Thread: face flushing

Thanks

Default face flushing

Hi everyone-

I have a question regarding the "butterfly rash" that goes with Lupus. What does this rash look like (bumpy or smooth... itchy or not)? I'm asking because my face gets extremely flushed (sometimes one cheek, others two) and I feel like I am radiating heat. It's not itchy at all, but feels like I have a fever (but I don't). From what I have read, this doesn't seem to be the typical rash that accompanies Lupus.

But, since you all have hands on experience, I thought that this would be a good question to post here (sorry... I tried to dig through many posts so this wouldn't be a repeat question, but couldn't find it).

Also, if anyone has the flushing like I do, what do you do to calm it down? I haven't been outside in the sun, so I can't blame that.

Thanks in advance!
    be well-
    Tracy

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi tracy,

my rash goes from cheek to cheek accross my nose. my nose looks like i have on glasses. it is usually not raised, but is just a flushed look, smooth, no itching. burning, yes, sometimes feels like i have put alcohol on my face,.

what do i do, i try to cover it up when i go out, and other than that, i just wait it out. because, when i have the rash, my eyes are puffy, and dark, with circles under them....all the makeup in the world won't cover this stuff up.

one thing is for sure, people who know me can tell when i am in a flare, cause my face is an obvious sign.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

I haven't had the lupus rash. When I thought I did, it turned out to be a rather intense flare of rosacea. The flushing from taht was sometimes quite warm.

There are many things that can cause rashes - you might want to check with your doc or with a dermatologist if it continues.

In any case, you might want to stay out of the sun as much as possible, it often exacerbates whatever's causing the rash.
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

Hi Tracy! I get the rash on both cheeks and my nose, its not bumpy or itchy but its very red and noticeable. I also get a rash at times around my eyes,this one is bumpy and VERY itchy. Its mostly due to my dry eyes so i use "tear" drops and i put shortening around my eyes for the itching and the dryness. It works GREAT and it helps with the fine lines of ageing! WOO HOO! Anything to help with that!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Thanks

Question I get the same thing!

Hey there. I have not been diagnosed yet but am suspected of lupus. I see a rheumatologist in may. I get the same thing across my nose and cheeks. Its flat no bumps etc. Can be light pinkish-red to red to reddish-purple looking. It burns too and feels warm-hot. Mine never seems to last more than hours at a time though but I can get it more than once in a day. The last two days I have gotten it out of nowhere as well. Usually the sun and fluorescent lights are triggers as well as emotional stress and heat. When I get a hot shower I get the rash for a little while after. The blowdryer does it bad. I can get it on my face by itself or even on my arms and chest. Its the same thing with the same characteristic burning, etc. Just wondering what in the world it is and if its not typical of lupus is lupus actually causing it?!? If not what is? lol -Brittanee
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Methotrexate- 2.5mg 4 pills 1x/week
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Bentyl- 10mg 4x/day, Miralax- 17g 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day
    Flonase 50mcg 2 sprays each 1x/day

Wanna know my story, just ask!

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sometimes, I get the rash on one side and sometimes on both. Depending upon the severity of my flare, the rash can go from just a blush to a raised bumpy area. The only time that it itches or burns is when it is exposed to the sun or to fluorescent lights.

Just like everything else with Lupus, no two persons have the same symptoms and the symptoms present differently in each of us Maddening, I know!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!