Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: temporary fix?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default temporary fix?

    Hi group,

    I'm three months into my lupus diagnosis and still not on treatment (a combination of my doctor having a baby and me traveling internationally). I have an appointment tomorrow where we're supposed to talk about using immuran. The problem is that I am in such intense pain in my joints (and they are all swollen and hot), that I don't think I can wait another 8 weeks for it to work. I am strongly adversed to taking prednisone except in dire emergencies, given that it can coax my crohn's disease out of remission by making me steroid dependent. I was wondering if anyone here has tried a steroid dose pack for pain, like the kind they give you for drug-induced lupus? I think 6 or 7 days on steroids wouldn't be too big of a risk if it gave a decent return.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,115
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 80 Times in 69 Posts

    Default

    hi rosebud,

    my rheumy gave me a script for the steroid dose pack, so that if i ever need it, i won't have to wait to see her. I have not filled it yet.

    my rheumy would not start me on immunesuppresant while in flare. first, she got me out of the flare with a medrol injection, then started me on methotrexate. i hate the side effects, but have really felt better since i started it a couple of weeks ago. our hope is that with mtx, i won't have to take high doses of steroids....don't know if it will work, but we are trying.

    the medrol injection was only 120 mg of steroids, and is only given 3 or 4 times a year....so dosage was small, but it knocked me out of the flare.

    hope your appt. goes ok today.
    Phyllis

    share a smile today

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,189
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Hey Rosebud,

    My rheumy gave me an script for prednisone and told me to take the 7 day plan, but he gave more in the bottle so if I ever need some I can call him and then take them....
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Well, I did the 6-day pack, which knocked out the joint pain for a total of 3 days (but they were 3 good days!). I started imuran on the same day as the prednisone, and yesterday I developed a fever. Today it's up to 102 and they've pulled the imuran until they can figure out why. I'm a little distraught because that now makes me intolerant to remicade, 6MP, methotrexate, and potentially imuran. Do you guys know whether it's possible to just run a fever temporarily or if it always means you can't take the drug? The same thing happened to me with 6MP, but it took several weeks longer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •