Thread: Understanding flares

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Understanding flares

I am trying to understand about flares. I work in an office that has flourescent lights. I have noticed yesterday and today that i look red and my skin feels like i have a slight sunburn. It itches slightly,but it does not appear to be a rash. My chest is also getting red. I feel like i am getting sick . Very tired and achy and my eyes feel heavy like i have a fever, but i took my temp and it is normal. I have never experienced any of these symptoms until after i fell on the ice. Could that have trigger all of this or am i imagining things. I feel like i am crazy. My mouth is broke out again under my upper lip, if the lights are causing this how can i prevent it from happening, because i have to work. I see all the logs about preventing flares and knowing when one is coming,but is this what it feels like when you are actually having one and how log does it generally last etc... Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi teri
    it certainly sounds like the office lighting could be causing a flare. the advice that i have received is to wear spf covering my face, and wear clothing that covers my skin. don't know if it works....i too get really weak after working under florescent lighting.

the severity and duration of flares vary from person to person and flare to flare. some of my flares last just overnight, and then i have had some that drag on for months. wish i could give better answer, but this is lupus.

is your working environment one where you can change out the office light, maybe go to desk lamps and turn off overhead florescent.

good luck, hope you find some answers
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Hi Teri,

I'm not always affected by flourescent lights. I have my good days and my bad days.

The office I formerly worked in had switched the flourescent for natural white lights. They are still flourescent but they are different.

I'm not sure how much of an affect this had, but I was rarely bothered by them. Of course the natural white light is more expensive, geesh.

I've had the hot, itchy, face flushed, rash. Was awful for the first day, started calming down by the second day, and faded off to nothing by the end of the third day.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I don't experience this myself, but yes, fluorescent lights have been known to cause flares in lupus patients, so you aren't the only one. It's a tough problem to solve, because you're right, you need to work. I would try wearing a good SPF sunscreen while you're working.
    23 year old clinical psychology grad student with lupus (SLE) and nephritis
    Medications: CellCept, Plaquenil, Prednisone, Lisinopril, Lipitor, OsCal+D

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes, fluorescent lights a well known to be a major source of flare-ups. Lupus patients are very sensitive to UV rays, that is why it is so important to wear sunscreen when outside in the sun. But what most people don't realize is, they should be wearing UV protection inside as well, this means that when working in an office, you should wear UV protection to protect you from the "hidden" UV rays in Fluorescent lighting. This also means that when you go shopping in grocery stores or department stores, you should wear UV protection.
    I, as a matter of my daily routine, wear UV protection 24/7. I make sure that I always have a minimum SPF of 35. Sunscreen is my body lotion! It can, sometimes, present a problem when wearing it under makeup, so for your face, you should purchase a non-greasy sunscreen. They sometimes cost a bit more, but it is worth it. Also, many high-end make-ups contain sunscreen. I do both.

Do you have your own office where you work? If so, you can purchase several desk lamps and use those in your office and turn off the fluorescent lights. If you do not have your own office, you could mention, to your office, that most fluorescent lighting can be covered with a protective Plexiglas panel that allows light through but not the radiation that triggers the flare-ups and the pain. Perhaps they would at least be willing to do this in your work area.

I hope that you are able to get over this flare quickly and, hopefully, if you take precautions, you can avoid (or at least minimize) another flare-up. I wish you the very best

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!