Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D Toxic

Thanks

Default Vitamin D Toxic

I keep getting different info on the web about vitamin D toxicity. My doctor started me on (exact prescription label) Take 1-50,000 IU Tablets 4 times per week. This was about two months ago. Right after the first one I got the worst headache of my life. About three days later, after the headache was gone, I took another with the same results. I took me until about a week ago to take those original eight pills. When I called in my prescription refill using the prescription number, something strange happened. I noticed when I got home that this bottle says to take 1- 50,000 IU tablet two times per week. I did notice that when I picked up the first bottle the pharmacist gave the bottle a strange look when releasing it to me. Maybe the first one was mislabeled. It really makes little difference as far as my headaches go. The lower dose is still giving me headaches.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi kh

i take vitamin d, but my dr. has me taking calcium with vit. d. sorry, i can't answer your question...i am sure someone will be along who has experience/knowledge, and can help you.

i would definitely call my dr. about the dosage discrepancy....or maybe your pharmacist can provide assistance.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Interestingly, I got the headaches when I first started the 50,000mgs, although they eased up and I don't seem to get them as bad now. As far as dosage, I haven't seen dosage that aggressive. When they first started me and I was pretty low (I was 15 with 25 being the low end of that test) they started me with 50,000mg's once a week. Then they had me taking 1000mg per day. I now have gotten myself to the low end of what is good for you, but still am "deficient" per the doctor. So they started me again at 50,000, but every other week.

I would definitely follow up with the doctor. I guess the question is how long they have you doing it. Your body can probably handle it for a couple weeks at that dosage without any problem.

Larz

Thanks

why did dr rx vit D? My dr refused to dx me w/ Lupus but presribed 50,000 u vit d at 1x week - no explaination presription came in the mail a few days after appointment.

I have a weak positive ANA and weak positive dsDNA and light symptoms.

I have not noticed any affect, ill or otherwise from the high dose vit D -

Thanks

I am on that same dose but only once per week. I have never heard of it being written for more than once per week...my vitamin D is also really really low.
    Diagnosed with: Lupus, Hashimoto's Thryroiditis, Hypercoaguable State (2 DVT's)
    I have a hard time taking my medications regularly and I am working on getting better at that!

Thanks

Default Vitamin D

The vitamin D was prescribed because I had a D reading of 14. I live in Tucson AZ. This is in the top 4 of the sunniest places on earth. As you know, the sun is where D comes from. I moved from Cleveland Ohio to Tucson because the cold, wet, polluted air there was causing me to have 9-12 lung infections of pnemonia and bronchitis every year. That was 16 years ago. Now I get 2-3 bouts a year and pleurisy often. I am afraid that when I go back to the doc in April my reading won't have changed.

Thanks

Oh dear! I sure hope you are feeling better soon. Sending hugs your way!
    Diagnosed with: Lupus, Hashimoto's Thryroiditis, Hypercoaguable State (2 DVT's)
    I have a hard time taking my medications regularly and I am working on getting better at that!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

As I was reading this thread a doctor of Fox news was talking about vit D. He recomends 1000 iu a day. I take 800 iu a day. I haven't been tested for it. Are there specific symptoms if you need more?
    Ayah
    Believe in Tomorrow - Appreciate Today
    http://twitter.com/LupieAyah

Thanks

I love your story here!!!!! I am in Phoenix and grew up in Columbus, Ohio!!!!! I am also struggling with my vitamin D levels and the doctor keeps pushing more and more into my system.........I take a few tablets in the morning and a chewable one with calcium at night. I asked my doctor how I could possibly have a low count when I think we live in the sunniest place in the United States! I am outside a lot and I just don't get it......I just find the whole thing kind of ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by KHoguetuc View Post
    The vitamin D was prescribed because I had a D reading of 14. I live in Tucson AZ. This is in the top 4 of the sunniest places on earth. As you know, the sun is where D comes from. I moved from Cleveland Ohio to Tucson because the cold, wet, polluted air there was causing me to have 9-12 lung infections of pnemonia and bronchitis every year. That was 16 years ago. Now I get 2-3 bouts a year and pleurisy often. I am afraid that when I go back to the doc in April my reading won't have changed.
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I keep finding different info too. I'm new here. Hi. My rheumy wants me to take 50000 IU once a week. She said I was a 7. I've been scared to start that high dosage, but now I'm really shaking. Lol. I hate headaches. I have them all the time and don't want to take something that may make it worse. Worse always sends me to the ER for pain control. I'm interested to know more too. My rheumy says you can't over do it on D, but I don't know.