Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long can you be in the sun?

Thanks

Default How long can you be in the sun?

I'm just wondering what the different levels of sensitivity are for others? I used to be able to (when I started getting ill 7years ago) be out for a couple hours a day, then it went to maybe an hour, then a half hour. NOW? I am lucky if 10 mins doesn't do me in. It's HORRIBLE! Especially being in Florida. I was out there for about 10 mins on Saturday LATE afternoon, as in after 5 pm, and my face is still a mess. I spent last night scratching all night, even with benadryl, from the itching. My appt with the Rheumy is slooooowly coming on July 1. Only waited a YEAR for this ONE appt. Very frustrated today, and of course exhausted from several nights of lack of sleep.
    So how long can you be exposed to the sun without melting?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi There;
    My tolerance has decreased significantly also. I have always been a sun lover because I loved water sports and swimming. I could do 4-5 hours in the water and sun. Now, I am pushing it if I stay out for an hour!! If I do, I suffer greatly afterwards (extreme pain and debiltating fatigue)!!

:cry:
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Agree, sun sensitivity seems to increase over time

I have one lupus friend who says that all sun, as all stress, is cumulative. I didn't believe her at first, sad to say. ops:

But I do believe now that she's right. I am now the sunscreen, long sleeved, long pants, hat wearing queen of the campus (I work at a college). I preach wide brimmed hats. (hence the moniker)

I find like you that if I don't cover my skin, I feel itchy, like my skin is crawling after only 10-15 minutes outside. Haven't resorted to benadryl yet, though I did find an oatmeal bath helpful the last time I made that mistake!

Even with all that precautionary work, I find that I get weary when I spend a lot of time out of doors. Weary to the cellular level. It gets so depressing, I'm not in FLA, that would be worse! But I love to garden. Today I'm sitting inside instead. This evening I'll do a little, I need to - not for the garden's sake, for mine!

I've found sites like sunprecautions, coolibar, sungrubbies are helpful for finding protective clothing, but oh! they're expensive! I look for other altrnatives - clothing that is tightly woven.

Thanks

Default Re: How long can you be in the sun?

Quote Originally Posted by TracyDawn
    I spent last night scratching all night, even with benadryl, from the itching.
    I've posted elsewhere that I've found immediate relief through tolfonate spray (antifungal), and topical urine application. Same as you, benadryl, and probably cortizone creams did not work. Please try at least one of these and leave feedback wether it worked or not.

Thanks

:shock: I'm sorry madthumbs, but have to comment.

did you really mean to say topical URINE?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hatlady
    :shock: I'm sorry madthumbs, but have to comment.

did you really mean to say topical URINE?
    Yes! Considering the toxicity and cost of tolfonate spray, and hearing of urine's application for fungus before, I tried it with great success! I'm not about to wear it in public, but before and in a shower I occasionally douse my itchy areas with it for miraculous relief! If you find it odd, do a google search on "urine therapy". I'd rather help people with this information than be bothered by any ridicule I might get for it. It does work! At least for me.

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm not sure if I'll try it, but I will read some of the web info on it. I suppose there is some logic - it has a urea base that you also find in many creams.

Many remedies from nature work better than the rx 'stuff' - we just have to "rediscover" them.

Thanks

Default Re: How long can you be in the sun?

Quote Originally Posted by TracyDawn
    I'm just wondering what the different levels of sensitivity are for others? I used to be able to (when I started getting ill 7years ago) be out for a couple hours a day, then it went to maybe an hour, then a half hour. NOW? I am lucky if 10 mins doesn't do me in. It's HORRIBLE! Especially being in Florida. I was out there for about 10 mins on Saturday LATE afternoon, as in after 5 pm, and my face is still a mess. I spent last night scratching all night, even with benadryl, from the itching. My appt with the Rheumy is slooooowly coming on July 1. Only waited a YEAR for this ONE appt. Very frustrated today, and of course exhausted from several nights of lack of sleep. :(
    So how long can you be exposed to the sun without melting?
    My sensitivity is not good. If I go outside in the heat, I can only be out there for about 5 minutes and then it causes more fatigue. About 10 minutes and my face looks like a bad sunburn.

CindyLou

Thanks

I agree CindyLou, my sunsensitivity decreased a LOT after I was diagnosed. Now I just avoid and feel a lot better for it.

While I sometimes resent all the bare sleeves and shorts I see, I'm SO much more comfortable when I stay out of the sun it is WORTH it!

Thanks

This is the one thing that I'm really having trouble adjusting to. I'm very bad about staying out in the sun too long and not using sunscreen enough (I have naturally dark skin) and all the stuff like that. But this summer I noticed that my tolerance was waaaaaay down. I can only stay out for about half an hour before the nausea and horrible fatigue and skin rashes start coming on.