Thread: Mass on the Kidney

Thanks

Default Mass on the Kidney

I had CT scan of abdomen done last year and small mass(cyst) was found in top of the kidney. Now I am doing ultra sound every year to monitor the growth. doctor thinks it is benign no cancerous. Anyone knows about these?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi ssingh,

i don't really have info specific to cysts on kidneys....i would be afraid to share my limited knowledge about cysts. i am sure someone will be along soon who can answer your questions.

just wanted to say hi, hope you are having a nice weekend.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Cysts that form on the kidneys usually contain fluid. One or more cysts may develop on small tubes in the kidneys. The simple kidney cyst is different from the cysts that develop when a person has polycystic kidney disease, which is a genetic disease. Simple kidney cysts become more common as people age. Nearly 30 percent of people over the age of 70 have at least one simple kidney cyst. Most often, simple cysts do not cause symptoms or harm the kidney. In some cases, however, pain can occur when cysts enlarge and press on other organs. Sometimes cysts become infected or suddenly start to bleed. Less often the cysts impair kidney function. People with simple cysts are often found to have high blood pressure.

If cysts cause symptoms, treatment may be needed. One procedure involves puncturing the cyst using a long needle inserted through the skin. The doctor uses ultrasonography to guide the needle to the cyst. The cyst is drained and then filled with a solution containing alcohol to make the tissue harder.

If the cyst is large, surgery may be needed. Most procedures can be performed using a laparoscope, which allows for a smaller incision and quicker recovery. The surgeon drains the cyst then removes or burns away its outer tissue. Most patients stay in the hospital 1 or 2 days.

I hope that this has been helpful

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

but doc. is concerned about renal cell carcinoma but I have no pain