Thread: New and need help with lab results

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default New and need help with lab results

Hi, My name is Teri and I am currently in the process of being evaluated for an auto immune disease such as Lupus or Sjorgens.
    My symptoms are redness across cheeks, a large red spot on top of my back it looks like a sunburn, but never goes away. Dry mouth, mouth ulcers,fatigue,sore all over. Also have had a pain that moves from place to place for several years. I have brain fog, but thought it might be menopause. My hair is getting thin and I saw a clump of it in the shower one day. Was sent to a rhuemy after I fell on the ice and hurt my back. Xrays showed inflammation in the spine that suggested auto immune. After my fall is when I started having the problems with my mouth. The rhuemy says I have Degenerative Arthritis in my spine and knees but everything else looks ok. I just got my lab work but have to wait until April 16th to return to rheumy. Could someone please look at the following lab results and let me know what you think, I am not sure if the ssa and ssb is positive or neg. It looks like lupus to me but I'm not sure about Sjorgens.
    Ana- 1:80 titer
    ana pattern- speckled
    ana titer -1:640
    esr -38
    ra factor -22
    ssa -<20
    ssb -<20
    vitamin d -8 -started me on 50,000 iu once a wk
    globulin -4.1 -high
    ldh -263- high
    spe gamma- 1.70- high
    spep fract int -abnormal
    hla b 27 -neg
    albumin -3.8- low
    Thank you for your help
    Last edited by TERI A.; 03-16-2009 at 04:17 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Smile welcome

the first three test are what my resutls were and they told me it was lupus. the others i would go online and look up i am not sure or wait for one of the others to come on. there are people on this site with more expierence than me with test results. hang in there someone will be able to help you.

Thanks

I agree with Gina...what I did and still do when my labs come back is google everything. It really helps. Even if it is scary I like being on top of it and not wondering in the dark.

Well I did a google myself...I thought I recognised some of the other tests but wanted to be sure. The others are testing of your liver function. Not totally sure what the high results mean, you might just be fighting off an infection...

The ssa and ssb are tests for Sjogrens...not sure what the numbers mean if there wasnt anything written down...the esr is the sed rate..again different labs do it differently. It looks high, though. And I say the same with Ra...about 70 or 80% of people with Sjogrens test positive to Ra. I do know that in Sjogrens sometimes the liver is involved which is why he tested all your liver counts in the first place. My guess is if it doesn't say Low or high or negative or positive, then I would consider it negative and within normal range unless doc says differently.
    When do you next see the doctor? I would want to try to get right in to see what he says about these results.
    Let us know when you find out...hugs
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default New and need help with lab results THANKS

Thanks for your replys. I have done a lot of research on the internet. I realize that anas alone don't mean lupus, but all of the other blood work with the positive ana and the symptoms probably do.

Thanks

Hi Teri,

I agree with SNT; it appears your positive for Lupus. Sjogren's labs look normal although you should be retested once a year. I wasn't positive with Sjogrens until 2 years after the Lupus diagnosis. So, ask your rhuemy to retest every so often. The other is you can have a Rose Bengal test from an opthamologist which is what I originally had done. I then took the Anti-ssa/ssb tests and bingo, I was positive.

I hope this helps.

Faith

Thanks

Faith,
    What is the Rose Bengal test. I normally have to see the ophthalmologist twice a year as me right eye swells shut.

Sitting on the beach drinking lemonade.
    Fair wind and following seas.
    David

Thanks

Hey Grime,

The following labs/tests can be completed for a positive diagnosis of Sjogrens Syndrome. Any of the following.

"For consistent treatment of Sjögren's syndrome, criteria devised by a group of European doctors are used to help diagnose cases of this disease and to identify cases in which a person has similar symptoms but has other medical problems that may be causing the symptoms. The following tests may help find inflammation of saliva gland tissue, decreased formation of tears or saliva, or certain substances in the blood:

Schirmer's tests measure tear flow. In Schirmer I, a small strip of soft paper is placed in your lower eyelid to absorb your tear flow. Your doctor then measures the area of the paper that is moistened, to evaluate the amount of tear flow. In Schirmer II, a cotton swab is placed gently into your nose to stimulate tear production, in order to measure how fast tears form in your eyes when you feel an irritation in your nose. One or both of these tests will help determine whether your tear (lacrimal) glands are responding properly.

Rose Bengal tests measure potential damage to eyes. A small drop of dye is placed in your lower eyelid. The dye coats the surface of your eye and is then rinsed out. A slit lamp is then used to study the surface of the eye to look for dry or scratched areas. This test is usually performed by an ophthalmologist.

Salivary function tests measure the amount of saliva you produce. A straw is placed in your mouth, which pools the saliva into a cup. Decreased saliva production is often present if you have Sjögren's syndrome.
    Blood tests for Sjögren's syndrome determine whether autoantibodies are present in your blood. The presence of autoantibodies, which are proteins produced by the immune system, may help your doctor diagnose Sjögren's syndrome.
    Tissue biopsies are done to see whether the salivary gland tissue is inflamed. A small tissue sample (biopsy) is removed from a small salivary gland on the inside of your mouth.
    Nuclear medicine scans of the salivary glands are done to see whether the glands appear to be normal.
    Your doctor may do other tests to check for evidence of other autoimmune diseases that also may cause dry eyes and mouth and other symptoms not related to Sjögren's. These tests include:

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate, to find out whether a condition causing inflammation is present.
    Rheumatoid factor, to help support a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis.
    Antinuclear antibodies, to help diagnose systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and other suspected autoimmune diseases."

What I have found out is not only do I have Sjogrens, I also have blepheritis. My eyelids pigmentation change and feel papery, eyes ache, etc. I recently had plugs put into my drain ducts which has been a huge relief. The doc even told me he could permanently seal the ducts if the plugs ever come out.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Take care,

Faith

Thanks

Hey David,

I started having allergy issues with my eyes and the doc prescribed Pataday; it has made a huge difference. It is made by Alcon just in case your eye is shutting due to allergies. I thought I would pass it on. Jeech, all the things we learn. lol.

Faith

Thanks

Thank you Faith for taking the time to explain all this.

I've had the Rose Bengal test a number of times. When my eye would swell my op would use something that felt like a hot poker in the eye. My eye would get better. He also had me use baby shampoo along with a prescription cream. He also found and removed the skin cancer that my PCP said was an age spot.

In the past I just excepted that my problems have come from the type of work I did. I never asked questions. From now on I am going to get full reports from the doctors I see. Even if the VA doesn't like to give this information out. Its my body, my health and my life they are dealing with and I have the right to know.

The ways my face and eyes have been for years I have been ask more than once if I was an alcoholic. They find it strange that I don't drink.
    Last edited by Grime; 03-17-2009 at 05:53 AM.

Sitting on the beach drinking lemonade.
    Fair wind and following seas.
    David