Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "The Chronic Illness Experience" BOOK CHAT

Thanks

Hey....I ordered the book last week, said delivery will be between the 10 - 27th of April...humm, are they delivering it by mule, literally pony express.. From a seller at Amazon...

Loves,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Hey Oluwa,

Maybe they still have to chop the tree town to make the paper to then be able to print the book and then bind it...all that done before they get on their Bike to hand deliver it to you....now that 's service, huh?
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Blog Entries
    Thanks

ok guys, i will wait for everyone to get their copy of the book....however, i think the questions that we discuss can include everyone on the forum....they are real life questions that are addressed in the book, and it would be nice to include those not reading the book. this is a way to share what we learn with other forum members.

think about it, and all are invited to participate.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

I agree, Phyllis. These are questions that everybody on the forum can ponder and respond to, the more input the better.

I'd hate to think that someone might be left out because they can't get a copy of the book.

I've read a little of the first chapter and I'm REALLY enjoying it. It gives you plenty to think about. I'm certain there will some great conversation generated by the topic.

Lori

Thanks

Oh, no, don't wait for me.... go ahead with the questions..I will chime in when mine arrives and in the interim I will ponder and maybe post with my wonder-ment...revelations...

Loves,
    Oluwa

Thanks

Hey....Mine book arrived...started to read the first few pages and the first page I felt the words..

Introduction...

Had we been born a few decades earlier, many of us who are chronically ill would not be alive at thirty, or forty or fifty.....No longer illnesses to die of, but still not thoroughly curable, they have become illnesses to live with....

Those sentences....my eyes filled with tears...I was grateful.

I can't wait to dig into it more. I'll have to get a pearl chain to dangle my reading glasses from....

Love,
    O.

Thanks

Oluwa....

I teared up too when I read that passage...it really struck a chord with me.

There is always something to be grateful for....I used to think it sucked to be born in the '60's, but now I'm happy it wasn't the '30's or '40's.

I know how much we hate Prednisone, but if I'd been born before that was discovered, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be sitting here right now typing these words.

I am truly grateful that having this illness doesn't have to mean your life will be cut short....and very, very grateful for the achievements that have been made in the field of medicine that benefit all of us all today.

God bless all the people that choose to go into medical research and work tirelessly to benefit those that are sick. I am grateful for each of them, as well.

Lori

p.s. Glad your book arrived!

Thanks

My book just arrived as well! I've only read the first few pages so far, but I had the same reaction about if we'd lived in an earlier generation, we may not be alive right now. Wow. That made me stop and just think for a minute about the gratitude I feel. It's easy to complain about how awful lupus makes me feel, and how it's limited my life. But when I stop and think about just how different my life could have been, well, somehow it put it all in perspective for me. At least I'm HERE today! And when I was first diagnosed, the doctor wasn't so sure I'd make it then, it had affected my lungs so badly. Prednisone saved me too, along with the nebulizer treatments I needed 4 times a day.

I have lots more thoughts about the other questions in this discussion, but I'll come back to this tomorrow, after I've (hopefully!) had a good night's sleep.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hello fellow book club pals,

just wait,.,. this book is full of "aha" moments. i have gained so much from the reading. However, this book creates so many moments where i stop and ponder my situation that it is very slow reading....but i am gaing so much about the emotional aspects of living with a chronic disease.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Ugh..I haven't made it pass the Intro. Not that it isn't interesting, it is...just my mind hasn't been in the mood to read. I've been more in the mechanical mood, physical rather than the mental and emotional state....Not deep.

But when I pick it up again, I will share...

How's abouts you's guys...as we say in The UP..Yous guys.

Hope it is a lovely day in your neck of the woods...

L.
    O.