Thread: shrinking lung sydrome ?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default shrinking lung sydrome ?

i am being evaluated for having shrinking lung syndrome ...and i was wondering if anyone on here has it, or has been evaluated for it???
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

good morning ashley,

i am not familiar with shrinking lung syndrome, and can't recall any threads posted on this forum. i hope someone on the forum can give you some information about this.

i am so sorry that you are going through so much right now.,

how is cheerleading going? i am glad that you have this outlet in your life. have you had your spring break? if so what did you do?
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Hi ashleybaby,

No but I have looked up some information on it and will post it here.

Shrinking lung syndrome is rare but must be considered in patient with autoimmune disease and dyspnea. The diagnosis can be difficult because of clinical, pathological and functional features which are controversial. The optimum treatment is unknown.

It reports with systemic autoimmune disease and physiopathological mechanism is controversial. EXEGESIS: We report three shrinking lung syndrome observations in which two cases were diagnosed at the time to onset of autoimmune disease.

The three patients were treated with corticosteroid, two of them necessitated theophylline.

You can find case studies of Shrinking lung sydrome by going to google. There's alot of medical jargen to go through.

Hope this was helpful.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Hi i found this :-

Presentation and prognosis of the shrinking lung syndrome in systemic lupus erythematosus.

Karim MY, Miranda LC, Tench CM, Gordon PA, D'cruz DP, Khamashta MA, Hughes GR.
    Lupus Research Unit, The Rayne Institute, Immunology Department, St. Thomas' Hospital, London, UK. yousuf.karim@gstt.sthames.nhs.uk
    BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES: Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) may affect all the components of the respiratory system, including upper airways, lung parenchyma, pulmonary vasculature, pleura, and respiratory muscles. The shrinking lung syndrome (SLS) is a rare complication of SLE. This study describes the presenting features, investigation findings, treatment measures, and outcome of 7 patients with SLE and SLS. METHODS: Five patients with SLE/SLE were chosen retrospectively by examination of patient records, and 2 patients were chosen prospectively. All patients attended St. Thomas' Hospital or the Royal London Hospital between 1984 and 2001, with a total population of 2650 patients with SLE. RESULTS: Clinical features included dyspnea and pleuritic chest pain. Chest x-ray films showed small but clear lung fields, or basal atelectasis, with diaphragmatic elevation. No evidence of major parenchymal lung or pleural disease was found on the computerized tomography scan. Lung volumes were reduced on pulmonary function testing (PFT) in a restrictive pattern. Treatment of SLS included theophylline, increase in corticosteroid dosage, and intensification of immunosuppressive medication to include methotrexate or cyclophosphamide. During follow-up, 5 of 7 patients showed objective evidence on PFT of stabilization or improvement. CONCLUSIONS: The long-term prognosis of our SLS patients was reasonable, highlighting the importance of establishing a correct diagnosis and in particular differentiating it from fibrosing lung disease. Immunosuppressive therapy was helpful in stabilizing SLS and improving respiratory symptoms and PFT in some cases. RELEVANCE: SLS represents a rare complication of SLE, and it is important to be aware of its presenting features and prognosis. Copyright 2002, Elsevier Science (USA). All rights reserved.
    PMID: 11965593 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    Angel.x
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi mountaindreamer :]

hm everything i've read says that its a rare condition, but i seem to defy the odds of alot of things!! im rare-central over here! haha

cheerleading has been really good!! even though im already on the squad, we have to re-try out ...soo we can prove that we can still do everything. so hopefully, i'll do good. that is tomorrow actually.
    im pretty mad though because i had to miss practice yesterday because i had to get a test done :-\
    but oh well, health comes first...

as for spring break, it starts monday! i have a half day of school this friday coming up, and then i have a whole week off! im actually going up to Niagara Falls, Canada for a few days! so thats going to be exciting! and i also start work Easter Sunday, so im pretty excited about that too!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

sits in the corner && angel,

you both really helped me!!
    thanksss so much!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

morning ashley,

sending you lots of energy angels so that you can jump the highest, cheer the loudest, and be the best on the squad.

what wonderful plans for spring break....have a blast.
    Phyllis

share a smile today