Thread: new

Thanks

Default new

Hi all!!
    I am new, I just went to the doc yesterday to start dx. I have a few of the symptoms on the list. I went on in to the doc because of unexplained fever for a couple of days.
    I have always (since about 19) had the sun sensitivity, small bumps mainly on my arms that itch when in the sun, although not everytime in sun.
    I have the butterfly rash, but it is not real dark.
    I have the aching joints, knees here lately.
    extreme fatigue.-this one has been tough, I homeschool my three kids.
    now, the fever with no other reason for it.
    I started my cycle the day before the doc visit, so (because this is a volunteer clinic) I could not get a cath done to rule out the fever being caused by possible a kidney infection. So, she put me on a 10 day antibiotic. They did do some preliminary bloodwork - should get results back next week.

My fever had passed by the time I went in to see the doc, so I am wondering if the blood tests will still show positive for Lupus?
    I know that u have to be in a flare for that to show up right?
    I still had the butterfly rash though, just faintly.
    I know this will be a long journey to dx.
    It is all so frustrating :roll:

Thanks

Hey Sandfeet. I too am in Florida and all I can say is Good luck!!! I think you might have a better chance with the drs if you are in Central or South Florida, North Florida is a nightmare when it comes to Rheumy's and drs in general from my experience here.
    I really hope they can find an answer for you soon and you start to feel better. The fatigue is awful I know but since summer is coming I think the hard part for me is the Sun. I have a (almost) 7 year old little boy that doesn't sit still for anything.
    Welcome to our home away from home. {{HUG}}

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Sandfeet;
    No, you need not be in a flare in order for your blood tests to show results for lupus. Keep in mind that there is no "one" test that will prove if you do or do not have lupus.
    Here is a list of the blood tests done to determine if you have lupus:

Albumin - Normal Range=3.4-4.7 g/dL. Major component of plasma proteins, influenced by nutritional state, hepatic function, renal function, various diseases. Serum albumin gives an indication of severity in chronic liver disease.

ANA (Antinuclear Antibodies) - Normal Range = < 1:20. A blanket term for lots of different antibodies that bind to the nuclei of cells. Not all types of anti-nuclear antibody are associated with Lupus. ANA is high in - 1/3-3/4 of people over age 65 (usually in low titers), systemic lupus erythematosus (98%), drug-induced lupus (100%), Sjogren's Syndrome (80%), rheumatoid arthritis (30-50%), scleroderma (60%), mixed connective tissue disease (100%), Felty's syndrome, mononucleosis, hepatic or biliary cirrhosis, hepatitis, leukemia, myasthenia gravis, dermatomyositis, polymyositis, chronic renal failure. A negative ANA test does not completely rule out SLE, but alternative diagnoses should be considered. Pattern of staining of ANA may give some clues to diagnoses, but since the pattern also changes with serum dilution, it is not routinely reported. Only the rim (peripheral) pattern is highly specific (for SLE). More information...
    A positive test means - Most patients with lupus will have a positive ANA test at some time in the course of their disease. Many normal healthy people also have positive ANA tests. A positive test, in a patient with lupus symptoms, means that lupus is a possible diagnosis.
    A negative test means - If the ANA is negative it can mean that the patient does not have lupus, or their lupus is in remission. However, a small number of lupus patients never have a positive ANA test, & some can take a while for the ANA test to become positive.

ANCA (antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies), P-ANCA (perinuclear) C-ANCA (cytoplasmic) - Normal Range = none present. ANCA is the antibody to white cells. It is found in approx 20% lupus patients, lupus specificity is poor. C-ANCA suggests a systemic vasculitis disease, and is rarely seen in patients with lupus. P-ANCA is most seen in necrotizing, crescentic glomerulonephritis and polyarteritis nodosa. P-ANCA is found in some lupus patients.

Anti-Cardiolipin (Anti-Phospholipid) - Normal Range for anti-IgG = 0 - 20 GPL; Normal Range for anti-IgM = 0 - 10 MPL. It is the antibody to the cell membrane. Found in approx 33% lupus patients, lupus specificity is fair. Antibodies to cardiolipin have been associated with an incresased incidence of vascular thrombosis, thrombocytopenia and recurrent fetal loss in patients with SLE. Increased in: SLE, some connective tissue diseases, and in Antiphospholipid Syndrome (Hughes Syndrome). Patients with acute and chronic infections (including syphilis, HIV, Lyme disease) may also have increased anti-cardiolipin antibodies.

Anti-DNA - Normal Range = < 1:10 titer. Antibody to cell nucleus. It is increased in Systemic lupus erythematosus (50 %) & is highly specific to SLE. Anti-ds-DNA antibody is not found in drug-induced lupus. Titers of anti-ds-DNA correlate well with disease activity and with occurrence of glomerulonephritis.
    A positive test means - In a person with lupus symptoms, a positive test almost always means that lupus is present. However, the test can also be positive in some patients with rare diseases.
    A negative test means - A negative test does not mean that lupus is not present.

