Thread: Possible Flooding-Time to Go Assist

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Default Possible Flooding-Time to Go Assist

Hi everyone,

It's 10:00 EST here in Maine, and the Emergency Broadcast System has been on all day on the radio. In the northern part of the state, ice has blocked the major rivers, and heavy rain is causing flooding. My home is in the south, and on high ground-no worries. But one hours drive north, it's a different story. The Governor is asking for volunteers, and I have the proper training to help, so I am leaving shortly with a group of local law enforcement and National Guard to render assistance if needed. Hopefully, we'll get there and not be needed. Thankfully, I am not in a flare for the first time in months. This has been building slowly all afternoon, so it's not a total surprise. I'll say hello when I can. Hopefully this storm will pass with little or no damage. I'll talk to you all as soon as I can.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hooray for rob, you are everyone's hero.

let us know if people need blankets, coats, etc. i am sure all of us will gladly contribute to the needs of families who sustain damage. what a scarey time for everyone, thank goodness ther are people like you who know how to help.

please be careful and take care of yourself.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Thanks for letting us know what's going on, Rob. And for taking time to let us know where you'll be, so we don't worry. Your state is lucky to have trained, caring people like you and the others that are volunteering. I'm really glad you're feeling well right now, so you can go make a contribution.

As Phyllis said, please take care of yourself and be safe. We just can't do without our Rob around here for too long.

Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

I'll be praying for everyone's safety.

Goodnight to you.....

Fondly,

Lori

Thanks

You go, Rob...how nice that you have all of the training and skills necessary and now you are actually on a lull in your disease...
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

Awesome Rob!!!
    I am in awe of those who can still do the things they did before lupus.
    Kasey
    aka SuperNoodle

I am a Lupie Lethologica Goofy Groupie

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

Wife to my HubbyMan and Mom to a Multitude! Lovin' my sweet pup Ellie!
    Come visit our new store, www.hayleystreasures.com

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm back, and all is well. The rain let up late last night, and the ice blocking the three major rivers was successfully blasted and broken up. The water got awfully high, but there was no flooding. They were calling for anyone with heavy equipment experience and/or emt training. I ended up helping to fill sandbags most of the night. I'm exhausted, cold, and hungry. Got a bowl of chili heating in the oven, and boy it sure smells good!

It felt good to get out and exert myself, and it felt good to be physically able to help. I'll end up paying for it, but it was worth it. So, for now I'm off to eat, clean up, and sleep. Hope everyone is doing OK. I'll talk to you all later.

Rob

Thanks

Oh Rob...I'm glad to hear that all is okay in Maine this morning. We've all watched the terrible flooding in different states this winter and spring and seen what damage it can do to property and lives. I'm sure glad to know the Maine was spared.

I'm really happy for you...I can hear in your words how good it felt to go exert yourself and to be able to be among your fellow Maine emergency responders and make your contribution. I am so, so happy that you happened to be having some good days and enough energy to even consider taking part in this...it is uplifting to the spirit and the soul to be able to be a part of something bigger than us and to feel useful to our neighbors and community.

You enjoy your tasty chili (sounds really good), warm yourself from the inside, and enjoy your well earned sleep. I'm glad you're back safe!

Sweet dreams.................Lori

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi rob,

so glad you are back and that everyone is safe. when you have time, will you explain how they blasted the ice? we don't see a lot of that here in georgia.

you often comment on the lonliness of living in the beautiful country, but even in that lonliness, there is obviously an incredible sense of "love thy neighbor" (even an hour away). your poor body must be exhausted, but your heart must be beating with joy.

enjoy your chili (smells good from here), warm those tired bones, and get some peaceful sleep.....your neighborhood is safe.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank God for people like you Rob, who care about others. Be safe!

Thanks

AWWWW, GOOD for YOU Rob!! What a great thing you did! Its always a good feeling to help others but so many people dont so CUDOS to you and those who do!!!! I hope your chili was GOOD!!!!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette