Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The gift of faith

Thanks

Default The gift of faith

I have been an Atheist for 30 years and can give you the best arguments on why their is no God, I have been in debates and always hold my ground.
    Now facing this monster in my family, I find science has let me down and the only place left is "a higher power"
    What a great thing it must be to believe with all you heart.
    To believe that God does not give you more then you can handle.
    That someone is watching over you and keeping you safe.
    That suffering will only bring you closer to him etc etc.

I am no longer in the business of changing minds just wish I had that faith.
    After being away for church (12 years of Catholic School) I find myself walking into church, I was driving down the road yesterday and there was a statue of the virgin Mary outside a Church surrounded my flowers and a wood bench to pray.
    I made a u-turn and sat there, talking to a statue and making every deal, offer, negotiation I could think of. "If you save my kid, I'll do this or that...

I wish I had the faith. I wish sins of the father were not passed to the innocent.

Thanks

I will agree with you...I am at a loss how anyone handles something so huge as disease or for some death...just anything monumental without God. I can say He is a source of comfort for me. Jesus Christ being the Son of God and Dying on the cross for me is a great comfort. Right now the docs are unsure what is happening to me and I have the comfort if I do die, I know where I am going.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Over the years, I've found that I just don't believe. I have wanted so much to have the comfort of believing in a higher power, something, anything. I just have not been able to believe anything I can't see with my own eyes. I have people who are friends here, who have some tough times they are going through, and they ask for people's prayers. I can't tell my friends I won't say a prayer for them. So I muster all the sincerity I can find, and say a prayer hoping there is someone, or something that will hear them. I don't know, but maybe that's how faith begins.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Silentscream, Sick n tired & Rob,

First of all i send you all gentle hugs and so hope life gets better for you all.

I so want to believe. I believe there is 'something' n 'somewhere'. At Christmas when i was in so much pain, i actually walked and sat alone in the chapel.My first visit since i was a child. I was so desperate and in so much pain and just needed a hug. I spoke to myself in my head to the statue of Jesus, yet still thought to myself.....what if i am talking just to myself? As i walked in and sat there....i did feel 'something'. Dont get me wrong i did not feel it on my skin, but deep inside i felt that hug, like someone somewhere heard me. I walked away from the chapel thinking, mmmm i wonder if there is a place? The next day they pulled out that dreaded infected and ulcerated tooth that had plagued me. Coincidence...maybe, but i think this is when like Rob said the belief begins.

More recently, i found myself praying or 'talking in my head' again. I so prayed for god to give me the strength to call a vet (which i promised i would never ever do) and to make sure my dog did not die in to much pain. I found that courage and made that call....they arrived so quick and she died so fast and very peacefully.
    I thought later....coincidence? Now i question myself.....what proof is there that there actually is a god? This is where the learning to believe in a faith comes in. I am trying to believe in god. I just do not have the tools to do it on my own. I know there is something....and somewhere....there has to be.This can not be the end. Too many coincidences i think for this to be it...the end. I hope i find the faith like many people. Ive never been very religious, but i feel something. I like reading peoples posts here and feeling that 'belief'.I wish i felt it 100% now. Maybe as i learn one day i will.

Love
    Angel.xx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Silentscream,

I am glad you sat down and talked to the statue. I hope you did feel 'something' and keep believing that your prayers will be answered. I realise i waffled on in my post a bit, but i know what you were saying and so understand. You must feel so much pain. We are all here for you and hope we can help a little.

Love n hugs
    Angel.xxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

as i have said on previous posts, i very much believe in angels....i know my grandmother, and my dear friend send me messages and signals. I believe they do many other things that go unnoticed. I feel an occassional hug, i feel their brief presence. I feel a calmness after talking to them/god/myself....whomever it is.....

If believing provides some relief from our world, then believing is the right thing to do. Because true belief is personal . Silentscream, i am glad that you followed the angel guiding you to that bench. Sounds like you got some comfort from the little chat.

phyllis
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Silent Scream...hugs.

It is understandably hard to open your heart, your trust to something you thing you can't see, feel or meet physically. But that is what faith is.

Being an atheist, I am sure you heard all the reasons why, and no doubt have had many discussions with those who believe that you can indeed see Him and feel Him. In the dormant plants, the feeling your heart literally feels...the pain in your stomach...That is Him..and etc. And discussions why people have diseases and etc...so...

I feel we fear betrayal, we fear ridicule believing in something that goes against our logic of seeing is believing. When we bear our soul or inner most feelings we feel vulnerable. Especially to human beings that is why I think some feel the same why towards God, religion, Christ. Untrusting...

Faith...how to get, have it. Open your heart and mind that He does exist. Let him happened...when you feel the weakness in your stomach surrender your love, your trust to Him. Usually people surrender when they feel they have no where else to go and wait for that miracle. And judge when it doesn't occur. Living a life filled with compassion for others, understanding the suffering of the world and believing when we die there is a better life that awaits us. That is faith.

