Thread: Question about chest pain

Thanks

Default Question about chest pain

Can chest pain with movement be part of SLE? My 12 year old son has been having pain on and off in his chest when he moves. He said it feels like nerve pain.He had similar pain when he was diagnosed 2 years ago and he was evaluated with chest xray, EKG, and echocardiogram and all came back normal at that time. He has been in remission for 1 year and is taking Cellcept. I am just curious if this is common.
    Last edited by KCsMOM; 04-02-2009 at 07:16 AM.

Thanks

Hi KCsMOM-

I would contact your son's doctor to get it looked at. I know that my rheumy always asks if I have any chest pain, but that would be more likely be caused by taking a deep breath than movement related. Better to be safe, and it will help to put your mind at ease.

be well-
    Tracy

Thanks

Alot of the times I have chest pain with movement, it was pleurisy, and u really cant see that because its immflamation of lung lining. The dr. may prescribe an anti immflamatory like ibuprophen or if hes on prednisone he may have to increase it few days. I would consult his Dr. about it possibly being that and ask him. blessings Kathy
    Sorry i'm not home pain! and don't leave message I am not calling u back!

Lupus,Fibromyalgia,Hypertension, Sjogrens,Raynauds,

Macular degeneration,Depression,Arthritis

Thanks

I agree with Kat. I have had that many times also. It would feel better also when you would lean forward. My doc increased my steroids and also gave me some antibiotics for the infection which was causing the inflamation.

Good luck and sorry for the two of you going thru this!
    Money cannot buy you happiness but it can buy you a big enough boat to allow you to pull up along side it!!! - David Lee Roth

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've had pleurisy several times (inflammation of the sac surrounding the lungs) and it can be very painful and very scary!! Make sure that you check with his doctor to find out if it is his lungs or his heart. Often, with Lupus, we develop inflammation around the lining of the heart (Pericarditis) which can also be painful. Both Pleaurisy and Pericarditis respond to prednisone, however, it is best to have his doctor run tests in order to ascertain exactly what is going on!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hey Saysusie, what are the feelings you get with this problem because that has been a concern of mine for awhile now that hasnt been checked (along with so many other concerns of mine as well!).
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I experience a very sharp pain, especially when I try to breathe. It is almost as if someone had a tightening grip around my chest with a dull knife pushing into my sternum area. It lasts for up to an hour or more and/or it comes in waves. When it first happened, I thought I was having a heart attack, except I had no other symptoms.
    It happens less frequently now, but it still scares me when it does

Is this what you experience?

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

My son has that same kind of pain..he was dx'd with costrondritis..sorry spelling is probably awful...but what is connective tissue problems and not cardio-pulminary..it has to be evaluated, though, because cardio-pumlmannary can be dangerous.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

Yes, it is the same thing i feel sometimes Saysusie! UGH I know what you mean about the whole heart attack feeling. I almost went to the hospital a few times over it but it would pass so i wouldnt think too much about it until next time. The last time it happenend to me was last week ans it was soooo uncomfortable, it really scared me. I have SO many things going on with my body i wish i was clear from head to toe so i could gat a good look at the way things are inside of me. Im tired of xrays being "ok" because there are no tumors. I mean of course thats great no doubt BUT that doesnt mean NOTHING is wrong so they chalk it up to, its in my head or its stress. UGH Drs. are lazy is what im finding out. I have a couple of good ones but its a GP that im having trouble with and they matter the most since i need them for more referals for so many other issues i have.GRRRRRRRR, its annoying but im on the road to finding a new one and thats all i can do right now so im grabing that bull by the horns and im doing what is in my power to do!YEAH!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette