its normal. You are supposed to loose 150 hairs a day. When my hair was long, i lost about 450 hairs a day I have extremely thick hair and curly yak!
    I know its not easy to go through, so let your doctor know and he will help you with solutions that can go on your scalp, like a medicated shampoo and stuff.
    Hope this helps a little.
    love
    Angel.xxxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Thanks Angel, always so quick to respond.

Ok I didn't think to lay it out, so here goes. No meds, except otc for pain and sleep(but I keep that to a bare minimum). Same hair products and only dye my hair every 4-6 months (always same brand and shade). Same brushes, hardly use a comb. I bought some selsum blue for the seborreah rash, its gone so only use it 2x a week. Never had root pain with it. I've noticed thinning at the crown a year ago, no biggie. Now though its thinning fast and leaving bare spots down the back a little and a few on top. I wear low ponytails, loose. I only wash my hair every other day now. I've done all doc had mentioned for scalp issue and hair thinning, but it getting worse fast. Thinning hair runs in the family, but mum says slow and around 40, no pain. I'm 35, so a little concerned. I can handle the hair loss, but this constant pain is wearing me down.

Thanks for letting me know on the eyebrows and lashes, relieved to know that. I guess it was bad timing on it to start, made the hair loss look worse. At least one worry from my mind. Thanks again for always being quick to help, I appreciate it so.
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have a lot of hair loss at times. A certain amount is normal. Could be meds, hormones, and certain illnesses. (Lupus) Stress.

Thanks

Thanks wrightrs, their does seem to be so many causes I may never know what it's from.

I just want some relief, is their anything that can stop the pain? I'm really not too concern about the cause (but thankful for the inputs). I'm really just trying to find relief. Something I can do or take to make it stop hurting so much.

I can handle pain well, blessed with a high tolerance. This is different and new, so I have no tolerance for it. It just hurts everyday, so sensitive to the touch. Ashamed to say I haven't brushed or washed my hair in 3 days. Just a low ponytail, pulled back loosely. Tonight I need to wash it and brush it, not looking forward to it. Hoping someone has something they've done to help relieve or cut down on the pain.

Thanks for the help, you guys are sweet and thoughtful as always.
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Dont worry about not washing your hair.You are keeping in the natrual oils so its a good thing.Now the brushing.Your avoiding see the hair on the brush.You know you loose hair natrually anyway,so there will be that hair of each day your not brushing your hair.So dont panic as it'll seem like allot of hair is on the brush...its just the collection of the normal hair you should loose....but your not brushing so its all just waiting to come out.
    I had a look on google.Go and look.People are talking about root pain hair. Ok i got the words back tofront there lol. Some are going on about sulphur and nerves...go and look It'll put your mind at ease.

love
    Angel.xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Have you tried Tylenol or anti inflammatories!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi cheryl,

do you have a dermatologist? maybe you could get in on an emergency basis.....if the pain is too bad, then go to the hospital and let them figure it out.

You say you are not on meds other than otc pain, but you could be taking something with ibuproferin in it, and you may be allergic to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. I am, i break out into a major itching rash all over my body...i avoid even otc meds with anti-inflammatory in them.

The good news that i can offer, if your hair has been thinning faster than before, it could be caused by a flare....in this case, it should grow back....
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Thanks all.

I am still taking the same otc meds as always. I have allergies, so used to the do's and don'ts and what to look for. (but thanks for the input, some don't know that)

Truthfully I'm not worried about the hair loss and the amount. Used to bother me, but I got over it. Its the pain I'm scared of. The brushing is more painful than the washing, its why I so do not want to brush my hair. When I wash it, I definetly have to brush it of course. Its becoming such a dread. It seems to hurt a little more each day. I must admit, I chickened out again and didn't wash or brush my hair tonight either. Tomorrow I have to, a family reunion on saturday.

You know, may be my imagination, but I could swear my hair roots had a pink tint to it (wierd, but looks like it). My scalp is really white, so no seborreah acting up again. Its just strange and painful. I want to hold out for doc appointment, but its 4wks away. I just want pain relief so bad and unsure if they can give me any. Most the time I come from docs all disappointed as usual. I feel like I need to dunk the top and crown of my head in cold water, its almost to a burning pain now. Wonder if I would hear a sound like you do when the hot pan hits the cool water, lol.

Seriously, any ideas how to soothe the pain? I thought to rub some cream, but running my fingers in my hair hurts too. I just don't know what to do. Even hubby looks at me like I'm crazy, hair roots hurting like that?

I did look it up, thanks Angel. Never thought something like that would have web results. Still browsing, but here you guys have the best answers. Sometimes faster than I can find. Thanks again all for helping, I pray relief comes soon. May relief for your pains come soon for being so kind and helpful.
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    Thanks

So sorry your still having this problem. Hope you find relief soon!!!
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky