Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been working on finding a doctor and i have succeded

Thanks

Exclamation Been working on finding a doctor and i have succeded

HI all i have been gone for a while... Seems as if I had put my life on hold untiil I could find me a Rhumy well I have finally found one and I go to see him on the 15th, I have to drive 3 hours but hey it will be worth it. Now I have my health records along with test results and I have been doing some research but I am still dumb founded to the results and what they mean or may repersent. I do know that there are alot of people on here whom have been researching lupus for sometime now and know way more then I do so if someone can help me to understand some of these test results please please help me.
    28 yrs old Tired of Useless non understaning doctors........ at this moment diagonse unknown

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi parisse28

sorry that you have not been around for awhile, but soooo happy that you found a rheumy...i agree, the trip will be worth it.

i am certainly not the expert on the various tests and what the results mean. i rheumy runs them, but we don't really discuss too much because there is so much variance in the reports.

i am sure others will be around to help....also, there is some good information on the lupus foundation website. also, go to

www.fbr.org.

this is a report with specific blood tests and what it measures.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

I had been looking for you wondering how you have been...Wonderful to read you...

I friendship invited you a bit ago....so you could find your way to the new site...I see you found us...

I will go over the results with you...which ones....post them or PM me with them.

Oh, also if you could, tell which lab performed the test...

Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

ok first off there is ANTI-SSA 3+
    then ANTI SSB 3+
    ANTI-SM 4+ okay those three showed up last year and here are some that were on recent ones as well ANA Postive Homogemeous pattern observed white blood cell count low potassium high and also chloride high

labs were done at AMerican Esoteric Laboratiers
    Last edited by parisse28; 04-06-2009 at 09:34 AM.
    28 yrs old Tired of Useless non understaning doctors........ at this moment diagonse unknown

Thanks

Glad that you found a rheumy. I understand it's a long drive, but it'll be well worth it if the two of you "click". My rheumy is some 2 hours--each way--and I am comfortable with that.

Best of luck. THis will be one April 15th that you won't be dreading!

Thanks

Parisse...Hey...

Anti-Sm

Anti-Sm is an immunoglobulin specific against Sm, a ribonucleoprotein found in the cell nucleus. This test is highly specific for SLE; it is rarely found in patients with other rheumatic diseases. However, only 30 percent of patients with SLE have a positive anti-Sm test.

I haven't found anything with the + single digit results from any labs sites online. Was it highlighted or checked as if flagged with a check, asterisk indicating a positive results?

Anti-Ro(SSA) and Anti-La(SSB)

These immunoglobulins, commonly found together, are specific against RNA proteins. Anti-Ro is found in 30 percent of SLE patients and 70 percent of patients with primary Sjögren’s syndrome. Anti-La is found in 15 percent of people with lupus and 60 percent of patients with primary Sjögren’s syndrome. Anti-Ro is highly associated with photosensitivity; both are associated with neonatal lupus.

A +3 from the several labs, unfortunately American Esoteric didn't give their ranges...but a +2 or higher is usually an indication of sjogrens.

The pattern of the ANA test can give information about the type of autoimmune disease present and the appropriate treatment program. A homogenous pattern appears as total nuclear fluorescence and is common in people with systemic lupus.

With high potassium, high chloride it seems your electrolytes are out of balance...

High potassium can be from something as little as eating too many bananas to infection to having kidney disease.

A raised blood potassium level is called hyperkalaemia. This may indicate the following health conditions:
    • kidney disease
    • Addison's disease
    • injury to tissue
    • infection
    • diabetes
    • excessive intravenous potassium intake (in patients on a drip)

Certain drugs can also cause hyperkalaemia in a small percent of patients. Among them are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (such as ibuprofen); beta-blockers (such as propanolol and atenolol), angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (such as captopril, enalapril, and lisinopril), and potassium-sparing diuretics (such as triamterene, amiloride, and spironolactone).

High Chloride aka hyperchloremia may be from....
    • Loss of body fluids from prolonged vomiting, diarrhea, sweating or high fever (dehydration).
    • High levels of blood sodium.
    • Kidney failure, or kidney disorders
    • Diabetes insipidus or diabetic coma
    • Drugs such as: androgens, corticosteroids, estrogens, and certain diuretics...

A low white blood cell count usually is caused by one of the following:

• Viral infections that disrupt bone marrow function
    • Congenital disorders characterized by diminished bone marrow function
    • Cancer or other diseases that damage bone marrow
    • Autoimmune disorders that destroy white blood cells or bone marrow cells
    • Overwhelming infections that use up white blood cells faster than they can be produced
    • Drugs that destroy white blood cells or damage bone marrow

Having Lupus these test fluctuate in numbers often...negative to positive, high to low...and doesn't necessarily mean, cancer or the like...

And time when it is just slightly above, or slightly below doctors consider it just a fluctuation...but it it is on a steady decline or incline I have found out, is when they intervene and run further tests..and begin a treatment regimen.

Hope this helped and not confused...

Loves,
    Oluwa

Thanks

AWWWW, im happy for you that you found a dr youre excited about! WOO HOO! Those are hard to come across! As you well know! I also wanted to say that you definately will get answers to your questions from Oluwa! Shes our "book of knowledge" around here! Go Oluwa!You Rock!!!!!!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Heck, I'd crawl across the Sahara with no water both ways just to see a decent Rheumotologist. Try to keep an open mind, and hope that he is a good one. If he is, ask him if he makes long distance house-calls.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 04-06-2009 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks

Im with you on that one Rob! Im currently looking for a new one myself along with a new GP!!!! UGH! The two VERY IMPORTANT drs. to have! Sadly enough, im learning that MOST drs SUCK! I just keep on a lookin cuz thats all i can do! Hopefully ill be finding that diamond in the rough here soon!!!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Thanks

My RheumBA...I am thinking , here in my area, he is probably the best as it gets. And that isn't too great...

My PCP ..when I first saw him, very empathetic, listening, attentive, time...but now he is a partner, and with the extra monies he should bring in, his doctoring went to the wayside. All business, move 'em in push 'em out...debit card...swipe...Next!