Thread: Fibro question

Thanks

Default Fibro question

Hey guys, I'm having trouble sleep from the pain...again, so I decided I'd ask you guys for some help. I have a few questions.

1. How long does it take for the medicines to actually start helping with the pain? I'm taking Neurontin, Plaquenil, and Prednisone.

2. Is there anything I can do for pain relief besides pain medicine? The doctor doesn't want me to take pain medicine until I'm up to the max dose of medicne (3 more weeks). He said I should see some improvement along the way, and wants a full, un-biased picture of the symptoms/symptom relief, and so pain meds are out for a while.

3. Is it normal for pain to keep me awake? I have a lot of trouble sleeping, and when I do finally get sleep it's in very small increments (30 min to about 2 hours at a time is the max I get at once).

Okay, thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide. I really appreciate all the help and advice I get from all of you guys. It's a great feeling knowing I can have someone (some times many someones) to give me un-candid advice.

~Amanda

Blog Entries
    Thanks

good morning adl011,

i have not heard any one in this group say their dr. said not to take pain meds to see how the other meds are going to work. getting a restful night is such a struggle for most of us, and i can't imagine not being able to take my meds for relief.

there are several posts about sleeping....look for a thread that's is listed as "benedryl for sleep". several people speak about the different meds that help them.

plaquenil can take 3-6 months to get the best that it is going to get. the prednisone has (i believe) a quicker response time, and i am not familiar with the other med you are on.

you might want to contact your dr., explain the problems you are having with pain and sleep, and see what he/she wants you to do. sleep is so crucial to the management of this disease. Several of us have tried sleeping med prescriptions, and can't tollerate them. some take tylenol pm and have success, and some take benedryl with success.

good luck, try to find something to help you get needed rest.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

hello adl011,

I agree with mountaindreamer - please call your doc! the some of the things I can suggest all should be cleared by him or her as well.

Consider massage - a gentle theraputic massage, not the deep muscle tissue massage.

Long hot baths - (with lots of bubbles!) can be relaxing and help releive some pain.

Daily, I take 4,000 miligrams of flax oil plus ground flax (2 tablespoons) with a teaspoon each of ground ginger and ground turmeric, all are anti inflamatories and help some with pain. THAT you need to clear with your doc.

Some herbal teas can help you relax and reduce pain as well - chamomile and mint come to mind.

Take care,
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

I agree with hatlady...warm bath, (this sometimes really helps me)can be very soothing it does help me with the pain...not hot, unless you can do that because some can't handle hot water...

If the doc won't percrribe pain pills, perhaps a muscle relaxer would be in order...
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

thanks guys for your advice. He's actually out this week for vacation, but I'll do my best to call him next week about pain medicine or muscle relaxers. I'll also try some sleeping pills to get me through the week. I just don't want my sleep to be dependent on sleeping aids. Thanks for the support!

Thanks

Hi! Please check the post Phyllis mentioned because there are great ideas there also. My rheumy put me on a 5mg tablet before bed of Flexeril(a muscle relaxer). This helped my fibro TREMENDOUSLY! I was so sore every night so i wasnt getting good sleep which in turn, as we all know, flares us if were not properly rested. I also take 3mgs of melatonin with it and the two together are GREAT! I get the best sleep i EVER had in my life, no lie! I try to go as natural as possible because i know there are the meds i truely have no choice but to take, so i dont want to keep pileing them on just to get side affect after side affect which in turn makes me feel like a mess emotionally and physically. Everything ,unfortunately, is trial and error when you are ill. My "charting notebook" is very full thats for sure! lol
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette