Thread: Had white spots on MRI

Thanks

Default Had white spots on MRI

Is this a symptom of Lupus? I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I had an abnormal MRI back in late January which showed a singal white foci/spot. I had another MRI done last Friday because of recent tingling/numbness in my fingers and heels - my neuro wanted me to get one done just to make sure that the tingling was just a side effect of the topamax I'm on for my headaches/migraines. Now, in January, he said the white spot probably was due to my migraines. I picked up my films and CD on Friday after the MRI-- I saw another white spot next to the one that was there in January, and a lot of little white pricks/specks nearby in the same area. I haven't had hardly any migraines since starting the topamax back in January after my first abnormal MRI. My question is - could the white spots be a sign of Lupus? I'm still waiting on my "specialized" ANA and anti-DNA tests from the lab... (results)..

Thanks for all the help in advance! The neuro called yesterday and wants to see me Thursday to discuss my results..... I'm kind of freaking out over here.. so please respond!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Hi, please dont freak out. I am not sure what it means. But your Doctor will. Alls i can do is send out some hugs for you and tell you im thinking of you. Whatever it is, we will all support you. Wish i had an answer for you, but i dont know. Just keep coming here and posting.Maybe someone will come here and help.But if not, take it one day at a time. Dont worry about it until you see your doctor.I know its easier said than done....just trying to comfort you.

love
    Angel.xxxxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Ok... well the good news or bright side is that it is only a couple of days before you see the doc and get all this talked about...I know ms has white spots but you might not be reading it right...do you have the written radiologists report? I would assume not if the doctor hasn't chatted with you.
    I had spots on mine and we are in a wait and see mode...
    Try not to get too upset and worry...it won't change anything but it can make your symptoms worse.

Praying for you,
    Karen
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Jleigh,

I know anything involving words like brain, and spots, is as scary as it gets, but there are any number of things that can cause this, the majority of which are not terribly serious, or permanent. I've spent many a long sleepless night scared to death, waiting for my next neuro appointment. I know how you are feeling right now. Whatever this is, the most likely outcome is that it's either not something to be overly concerned about, or it's something that can be easily dealt with. I had white spots or "lesions" in the white matter of my brain from some CNS problems I was having, and low dose steroids made them all but disappear. I was terrified, and in the end, it was not the big scary thing I had made it out to be. Your appointment is tomorrow, so just get through one more day and the waiting is over. I know it's easier said than done. Go easy on yourself, and try to relax any way you can.

Rob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Hi Jleigh,

I know anything involving words like brain, and spots, is as scary as it gets, but there are any number of things that can cause this, the majority of which are not terribly serious, or permanent. I've spent many a long sleepless night scared to death, waiting for my next neuro appointment. I know how you are feeling right now. Whatever this is, the most likely outcome is that it's either not something to be overly concerned about, or it's something that can be easily dealt with. I had white spots or "lesions" in the white matter of my brain from some CNS problems I was having, and low dose steroids made them all but disappear. I was terrified, and in the end, it was not the big scary thing I had made it out to be. Your appointment is tomorrow, so just get through one more day and the waiting is over. I know it's easier said than done. Go easy on yourself, and try to relax any way you can.

Rob
    Thanks for the reply. I had my neuro appt on Thurs-- they found seven lesions in the deep subcortical parts of the brain. Since there was only 1 lesion 1.5 months ago, and since the lesions are in 2 cerebral hemispheres, and being that one is 6.2mm, one is 4.3mm, and the other five are smaller (and I'm only 28 y/o), they are suspicious of MS. So, they are doing an LP on me next Thursday. According to the neuro, three lesions of about 5mm raises the confidence level of a diagnosis of MS, so I'm just about there, but he's not sure if that's what it is. He said it might be MS, it might be related to the high ANA, or I might be one of the lucky ones within the 5-10% of the population who have multiple small deep hyperintense subcortical lesions who are asymptomatic of MS. He also raised the possibility of vasculitis, but when my first ANA test came back high, he did an angiogram of my brain, and it came back fine. At this point, I'm fine with whatever the diagnosis comes back as- I'm almost more scared about the LP itself... and I just want to know what's going on. Has anyone had an LP? Does it hurt? If it's lupus and not MS, would they be able to diagnose lupus with an LP?

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Jleigh.

I have a difficult time some days deciding what I should tell people here. The fact is, I have MS. I was diagnosed just about a year ago. I didn't want to scare the heck out of you even more by saying it sounds like you could have MS. But, you sound as though you are more than ready for a diagnosis no matter what it is at this point.

I had an L.P. done as part of the MS diagnosis, and although the procedure itself was not particularly painful, the after effects were uncomfortable. Had the worst headache I've ever had, but it didn't last long. The next day I was feeling better. I was scared to death of getting the LP done, but in the end, it really wasn't that big of a deal. I had two IV methylprednisolinone treatments, and the second round took well, and really has helped with the worst of my symptoms.

I'm one of the few people who have both SLE and MS. They call it an overlapping illness. Original, huh. Anyway, if you do have MS, it can be dealt with, and many of the treatments work quite well. As far as the L.P., I've never heard of that test being done for Lupus. I know this is all scary stuff, but trust me, I deal with both diseases, and although I have bad days, I also have good ones. I have lots of good ones, and if I can cope with all this, so can you. Many, many people live with either of these diseases and thrive despite them, andI thrive despite both of them. You don't have to be scared, and you are not alone.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 04-04-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Hi Jleigh.

I have a difficult time some days deciding what I should tell people here. The fact is, I have MS. I was diagnosed just about a year ago. I didn't want to scare the heck out of you even more by saying it sounds like you could have MS. But, you sound as though you are more than ready for a diagnosis no matter what it is at this point.

I had an L.P. done as part of the MS diagnosis, and although the procedure itself was not particularly painful, the after effects were uncomfortable. Had the worst headache I've ever had, but it didn't last long. The next day I was feeling better. I was scared to death of getting the LP done, but in the end, it really wasn't that big of a deal. I had two IV methylprednisolinone treatments, and the second round took well, and really has helped with the worst of my symptoms.

I'm one of the few people who have both SLE and MS. They call it an overlapping illness. Original, huh. Anyway, if you do have MS, it can be dealt with, and many of the treatments work quite well. As far as the L.P., I've never heard of that test being done for Lupus. I know this is all scary stuff, but trust me, I deal with both diseases, and although I have bad days, I also have good ones. I have lots of good ones, and if I can cope with all this, so can you. Many, many people live with either of these diseases and thrive despite them, andI thrive despite both of them. You don't have to be scared, and you are not alone.

Rob
    Wow! I can't thank you enough for sharing that with me, because the more I know about all of this, the more it helps me. How unlucky of you to be slammed with BOTH SLE and MS... sheesh. Ya know, my first lesion back in January (and the only one they saw at the time), the neuro said was probably just due to my migraines. Since then though, like I mentioned in my one post, I have maybe only had two or three headaches - to be honest, I'm not even sure they are migraines-- they feel just like really bad tension headaches- I don't get the aura or anything else (no nausea, noise bothering, etc), so I don't know if they are true migraines. Anyway, here are some blurbs from the radiologist's report from my MRI on 3/27: "There has been an increase in apparent white matter lesion since last study... an increase in white matter disease at this age most commonly relates to multiple sclerosis, but it is not diagnostic and it is not classic in its distribution as the lesions are primarily subcortical... one significantly large white matter lesion persis in thet right frontal lobe and measures 6.3mm... there is another bilobed lesion in the vicinity that measures 4.3mm.... other lesions are smaller. Impressions: multiple small primarily subcortical deep white matter lesions at this age raise the possibility of multiple sclerosis. Approximately 5-10% of the asymptomatic population may have very small white matter lesions at this age and have no diagnosis related to the findings."

Sorry this is so long. Again, I'm not really that scared of the disease, if that's what it is-- bring it on, MS, bring it on- I'm ready to fight and kick your butt! I'd just like to prepare and get on my battle gear, is all ... I have a friend who had an LP done and he had to have a blood patch-- but I think that's just because he didn't drink enough water and caffeine.. I wish they could just knock me out for it.. or something!