Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swimming in Fog

Thanks

Default Swimming in Fog

At the risk of sounding like a total blonde (I come by it honestly), I need to ask a question.

I haven't had what I'd call photosensitivity ie rashes or ulcers after being in the sun. I've noticed that after having a couple of days off of work when I return on Monday my brain fog has increased and my head feels like it's swimming.

Could this be due to the fluorescent light from my office? I have no natural sunlight nearby, so I don't feel like that makes a difference.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Hi,

I would say yes. If im in the presence of florescent lights i become very off balance, drunk like, dizzy, feel sick and get hot. Then i get a good old panic attack for good measure. Then i have problems with my vision and carnt focus on peoples faces. I must look a right freak when i shop, holding onto things, like ive got vertigo or just look plain old drunk.I now wear tinted glasses ...oh with diamontes of course, trendy sparkly ones, and they seem to help me a touch.

love
    Angel.xxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Dearest Angel, I knew I could count on you to bring a smile to my face with your response . Yes, I can picture you with your diamond studded glasses, groping your way through a store (excuse me sir, I didn't mean to acost you, but since I did, let me introduce myself)

I couldn't put my finger on what might be causing the Monday morning fog until today. Wish no one had to deal with any of this, but so glad I'm not the only one who is a space cadet. Perhaps this (fluorescent lighting) is why I don't enjoy shopping as much as I used to. Every time I do more than just weekly grocery shopping, I'm absolutely drained.

Oh, the wonders of lupus!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Where i live there are no hunky shoppers so its usually old ladies How sad is that!! I used to love shopping too.Now im lucky to leave the house once a week.Hate it! 39 year old has been...thats what it feels like. My friend from work used to meet up and we'd shop like it was heaven. Now she doesnt bother asking cause i spent all the time bent over like the room was uphill.Or id be stood outside holding a wall.
    I must say though, the tint does work, so try it, wear sunglasses in a shop, it doesnt stop it all, but does help. Hope you've been keeping well other than this.
    Sending you gentle hugs. Oh ...you should see me sparkle in the sun...amazing!.
    Love
    Angel.xxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi ladies,

angel, you must put a picture of the sparkley glasses on the forum. i love the vision of this.

bonus mom, sorry, but i agree with angel...it sounds like the office lighting....can you use a desk lamp instead of overhead?

i did not think about shopping, but that is why i now find walmart a nightmare....by the time i make it around the store, i am probably going into a flare, i do know that i am always wore out by the time i get out of the store. I will have to pay closer attention. thanks bonus and angel.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

I am extremely sensitive to flourescent lighting....it causes me to flare and is very irritating to my eyes, so I thought I'd add something to this thread that I've been thinking about lately....

...This push for all of us to save energy by replacing all of our lightbulbs in the home with the new flourescent twirly ones. The thought of that has bothered me since they first arrived on the scene. I've refused to even buy one of them, but I'll bet plenty of people with Lupus have done so.

I know they're more efficient, save energy, keep the planet green, etc., but I have to wonder how many people with Lupus may have just increased their chances of aggravating their Lupus right in their own homes without realizing it.

Just a thought....I could be wrong....but personally, I'm not taking any chances.

Lori

Thanks

We may not have a choice because they are trying to get the high energy bulbs phased out within the next few years.

Thanks

I've been slowly stocking up on the regular light bulbs, because I too am sensitive to flourescent lighting, and I know that I'll be in trouble once they're phased out. So every time I go shopping, I pick up a box or two and store them in the basement.

I just realized yesterday that I am much more sensitive to the flourescent lighting than I thought. I had a great weekend, felt better than I have in ages, then once I was at work for a couple hours yesterday, I felt so, so tired and the brain fog hit me. It had to be the lights. I'm on vacation next week, and I've decided to invest in some floor lamps instead of using the overhead lights. Maybe the overhead lighting at work is why I never seem to get out of a flare for long?!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

stocking up on light bulbs is a great idea.

i originally bought the new swirley things, but have given them away. i am careful to use only original bulbs.

i wonder if there is any way to keep the original bulbs from being phased out....seems like we should be able to get some protection within the disabilities act or somewhere. hhhmmm wonder if we could do something as a group.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Great idea!! Where do we start? Contacting our legislators?