Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: candles and flares

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sylvania,Ohio
    Posts
    1,409
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 70 Times in 58 Posts

    Default candles and flares

    I had the worst flare for most of the day today and then i wondered, did my candle do it? I blew it out and my flare has subsided, some achiness left,headache, tired but not to the degree it was earlier. I've heard of smells and chemicals possibly doing this but stupid me never put it together about my candles. Does anyone else have this issue? Now that i look back at the days i lit candles, i flared pretty much EVERY time. I also clean with bleach and now im thinking, wow am i hurting myself that much more?
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,108
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I am extremely sensitive to smells and scents, especially lotions and candles. I don't know that they've ever caused me to flare, but I will feel really crappy if a particular scent doesn't agree with me. It makes me feel nauseated and gives me a headache. It I don't get away from the smell, I can end up with a migraine.

    I cannot wear perfume and I have to be super careful with household cleaners, especially bleach. Not only does the smell of cleaners overwhelm me, but if I get any on my hands I get a terrible rash. I have to wear rubber gloves practically all the way up my arms when I clean. LOL I've now discovered some of the 'earth friendly' cleaners that clean well and don't have the nasty chemicals. Good for the earth..good for Lori.

    Oh, and same goes for paint and paint thinners. It used to be that we couldn't even paint any rooms in our house, but now some of the household paints are more earth friendly with less chemicals. We were able to paint our Master bath in January with no ill effects for me.

    You should try going without lighting any candles for a few days and see what happens...or doesn't happen in this case.

    Sounds like you're a candle person...I have a friend like that...she has candles all over her house and always has to have her candles lit.

    Sorry you're having a 'flare' day...

    Hope you're feeling better soon!

    Lori

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,189
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    So perhaps it is the scent of the candles...oh that is rotten...I love the smell and would hate having to give it up.
    Like Rasta says...smells can make you ill....

    It is nice that you are able to see some of the triggers...that is a bright side.

    What kind of symptoms do you have when you have the candles going?
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Rural SE Minnesota
    Posts
    32
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I also am sensitive to smells. I do burn candles but if it is a
    irritating smell then it will bother me, give me a cough and a headache.
    Men's cologne is real bad for me.
    MAybe It's just the scent of your candle that bothers you?

    But anyhow if the candle bothers you then avoid it, it's not worth
    feeling rotten.
    Pam

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    955
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    colognes, bleach, cleaners, paint - oh yeah....but candles haven't bothered me too much. I don't use them often, though. Hmm...maybe that's WHY I don't use them often?

    I can have a headache for hours after a person who "bathed" in perfume leaves my office, and am thankful that it happens rarely.
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I've never given this a thought, but now that you mention it, I just cleaned my bathroom with pinesol and now I feel like crap.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,115
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 80 Times in 69 Posts

    Default

    oooooh man jeannette,

    you got me thinking about natural stuff, now you got me thinking about candles....you are giving my disabled brain a real work out.

    i do know that i am sensitive to light and sound when in a flare, but i have not noticed these things causing me to feel bad....but, i will certainly keep a closer watch on things.
    Phyllis

    share a smile today

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sylvania,Ohio
    Posts
    1,409
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 70 Times in 58 Posts

    Smile

    LOL, You're too funny Phyllis! I understand the disabled brain being too bogged down with information! In fact it happened to me today! I couldnt even finish going through my paper ads for sales (for my grocery list) because it required too much thinking! OUCH. I honestly had a flare and had to lay down for a nap. I slept for an hour!

    When i light my candles i get that extrememly tired feeling to where my eyes are HEAVY and i can barely hold them open, i get a headache,my joints and muscles ACHE,they swell up,I have the BRAIN FOG BAD,my throat closes up,raspy sore throat,have TROUBLE breathing and my equilibrium is bad(bump into walls,tip over.....). Its bad. I LOVE my candles and its gonna be hard for me to let them go but like my husband said "its not worth your health Jeannette". I guess i could get those "light" candles that you turn on with a switch, Gosh, it just wont be the same. If anyone else has any ideas please let me know. Hey, maybe i could try an unscented one, i love how the others make your house smell though. That reminds me, i stopped using those "plug ins" cuz i noticed they made me feel icky too. I just never thought of my candles doing it till the other night. Maybe soy candles wont do it cuz they're more natural. I'll have to give it a try i think. Ill let everyone know if it bothers me or not. Thanks for everyones input! Hey, i forgot to tell you guys that i also get the sensitivity to light and sound when i flare from my candles, i have to shut my curtains and have it quiet.
    Last edited by lucky7; 03-29-2009 at 07:53 PM.
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I was thinking soy candles might be a better choice as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
    Maybe soy candles wont do it cuz they're more natural. I'll have to give it a try i think. Ill let everyone know if it bothers me or not. Thanks for everyones input! Hey, i forgot to tell you guys that i also get the sensitivity to light and sound when i flare from my candles, i have to shut my curtains and have it quiet.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sylvania,Ohio
    Posts
    1,409
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 70 Times in 58 Posts

    Smile

    Yes, soy i will have to try! Thanks!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •