Thread: Oral Contraceptives Linked to Higher Lupus Risk

Thanks

Default Oral Contraceptives Linked to Higher Lupus Risk

Blog Entries
    Thanks

thanks silentscream,

that was interesting reading....one day maybe we will have answers and cures for sle....that will be a happy day.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Thanks for posting this, Silentscream.

This helps confirm for me that my suspicions about oral contraceptives triggering my Lupus may have some validation. I would have definitely been on first or second generation oral contraceptives prior to my Lupus diagnosis.

I'm willing to bet if I had a Genetic predisposition for Lupus, then it was probably triggered by using the pill. Just a guess....but I've always felt pretty strongly that this is what started it.

I appreciate your research efforts on our behalf.

Lori

p.s. I hope your daughter is doing okay.

Thanks

Wow...I never knew that...I plan on getting my older girls to read that article...thanks
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for the post, i now feel better having my doctor taking me off of birthcontrol pills when i told i had lupus my obgyn took me off and i had my tubes tied, than ran into other female problems and now have nothing but ovaries. but there are other women out there who need that information.

Thanks

THANK YOU! So important to know!!!!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Thanks

Thanks for posting this. This is an important study but I think it is important to keep in mind that the study is talking about the combined pills (estrogen plus progestin). You can also take a progestin only pill, which has no estrogen. The Mayo clinic has a really good resource on the progestin only pill and women's health in general. I tried to include in this post the links to the original article and the link to the Mayo clinic but it seems that I have to write more posts before I can include links to other websites. Oh well! If you google "progesterone only birth control" you'll find the mayo clinic page.

I've been on the progestin only pill since I was first diagnosed because of the clotting problems associated with the combo pills. I also take one adult aspirin each morning but that has to continue even when I no longer take the pill. I took combo pills for about a year before diagnosis but I started having lupus symptoms about 5 years before that. I'm sure the combos didn't help!

These kinds of articles make me nervous that women, especially young women, will stop taking their birth control and many will end up with an unwanted pregnancy. Clearly, decisions about birth control are ones we have to make on our own, I just wanted to make sure folks know about the progestin-only option. You can also use an IUD, which can be totally nonhormonal (copper) or hormonal (progestin-only). The new generation IUDs are supposed to be safe.

Hope this was helpful