And with that faith our perception of the world, of ourselves changes and we can see the miracles, big and small and endure our sufferings.

Knowing there is a better life, without suffering after this finite life on earth guides us. The hope gives us calm, to find happiness in the world's suffering, the suffering in our homes, with our children..

I feel He talks to me, while I pray out loud, in my heart, in my thoughts. I hear Him in my head, answering the questions I ask of Him. Though I am not well, His words give me hope. I believe in his promise, I am with you always, even to the end of age...

To me it is not illogical to believe in something higher than myself. I realize without faith I have no hope. When I say I am losing hope..I am questioning my faith. And reaching for books, not only the Bible..I enjoy Buddhism too..the books give me back the fading hope...and not let my own suffering cause it to disappear. Without it, I will have nothing. Without it I am nothing.

Love,
    Oluwa

I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Thank you,
    I admire your faith.
    May I ask a basic question?
    If God is in charge of all. He allows or even gave my daughter, you and others Lupus. Good innocent people. Is that a God of love? He has the power to cure and chooses not to.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oluwa View Post
    Silent Scream...hugs.

It is understandably hard to open your heart, your trust to something you thing you can't see, feel or meet physically. But that is what faith is.

Being an atheist, I am sure you heard all the reasons why, and no doubt have had many discussions with those who believe that you can indeed see Him and feel Him. In the dormant plants, the feeling your heart literally feels...the pain in your stomach...That is Him..and etc. And discussions why people have diseases and etc...so...

I feel we fear betrayal, we fear ridicule believing in something that goes against our logic of seeing is believing. When we bear our soul or inner most feelings we feel vulnerable. Especially to human beings that is why I think some feel the same why towards God, religion, Christ. Untrusting...

Faith...how to get, have it. Open your heart and mind that He does exist. Let him happened...when you feel the weakness in your stomach surrender your love, your trust to Him. Usually people surrender when they feel they have no where else to go and wait for that miracle. And judge when it doesn't occur. Living a life filled with compassion for others, understanding the suffering of the world and believing when we die there is a better life that awaits us. That is faith.

And with that faith our perception of the world, of ourselves changes and we can see the miracles, big and small and endure our sufferings.

Knowing there is a better life, without suffering after this finite life on earth guides us. The hope gives us calm, to find happiness in the world's suffering, the suffering in our homes, with our children..

I feel He talks to me, while I pray out loud, in my heart, in my thoughts. I hear Him in my head, answering the questions I ask of Him. Though I am not well, His words give me hope. I believe in his promise, I am with you always, even to the end of age...

To me it is not illogical to believe in something higher than myself. I realize without faith I have no hope. When I say I am losing hope..I am questioning my faith. And reaching for books, not only the Bible..I enjoy Buddhism too..the books give me back the fading hope...and not let my own suffering cause it to disappear. Without it, I will have nothing. Without it I am nothing.

Love,
    Oluwa

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

HI Silentscream,

Just to say you are in my thoughts and sending you hugs.

love
    Angel.xx

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silentscream View Post
    Thank you,
    I admire your faith.
    May I ask a basic question?
    If God is in charge of all. He allows or even gave my daughter, you and others Lupus. Good innocent people. Is that a God of love? He has the power to cure and chooses not to.
    Thanks
    Hi Silent Scream...hugs.

For, me my beliefs from my understanding of the Bible, your are referring to See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. Deuteronomy 32:39 ( I had to look it up...)

Diseases, plights, accident are not for punishment..and I believe no one is innocent in that sense of it. No one deserves a disease, if you will. Young, old..and etc. I believe it is a plan, a plan for spiritual growth. Mine or another's who lives intertwine with mine....

I also believe diseases are a natural part of life. Sometimes it's a consequence of past choices and events.

Faith is not questioning the plan he has set out for us....which is hard to do, in this turbulent world. Faith is believing in Him and what he has set out for us. Enduring, growing in faith. To trust Him. To rejoice and weather...we know with the knowledge of faith that we are able to see beyond this 'madness' if you will.

We have to keep walking, enduring through the trials and tribulation that have been set out before us in ever deepening faith...finding a form of enlightment.

For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid? For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever. Amen. Romans 11:36....I had to look it up too. I don't remember verses..I recall them...general idea where they are.

Though being a believer of God...I recommend reading Buddhism...have you? It will help you to find a center, a place of understanding..a peace, if you will as a human being with emotions. To help accept the suffering of the world, of your daughter. To help you find a connection..a spiritual one within yourself. I know it has helped me...by adding to my faith but you may like it alone or it may lead you to a path of religion.

It pains me your heart hurts..I can't imagine a life without hope..no God to hope to or have faith in. It is probably the same feeling with a different subject you may have..like how can I have hope and believe in something I can't see, eh? or something like that...

I hope I was able to answer your question...

Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.