Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When Life Gives You Lemons...

Thanks

Smile When Life Gives You Lemons...

Make Citrus Cream Sauce!!

I thought, just for fun, I'd share a new recipe I've been enjoying lately.

It's a Pasta Cream Sauce, but I've altered it to be a thicker sauce and use it over Parmesean Crusted Salmon stuffed with bay shrimp. It's very rich and creamy and I use it for a special occasion dinner. It's delicious served over fish.

1 Cup Heavy Cream
    2 Tablespoons Cognac (or dry Sherry)
    The grated zest of 1 Lemon
    The grated zest of 1 large navel Orange
    1/2 teaspoon Coarse Salt
    2 Tablespoons chopped fresh Mint (about 3 sprigs)
    12 fresh Basil Leaves, shredded or torn
    The yolk of 1 large Egg

In a skillet over medium-low heat, warm cream. (Be careful not to heat too quickly.) Stir in Cognac or Sherry, zests of Lemon and Orange, and Salt. Simmer, 7 to 10 minutes. Add Mint and Basil. Stir gently. Pour a small amount of cream mixture into a small bowl and let it cool for a few minutes. Quickly whisk in the egg yolk and then return the whole mixture to the cream in the skillet, stirring gently. Heat for another minute or two to allow the sauce to thicken.

*If you want a thinner sauce to serve with your favorite pasta, just omit the part with the egg yolk.

*I personally prefer the Cognac over Sherry. It gives it a richer, smoother flavor. But a whole bottle of Cognac at the Liquor Store is a pretty hefty price, I discovered, so I buy the small sample bottles they have at the counter for only $3.

*If you serve this with a pasta, it's delicious sprinkled with 1/2 cup of grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese.

The combined flavors of the citrus, mint, and basil are absolutely wonderful!

One of the things I've discovered lately that lowers my stress level is to experiment with cooking. On a Saturday night, when I don't need to be rushed, I'll choose a new recipe, usually with some fresh ingredients, and take my time and enjoy the preparation and the whole experience. Sometimes, I'll even pour a glass of wine and savor the moment. The end result is always worth it.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does....

Lori

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Oh Lori,

This sounds delicious.You always make me hungry.When i think of you i think of soup and food and my mouth waters.MMmmmmmmm.

Thanks for sharing this.I may one day try it.

love
    Amanda.xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

I know what I'm making for dinner tonight! This sounds absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing, Lori!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

good grief lori,,,,what time is dinner?

saturday casual cooking, experimenting with new recipe,.....mmmmm sounds like a wonderful day...and a glass of wine ...
    Last edited by mountaindreamer; 03-30-2009 at 03:37 PM.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

mmm that does sound good!! Now was that two bottles of Cognac? Was that for the cook while cooking? Just kidding, that does sound great!
    Money cannot buy you happiness but it can buy you a big enough boat to allow you to pull up along side it!!! - David Lee Roth

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

No...that's 2 Tablespoons for the recipe...2 gulps for the cook!!

I am quite certain that if the cook drank his/her own bottle, the recipe would not come out quite the same.

I could try it though, and let you know.....

<<<<<<< I have a feeling this is what I'd look like....

Lori

Thanks

Hey,

You never know it might taste better. I, too, like you have been experimenting with recipes but seems like i have been having better luck with pastries than dishes. Is there any substitute for the heavy cream because i think that would be the death of my stomach.

Recipe swapping sounds like a good forum, hmmm?

Thanks

Wow, this sounds great! And what perfect timing too, as I have some heavy cream left over from the Alfredo sauce I made over the weekend, and didn't know what to do with it. Best of all, I have almost all of the ingredients in the house right now - I know what I'm making tomorrow! Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

you really are strange!!

i walked in this thread with summin on my mind and thought wtf?? lol

peace out pasta sauce
    xxx
    **The next or $ raised WILL be the cure for LUPUS**

☺☻If YoU gOt OcD aNd YoU kNoW iT....wAsH yA hAnDs☺☻

..♪♫**.❤.**☆.。.*✿♪♫**.❤.**☆.。 .*✿