Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prednisone?

Thanks

Hi dmott,

I've also developed Cushing's after being on prednisone for 20+ years and have gained about as much as you if not a little more. At this point I don't gain any weight but don't lose any either. It can be quite frustrating because it gets more difficult to drop weight once the 'thick trunk' develops.

I was diagnosed back in the 80's and prednisone was it. There were no other choices. It is a drug that helps me a lot, it's just unfortunate there are so many side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by dmott View Post
    I saw your post asking about the weight gain on prednisone. I think everyone is different so people gain and some people lose. I have gained 82 lbs being on this drug for 9 years. I am only taken 10 mg every day (unlesss going through a flare) but being on this drug for so long as given me cushings syndrome so please be very careful when taken this medicine. Your doctor will know the correct dose to give you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Smile

Sorry that you feeling bad and having joint pain just take one day at a time . some days will be bad some days will be good.

maria

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have been on predinisone for almost 2 years different mg and it really is a good drug but the lower the dose the more of your symptoms come back. Weight gain has not been and issue with me because i lost 60 lbs over 4 years agao an have kept it off. My doctor has just taken me off the imuran after a year and a half because my blood counts were really low but i am also on plaquinel and my pains in my joints are commming back again and i have had the worst heartburn i have ever had and do not know if that is from not having the imuran but i also have barrote esophegus. Bonita

Thanks

I was feeling better within a week but it was a big dosage 25mg... I'm having problems now that my dosage has been lowered but I have to keep on a lower dosage for diagnostic purposes. It tends to absolve all your symptoms and mask your blood results and stuff I guess. I have been on it for 7 weeks now and not put on any weight. I'm not sure if I've had side effects because my body is out of control at the moment anyway... Good luck!

Thanks

Exclamation aggravating

Its aggravating to think all this time and they still are basically using the same medicines! over and over! and prednisone has such bad sideeffects longterm its crazy! i have only taken it 2 and half years everyday, 5- 60 mgs , but unfortunately I have gained 35lbs, and it has masked a uti for atleast 4 months, and now, I cant even fight the uti with 4 rounds of high dose antibiotics. i am on Cellcept 2 so I am sure that doesnt help. I still get inflammation even with the prednisones, cellceppts, ect... I too really wish more medicines and research will change up our medication options! Kathy
    Sorry i'm not home pain! and don't leave message I am not calling u back!

Lupus,Fibromyalgia,Hypertension, Sjogrens,Raynauds,

Macular degeneration,Depression,Arthritis

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Not only are the medicines the same ones that have been used forever, but I think about how lupus never has had a really high profile person, or celebrity, other than Ellen Degeneres as an advocate. It seems like all the other groups, AIDS, Muscular Dystrophy, etc., have had several. No wonder lupus hasn't had the recognition it so rightly deserves!!!

Thanks

Thats very true! I read where Michael Jackson has it? There is a website that I found when I typed in Celebrities with Lupus and it had 15 or so peole on it. I will see if I can find it. http://cure4lupus.org/awareness/celebrities.htm
    Sorry i'm not home pain! and don't leave message I am not calling u back!

Lupus,Fibromyalgia,Hypertension, Sjogrens,Raynauds,

Macular degeneration,Depression,Arthritis

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Cindy! Oh steroids . . . SO much fun! It usually takes a few days for them to work when I take them. However, I do not gain weight, I lose weight! They affect everyone differently. I have to take them in the morning because they give me a huge burst of energy! (then I tend to over-do things because I have energy) Unfortunately, you have to figure it out by trial and error because everyone is so different. I hope you start feeling better, and I hope that you get it figured out soon!
    A good friend will help you move, a GREAT friend will help you move a body . . . Let me know if I need to bring a shovel!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I just saw the end of a comercial for lupus on TV! (I just flipped the TV on right after I posted my last reply) I dont think that anyone famous was in it, but it was advertising a website called could I have lupus. Has anyone seen the whole commercial?
    A good friend will help you move, a GREAT friend will help you move a body . . . Let me know if I need to bring a shovel!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

32 YO Wife, Mother and Advocate
    Lupus - Subclavian Bypass May of 2009. Ectopic Lentis, Scoliosis(not lupus related)
    Current medications: Aspirin, Plaquenil, multi vitamins, folic acid, Methotrexate, Tramadol PRN

You can find me on facebook at www.facebook.com/sororenotis
    Please tell me you are from here and who you are if you add me there.

I work full time and Leader for International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement
    http://www.iaamovement.org/