Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: benadryl for sleep

Thanks

Default benadryl for sleep

I been taking 25mg of benadryl at night for help me to sleep. its been working and I think I is much metter the other sleep aids like ambien and such.. any thoughts on long term use?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Oh really.....it worked? I may try it.I'll try anything once. I dont usually sleep till between 3am and 8am on a bad day. So ive nothing to loose. How long you tried it for? xxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

for about 3 month and helps me with allergies.

Thanks

Red face me too

Hi, I have been taking Benedryl for sleep atleast 2 years now. I like it. I switched to Tylenol PM which is Tylenol and Benedryl, because it takes care of aches that keep me up on top other junk. The only thing I can tell you is I have to take 2 now, where in beginning I took 1, and also when I don't take it I can tell! Hope I helped. Kathy
    Sorry i'm not home pain! and don't leave message I am not calling u back!

Lupus,Fibromyalgia,Hypertension, Sjogrens,Raynauds,

Macular degeneration,Depression,Arthritis

Thanks

Sometimes when I don't have something I need to do early the next morning, like drive somewhere or keep my Lexie, I take Nyquil...it works wonders. Benidryl might be a better idea. Oh course, I will have to ask my doctor.
    I have flexerill, but the only thing that does is make me groggy most of the next day, but doesn't do anything for the pain.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Good to know.Im back on Nitrazepam and scared of getting addicted so dont take em everyday.Maybe this is another solution.I will look into it.

love
    Angel.xxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

I told my PCP that I was taking my buddy Vick to bed with me every night to help me sleep (get your mind out of the gutter---I'm talking Nyquil) and she said Benadryl has the same active ingredient as the Nyquil. She told me I need to be careful though because they both have something in them that contributes to making the mouth drier

Drier mouth v no sleep--not even something I have to consider because I can't function without sleep.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

ok its out of the gutter now

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've been taking benadryl to help me sleep for many years. I add it to my pill box just like a regular rx. If I feel sleepy before 9-10 pm I don't take it. It also seems to help my lupus. I am the side effects queen, if it has a side effect from long term use it has never bothered me.

I have tried other meds for sleep like trazadone that left me groggy in the morning. I didn't like it.
    Ayah
    Believe in Tomorrow - Appreciate Today
    http://twitter.com/LupieAyah

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

The active ingredient in Benadryl is called Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride. It's a relatively safe drug to take, even on a long term basis. It's non-addictive, and is tolerated well by most people. Although I don't take it to help me sleep, (nothing helps me sleep very well) I do take it for allergies and runny nose. As it was originally designed to be an antihistamine, is does have a drying effect, although mild. Tylenol PM contains the DH as well as Acetominafen. You need to be careful that you don't take other medications containing Acetominafen while taking Tylenol PM, as an overdose can cause liver damage. Of course, be sure to ask your Dr. if the Benadryl is OK for you to take, and will not have a bad interaction with other meds you may be taking.