Thread: Lupus and weight loss

Thanks

Default Lupus and weight loss

What causes weight loss in lupus even you are eating normally. Does it mean your lupus is active even your blood work does not indicate that?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Do you have mouth ulcers? Weight loss and poor appetite can be caused by the illness itself or by some medications and there are meds that may cause stomach upset or mouth sores (also called mouth ulcers). What meds are you taking? Do you have any GI problems? This may also be contributing to your weight loss.

Half of all patients with lupus have a loss of appetite (anorexia), with resulting weight loss. This is particularly more common in the early stages of lupus. Also, weight loss and loss of appetite are usually associated with disease activity. If your disease is active or you are in a flare, these two occur more often.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've had times I couldn't eat and just thinking about food made me sick. But most of the time I eat to much. Either way it's hard. I haven't been eating right now either. I do better if I stay on a schedule

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes, I find that my eating habits improve when I put myself on a schedule. I have had an eating disorder (I don't know if that is something you ever get over!) and continue to have an unhealthy aversion to food! As such, I have to make concentrated efforts to eat and to eat the right things.
    I've found that it is much easier to eat 5-6 small meals per day. In that way, I don't feel as if I am gorging myself and, therefore, do not set off those anorexia bells that tell me not to eat at all

Try eating very small amounts 5-6 times per day (it could be just an apple at 10:00 am and grapes at 12:00pm, then crackers & cheese at 1:00 pm, and so on). Make sure that what you are eating is healthy and at each intake, drink a full glass of water!

I wish you the best of luck
    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

Thanks

I had gained some weight as a few years ago i dropped to about 6 1/2 stone (im 5"5), but went up to 9 stone, which was healthy, however, I've noticed i've lost a bit again now, so i'm about 8 1/2, even though I eat a lot, although I sense it might be linked to problems with my thyroid :S

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Have you had your thyroid checked? Yes, thyroid problems can either cause weight loss or weight gain. If you've not had yours checked, please do so ASAP as it can also cause some serious problems!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

Thanks

My TSH was 6.86 which indicate low thyroid(hypo). Normally hypo makes you gain weight. I am on 50mcg thyroid hormone. I think my weight loss from lupus.
    Last edited by ssingh; 04-16-2009 at 09:56 AM.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I've lost about 20 lbs since my SLE diagnosis. I'm 6'1" and my average weight hovers around 220 now. I'm sure much of the weight loss is from muscle loss because I'm nowhere near as active as I used to be. My days of hiking the Grand Canyon and jumping out of perfectly good airplanes are over. But, I also have problems with my appetite. Most days, nothing sounds good. Most of the time I have to make myself eat. I have 4 or 5 small meals or snacks each day, and that works better than having the traditional 3 meals.

Thanks

I think mine is from muscle loss from long term prednisone use. I have looked in Plaqunil causing myopathy as well. It it combination of the drugs and Lupus. I maintained myself at exact weight for 10 years but last year I lost 14 pound in about 4 weeks after shingles and lost complete one size in all my clothes, from medium I went small.but I started to lose weight prior to shingle even started. I am already thin guy. I start to Max. protein Boost.
    All that happened but my blood always looked good. Then I think it might be depression but was not depressed. But I was so worried why this was happening. In the routine check up then found small mass on the Kidney pole. Doctor is doing ulstrasound every year see how that is growing

Like Rob is saying above that he use to hike and stuff, same here I played tennis everyday and was very active sports. I miss all that.
    Last edited by ssingh; 04-16-2009 at 01:55 PM.