Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning Leg Pain aka Myalgias

Thanks

Unhappy Burning Leg Pain aka Myalgias

Does anyone suffer from this? I am on my way to a lupus diagnosis and im thinking its muscle inflammation. It goes from my knees into my back. Last night it burned and ached and i felt pressure i guess from swelling. I got sharp pains too and its horrible. My feet went totally numb and tingly. I couldn't really move. Anyone else get this?? What can be done? Its horrible and brought me to tears and is only getting worse :/ -Britt
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Methotrexate- 2.5mg 4 pills 1x/week
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Bentyl- 10mg 4x/day, Miralax- 17g 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day
    Flonase 50mcg 2 sprays each 1x/day

Wanna know my story, just ask!

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi mommyof1

numbness, tingling, pain in toes and/or fingers....yes, seems to be a common symptom.

when do you go to your dr? hope you can get a diagnosis soon, so that you can begin developing a treatment plan.

sometimes if the pain is too bad in my legs, i take a pain med that helps me sleep some. I also use lots of pillows propping up any area that is throbbing.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Yeah my drs wont give me any prescription pain meds till they diagnose me they said. I took 4 ibuprofen just so it was bearable enough to go to sleep. Ill try the pillows though. I am going to Johns Hopkins Hospital in baltimore, maryland to be seen but am waiting for them to call with an appointment. I am hoping soon because its horrible. I took a nap yesterday and slept 8 hours last night and am still tired and foggy today. Hope you are well. -Brit
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Thanks

Hugs..Brit..

I am sorry to know you are in pain...be careful with such large doses of Ibuprofen...hard on the stomach. Try Aleve...it is OTC Naproxen in smaller doses. Prescription strength is 500 mg whereas OTC is 220mg. Try 2 of those at the same time....

I don't know why your doctor isn't providing you with prescription pain relievers...they could still treat the symptoms without a diagnose. No one should be in pain that is intolerable. It isn't for them to gauge your level but to assess it and treat it...

Could be your sciatic nerve acting up...is their pain in the center of your butt cheek too or too perhaps inflammation around your disc..pressing on your nerve if your legs when numb and tingling to your toes...?

Did you injure your back?

Where are these sharp pains? Both legs and feet?

I would call John Hopkins to see if they received your referral for an appointment if that is why you are waiting for a call....

Maybe try a tub soak, heating pad...ice pack..

Wish you well soon, Brit..
    Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Hey again. Thanks for the suggestions. I had aching sharp pain and puffiness under my knees last night. I used a moist heat heating pad and it helped while it was on the there and finally went away after an hour or so. I am still getting rashes and am tired and having burning pain in my legs. My recent blood tests all came back normal and the drs seems to think my heart murmur and being double jointed are causing my symptoms. He said keep an open mind and is testing me every 3 months for some stuff. He also said there is not treatment for what he thinks is wrong. I am still going a few hours away to a hospital(Johns Hopkins in Baltimore)to see their rheumatology clinic. This rheumy is a woman maybe that will make a difference! lmao anyway i know i haven't had my complement levels checked so that makes me curious. What I dont get about the drs idea is that it still doesn't explain my rashes/photosensitivity or the burning pain in my legs not my joints or the ana tests that were positive that he seems to think are irrelevant. I mean I was in a flare and feeling bad and got two positive anas. One of which was high. I just dont think that is coincidence when it also showed up around the time the rashes started reacting to the fluorescents and were getting more frequent. I am hoping this appt at the hospital will help identify something. I go May 21st for that. I still have no pain meds or treatment :/ Well I guess thats all for now then take care all hope you are well. -Britt

P.S. I had any xray of my lower back which came back normal and i do not have shooting pain down my leg i dont think its my sciatic nerve i had a nerve test done on my legs a while ago which was normal. Its not a blood flow problem either and thats why my neuro said it was raynauds. But the pain in my back is burning and aching and sometimes sharp pains the same as my legs.
    Last edited by Mommyof1; 04-17-2009 at 12:48 PM.
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sorry your in so much pain!!! I have leg pain too, but haven't been able to get anything done about it. I just keep telling my doctors hoping they will do something. I have Deep Vein Thrombosis which is common in Lupus. Not sure if my leg problems comes from that. Hope you find relief soon!!!
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi mommyof1,

i agree with oluwa....i see no reason the dr. can't give you something for the pain. there are so many options out there that aren't narcotic. a lot of people here have success with tramadol, so you might want to ask your dr....he should be able to call in a prescription without you having to come in. You might try talking to his nurse when you call, sometimes i can get meds by just calling her.

hope you are having a decent weekend, you deserve some relief.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

I agree with Oluwa and Phyllis. They should be giving you something.

One thing I caught onto was you mentioned "burning" pain in your back. Have you been checked by a rhuemy for fibromyalgia? "Burning" is usually associated with fibro. Mine began in the back moved to the buttocks and then down the legs. If you haven't been checked, ask the rheumy. Also there is a book by Daniel J. Wallace "Fibromyalgia for Patients and Families." For Fibro, I have be rx'd Flexerill 10mg and Zanaflex 4mg (2) per night to help relax the muscles.

Please keep us updated and let us know what happens.

Take care,

Faith

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi brit,

after reading faith's post, i agree that you should be checked for fibromyalgia. The burning pain is how i describe my flares in my trigger points. It is an easy test, the rheumy simply presses on the specific trigger points, and you will know immediately because it will hurt.

I still think you should call your dr. and tell him how debilitating your pain is, and ask for help....like i said, lots of people get relief with Tramadol.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Hey there. Thank you guys for the posts. Yes I have been checked for fibro. When I went to see that crazy rheumy he did all my finger joints and stuff too. I don't have any tender points at all but one time I remember right about my knees it was tender in the muscle. Idk if that has any relevance to it or not. I have been feeling better lately except a migraine and some sharp joint pain on and off. Im getting a rash though today which I haven't had in a few days. My son had a seizure last night due to a high fever of 106 so that put a lot of stress on us and he has a double ear infection so we have to get tubes put in. Im not looking forward to that but I know he needs it. He had a fever of almost 103 yesterday but wasn't acting sick at all and I feel bad for not knowing. I just keep praying and I know God will help it all be ok. Thank you all for the input! I was thinking if it's not fibro couldn't it be lupus related muscle inflammation? I had a nerve test done a few months ago which was normal too and I have raynauds as well so that is my guess. I go see a new rheumy may 21st at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore Maryland. I really think it will be what gives me some answers. I will keep you all in my prayers and please pray for me and my son! God is the one giving me my strength right now. I almost don't know how much more I can take. Talk to eveyone soon. Take care. -Britt
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day