Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stress

Thanks

Default Stress

Good morning-

I'm curious to see how many fellow Lupus sufferers see a huge exacerbation of their symptoms due to stress. I have been under a great deal of stress the last few months... work, the furnace going in my house, some plumbing issues... now MORE plumbing issues. I have been feeling worse than usual and am assuming that stress is the culprit.

For those of you who have these issues, what is your best advice on how to manage stress. I have been going to the gym, and it helps somewhat, but am curious what works for all of you. Of course, I'm sure that winning the lottery would work for me, but I seem to have better odds of having an autoimmune disease (I have both Crohn's Disease and Lupus).

Thanks!
    be well-
    Tracy

Blog Entries
    Thanks

happy easter
    I also have major stress in my life, have had for a long time. Somehow you have to find something that helps you relax and take your mind off your problems for a bit. I like to read, play with my dog, computer games, and exercise.
    I just have to live with the things taht happen in my life that I can't control, and learn to accept that.
    Hope your day goes great for you.
    Pam

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Oh yes, a lotto win for me too would be such a help, private healthcare, holidays, buy a house.....but back to reality.

Yes stress makes me so much worse and i feel so sick. Recently it got so bad i stayed at a friends for a few days, just got away. Didnt need no money, but it has helped. TO be outside in fresh air is good.Little walks.Changing routine.Sitting in the garden, listening to the birds.For me, all this helps. Hope you find something to help you through.

love
    Angel.xxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Winter is very stressful to me and I get depressed. But when spring and summer gets here. It gets better. I get out and see the neighbors. My husband sets me up a pool. The kind you get at walmart with filtering. I exercise and it and it helps my joint. It also helps with stress. All year I do relaxation and breathing exercises. That help so much.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Hey for the Winter blues, i suggest buying a lite box. Its a very very bright light with different relaxing noises on.You sit near it, or right in front with your eyes closed.I swear it feels like summer is hear, especially when you hit the 'ocean' button. It does make a massive difference to your emotions, i know i got one. I'll take a photo of it and put it on my profile for you to see.Its only a small plastic thing.....but boy.....good stuff and doesnt cost that much.xx

love
    Angel.xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Its on my profile now, just took a photo! x

Thanks

Angel, I've thought of getting one of those, but wondered if they were safe for lupus patients with photosensitivity. It hasn't bothered you then? I have finally accepted the fact that I get SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) as this winter was terrible for me in terms of feeling depressed and awful, both emotionally and physically. Once spring made an appearance, I was much better!

As far as the original question, yep, stress gets to me too. When I was first diagnosed 2.5 years ago, I was told that stress can bring on a flare, and so I was diligent about not letting stress get to me. I kept telling myself "no stress, no stress, no stress," and I would FORCE myself not to dwell on what I can't change. So when people were acting like total idiots at work, I reminded myself that a year from now I won't even remember what they did. I spend an hour every morning meditating, praying, and journaling, and that's been a huge help in releasing stress. I exercise when I can, and that always helps. Unfortunately, I wasn't feeling well enough all winter to do much of anything, but I started walking a bit two days ago. Yesterday I walked for 30 minutes (short rest after 15 mins), and I was so excited!!! That happy feeling stayed with me all day. My doctor finally relented and will let me go to water aerobics and the hot tub and the health club I belong to, so that's a great stress reliever as well. The other thing that helps me relieve stress is feeling connected to other people. Whether it's here, facebook, or other groups online, or the unconditional love I receive from my friends and minister at church, it all makes a world of difference to me. I also recently discovered my local Lupus Alliance group, and they have some great groups and activities for support.

What messes me up with stress is my physical condition. While I can let go of work stress and other concerns to a point, when I go into a flare, I start that negative thinking, feeling like I'll never get past it, and it just keeps getting worse. I'm working on it, and right now I'm out of the flare (finally!!! It's been since December!!) ) and I hope I stay like this for a long time!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Well so far so good, i dont seem to be affected.It has special bulbs in....not like fluorescent.It looks like the sun is out when its on you dont look into it like i first did.....saw black squares for hours . Now i shut my eyes and think of holidays and warm beaches. I wont lie, if your depressed your depressed, its not a cure....but....i have severe anxiety n depression and sometimes it does actually make you believe 'life is good'. Just have a look on the internet...let me look on the box for any info. Oh life is good i just found an easter egg i forgot about

LED technology to simulate natural sunlight. No information.The makers are called Zennox, but im sure if you google lite pad or lite box for s.a.d, you know the seasonal disorder, it'll tell you more. I only use it for 5 minutes recently as my attention is constantly on the dog eating the cats
    You can check about the type of bulbs then.Id hate if you got one and it affected your skin, so please check first, cause i dont have the malar rash, so check first.I never thought of that to be honest. I think all should be fine, but just in case.

I have felt a small difference.Whether its the actual visualisation and relaxation i am not sure. But it does help to trick the mind its sunny n hot on a dark n cold day... sucker

Thanks

Thanks for all of that information Angel!! I'll ask my doctor, or actually I'm going over to the Lupus Alliance on Tuesday, so I'll see if they know anything about it or have suggestions. At least I know I have until next fall to get one if I can. I've heard they do make a difference, and after this winter, I'm open to trying almost anything!

(Did you have to mention chocolate?! I'm trying to forget about the chocolate brownies sitting on my kitchen counter at this minute...!)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I vote we make chocolate the "cure all" for whatever ails us.
    Phyllis

share a smile today