Anti-Ro/SS-A - Normal Range = Negative. It is positive in Primary Sjogren's syndrome (70%), SLE (30%), rheumatoid arthritis (10%). Patients with antibodies to SS-A may have a negative ANA test. Lupus specificity is fair.
    A positive test means -In pregnant women, it can cause the condition known as neonatal lupus. Approx. one quarter of the women who have this antibody, will have a child who develops neonatal lupus.
    A negative test means - If both this test and the anti-La/SSB test are negative, the child of a pregnant woman will not develop neonatal lupus.

Anti-Sm antibodies - An antibody that binds to proteins in the nucleus of cells. Rare in UK; mainly found in West Indians with SLE. Not found in any other diseases, only in SLE.
    A positive test means - A positive test usually means that lupus is present.
    A negative test means - Does not mean that lupus is not present. Most people with lupus have either anti-DNA or anti-Sm antibodies.

Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN) - Normal Range = 8-20 mg/dL . It is increased in renal failure (acute or chronic), urinary tract obstruction, dehydration, shock, burns, CHF, gastrointestinal bleeding. Drugs with renal toxicity, eg, gentamicin. It is decreased in hepatic failure, nephrotic syndrome, cachexia (low-protein and high-carbohydrate diets).

C3 (complement) - Normal Range = 64-166 mg/dL. . Most diseases with immune complexes will show decreased C3 levels. It is increased in many inflammatory conditions including rheumatoid arthritis, SLE, etc. It is decreased in many conditions including SLE, Sjogren's, rheumatoid arthritis.

C4 (complement) - Normal Range = 15-45 mg/dL. It is decreased in SLE, rheumatoid arthritis, congenital deficiency. Congenital C4 deficiency occurs with an SLE-like syndrome.

Complement studies - Complement (which comes in over 20 varieties) is important in getting rid of bacteria. Deficiency of certain complement molecules [especially C2, C4] increases the risk of developing SLE; these deficiencies run in families, ie can be inherited. Complement is also used up when SLE is active, because of the damage to tissues; this can be measured by C3d
    A positive test means - If the levels of complement are low, it means the body is undergoing a severe immune reaction. Although lupus is one cause, there are many others.
    A negative test means - Normal levels of complement mean that lupus inflammatory kidney disease is unlikely. However, other types of kidney disease can still occur.

CH50 (complement) - Normal Range = Laboratory-specific U/mL. Measures the overall function of complement.

Cholesterol - Normal Range = Desirable < 200; Borderline 200-239; High risk > 240 mg/dL. Cholesterol level is determined by lipid metabolism, which is in turn influenced by heredity, diet, and liver, kidney, thyroid, and other endocrine organ functions.

Creatinine - Normal Range = 0.6-1.2 mg/dL. It is increased in acute or chronic renal failure; urinary tract obstruction, nephrotoxic drugs. It is decreased in reduced muscle mass, possible drug effect. Measures the salts in the blood and gives an idea of kidney function
    A positive test means - Creatinine levels rise when kidney function fails; creatinine clearance falls.
    A negative test means - Normal levels mean that kidney function is normal, but do not mean that everything about the kidney is normal.

CRP (C-reactive protein) - An inflammatory marker, but this does NOT usually go up in Lupus

Differential Neutrophils, Lymphocytes, Monocytes, Eosinophils, Basophils - Normal Range = 1.8-6.8 K/mL; 0.9-2.9 K/mL; 0.1-0.6 K/mL; 0-0.4 K/mL ;0-0.1 K/mL; 0-0.2 K/mL. Increased neutrophils suggests infection (bacterial or early viral, rarely leukemia), acute stress, acute and chronic inflammations. Increased lymphocytes suggest viral infection (especially, infectious mononucleosis, pertussis), chronic infection, drug and allergic reactions, autoimmune disease. Decreased lymphocytes suggest immune deficiency syndrome. Increased monocytes suggests inflammation, infection. Decreased monocytes- depleted in overwhelming bacterial infection. Increased eosinophils suggests allergic states, drug sensitivity reaction, skin disorders, tissue invasion by parasites. Decreased eosinophils suggests acute and chronic inflammation, stress, drugs: steroids. Increased basophils suggests hypersensitivity reactions, drugs.

