Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help!!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Cindy;
    Yes, exposure to the sun can cause us to flare up. Lupus is a disease that is fraught with relapse/remission. That means, there are periods of time when our symptoms are manageable and/or disappear. Then, there are times when our symptoms are raging and new ones even appear. Our main focus is to avoid those things that can cause our symptoms to get worse or to cause new ones to appear. One of those things is sun exposure and we must avoid it at all costs. That does not mean that we must become moles, we just have to take precautions before exposing ourselves to the sun (using sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 35, wearing lightweight protective clothing that covers our bodies, wearing sunglasses with UV protection, wearing hats, and limiting the amount of time that we are in the sun). Be aware that fluorescent lights can cause the same adverse effects as the sun, so often our workplace is at the root of some of our flare-ups. How we react to sun exposure is just as individual as is the disease within each of us. But, yes, sun exposure can cause skin rashes or can cause rashes to worsen.
    Many Lupus patients suffer from a condition called vasculitis, in fact all of the rheumatic diseases involve some level of underlying vasculitis. That includes lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, and dermatomyositis.
    Vasculitis is blood vessel inflammation that causes fever, pain, local tenderness, and other evidence of blocked blood vessels. When a blood vessel becomes inflamed and narrowed, blood supply to that area can become partially or completely blocked. Complete blockage is called occlusion; it causes the vessel wall to swell and makes things stick to the wall -- so a clot forms. When vasculitis interferes with circulation in any part of the body, it causes local tenderness and pain. If the blood vessels are close to the skin, characteristic rashes occur. Depending on where the blockage occurs, almost any organ in the body can be affected. (Note: Vasculopathy can also block blood vessels, but it does not cause the fever, pain, and local tenderness associated with vasculitis.)
    Several things can happen to an inflamed blood vessel:
    * If it is a small vessel, it may break and produce tiny areas of bleeding in the tissue. These areas will appear as small red or purple dots on the skin.
    * If a larger vessel is inflamed, it may swell and produce a nodule which may be felt if the blood vessel is close to the skin surface.
    * The inside of the vessel tube may become narrowed so that blood flow is reduced.
    * The inside of the vessel tube may become totally closed, usually by a blood clot which forms at the site of inflammation.
    * If blood flow is reduced or stopped, the tissues which receive blood from that vessel begin to die. For example, a person with vasculitis of a medium-sized artery in the hand may develop a cold finger which hurts whenever it is used. Rarely, this can progress to gangrene.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you
    Welcome to our family!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Mountaindreamer,

I have to agree with you, there is tremendous support here, I am so glad I found this site. In response to your last post, yes, I work under florescent lighting all day long. I didn't realize that even lighting can cause some discomfort for people with Lupus. Thank you for explaining some important details with me, it is greatly appreciated. I guess it is kinda hard for me living in the north and having all this snow surrounding me, but I will be more mindful now. I have learned so much in the past few days by communicating with you great supportive people. Thanks again,

Be well,
    Cindy

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Mountaindreamer,

I have a question and I was told to put it in the suggestion box...but I can't seem to find it..can ya tell I'm new. Can you help me..

Cindy

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Smile

Hello Cindy I am fairly new to this site but have gotten a lot of answers to things and have found that there are people like me out there. My lupus and myositis does have good days and bad days and that is where a good doctor really helps. Hope you find all the answeres you need. Love Bonita

Thanks

So sorry you have to have this disease Cindy I want to WELCOME YOU and i want to tell you that you found a WONDERFUL place to be surrounded by people who care. As you have already discovered Please feel free to ask any of us anything that is on your mind because we're here to help you
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi new to lupus,

oh honey, i am so the wrong person to ask about anything that has to do with the computer or the directions for the forum. i am not familiar with a suggestion box here.

if you want to, send me a pm and i will try to direct you.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Nuh Uh Phyllis! YOU helped me with my fun icons! GO PHYLLIS!!!!!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Jeannette, i knew i could count on you to boost my ego. all i did was pass on information that was given to me, i think it was oluwa who got me there, so maybe she is our computer expert.
    Phyllis

share a smile today