ENA (Extractable Nuclear Antigens) - These are other antibodies to proteins in the nuclei.
    - Includes anti-Sm
    - anti-Ro (especially associated with lupus skin disease, heartblock in neonates and Sjögrens syndrome. It can 'leak' across the placenta and lead to slow heartbeat in the developing foetus: this can require a 'blood change' as soon as the baby is born.)
    - anti-La (SLE, Sjögrens syndrome)
    - anti-RNP (if present with antibodies to DNA, then diagnosis is SLE, if present alone, then diagnosis is mixed connective tissue disease, MCTD)
    - Anti-Scl70 (systemic sclerosis)
    - Anti-Jol (polymyositis)
    - And others

Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (Sed Rate, ESR) - Normal Range = Male: < 10. Female: < 15. A marker of non-specific inflammation, tends to be raised in lupus. Increased in infections (osteomyelitis, pelvic inflammatory disease [75%]), inflammatory disease (temporal arteritis, polymyalgia rheumatica, rheumatic fever), anemia, pregnancy, chronic renal failure, GI disease (ulcerative colitis, regional ileitis). Decreased in congestive heart failure, drugs (high dose corticosteroids). Low value of no diagnostic significance. ESR is higher in women and older persons.

Full Blood Count (FBC) - Detects anaemia (low red cell count), low platelets, low white blood cells

Glucose - Normal Range = 60-115 mg/dL. Increased in diabetes mellitus, Cushing's syndrome (10-15%), chronic pancreatitis (30%) Drugs - corticosteroids, phenytoin, estrogen, thiazides. Diagnosis of diabetes mellitus is consistent with a fasting plasma glucose >140 mg/dL on more than one occasion. Hypoglycemia is defined as glucose <50 mg/dL in men and <40 mg/dL in women.

Haemoglobin - Normal Range = Male: 13.6-17.5 Female: 12.0-15.5.

Immunoglobulins (IG) - Normal Range = IgA: 78-367 mg/dL. IgG: 583-1761 mg/dL. IgM: 52-335 mg/dL. IgG increased in- Polyclonal: Autoimmune diseases (eg, SLE, RA), sarcoidosis, chronic or recurrent infections. IgA increased in- Polyclonal: Chronic liver disease, chronic infections (especially of the GI and respiratory tracts). IgG decreased in- Immunosuppressive therapy. IgM decreased in- Immunosuppresive therapy.

Iron - Normal Range = 50-175 µg/dL.

LE cells - An old-fashioned test: it detected antibodies to histones (proteins that support the DNA). These anti-histone antibodies are often found when the Lupus is triggered by drugs

Liver function tests - Includes measurement of liver enzymes. Measures albumin (may indicate a kidney problem)

Platelet Count - Normal Range = 150-450 X 10 3/uL. Platelets are a type of blood cell that helps in clotting. They are used up in severe clotting, and are reduced by antibodies to platelets.

Rheumatoid Factor - Normal Range = Negative (<1:16). Positive in rheumatoid arthritis (75-90%), Sjogren's (80-90%), scleroderma, dermatomyositis, SLE (30%), sarcoidosis, Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemia. Drugs: methyldopa, others. Low titer can be found in healthy older patients (20%). A positive RF test is only one of several criteria needed to make the diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis.

False positive test for syphilis - Not done normally now; known that that this test picks up antibodies to phospholipids (anti-cardiolipin antibodies, lupus anti-coagulant). Anti-phospholipid antibodies are found in SLE and in Hughes? syndrome

Uric Acid - Normal Range = Males: 2.4-7.4 Females 1.4-5.8 mg/dL. Increased in renal failure, gout, myeloproliferative disorders (leukaemia, lymphoma, myeloma, polycythemia vera), psoriasis.

White Blood Count (WBC, Leukocyte count) - Normal Range = 3.4-10 K/µL. Increased in infection, inflammation, haematologic malignancy, leukaemias (AML, ALL, CML, CLL), lymphoma. Drugs: corticosteroids. Decreased in Aplastic anaemia (decreased production), B12 or folate deficiency (maturation defect), sepsis (decreased survival). Drugs: phenothiazines, chloramphenicol, aminopyrine.

Thanks

hi sandfeet,

so glad that you posted. so sorry your not feeling well, but if your like alot of us this will come and go. what i have learned is that i have to really keep on the doc's to get things done, it's a pain but in the end i get the meds i need and start feeling better. i also do alot of reading on what other tric's people do to stay well, lots of good feed back out ther re: diet, stress, and meds. i hope you post here often and find some good support from woman who have been handeling lupus for a long time, they have helped me more then the nurses!

be well,
    mleinda 8)

Thanks

Default Hey Melinda

guess what? You are a little guppy now just like me. Congratulations!!!!!
    Just thought you might could use a little giggle. :lol: {{HUG}} Hope you are doing lots better.

Thanks

power to the guppys! :lol:
    i'm in much less pain. now i'm fighting a bad case of the all day sleepys.

be well!!

mleinda

Thanks

Can you take B12? That's what I take when the fatigue hits and it seems to help me. Ask your dr first tho if you aren't sure but they give me energy to at least make it through the day. Really glad the pain isn't as bad, I HOPE it stays that way!!!!!!
    Have a good day!
    T

Thanks

hello, i get a b12 shot every week, i think it really helps in the long run.

have a great day,
    melinda