Thread: Should I get tested

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Should I get tested

Ok, I have recently found out that I have a family histoy of Lupus. My mother has 2 sisters and a brother that just in he past 3 weeks have been diagnosed. Her youngest sister has had Lupus for many years. But it seems like all f the children are getting it now, and now my cousins.
    My husband tells me that I am always sick. I get flu like symptoms all the time, like every other month I am sick for 2-3 weeks at a time. I have constant pain in my hip that wll not go away. I cannot lay on that side when I sleep it hurts so bad.
    I am 32 years old, and I feel like I am going 60.
    If anyone has any words of wisdom for me please HELP!!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi mommyhcw;

Each person?s experience with lupus is different. Symptoms can range from mild to severe and may come and go over time.
    Common symptoms of lupus include extreme fatigue, painful or swollen joints, unexplained fever, and skin rashes. A characteristic skin rash may appear across the nose and cheeks - the so-called butterfly or malar rash. Other rashes occur elsewhere on the face and ears, upper arms, shoulders, chest, and hands.
    Other symptoms of lupus include chest pain, hair loss, sensitivity to the sun, anemia (a decrease in red blood cells), and pale or purple fingers and toes from cold and stress. Some people also experience headaches, dizziness, depression, or seizures. New symptoms may continue to appear years after the initial diagnosis, and different symptoms can occur at different times.
    People with lupus produce abnormal antibodies in their blood which target tissues within their own body. Lupus is one of the autoimmune diseases. The chronic inflammation which is associated with this condition can affect the skin, heart, lungs, kidneys, joints, and nervous system. When only the skin is affected, the condition is known as discoid lupus. When other internal organs are affected, the condition is known as systemic lupus erythematosus. Approximately 8 times more women than men are diagnosed with lupus.
    If you feel that your symptoms are as those described above, and especially since you have a family history for Lupus, it might be beneficial for you to get tested. Remember, there is not a definative test for lupus and the testing process can be lengthy.
    I wish you the best...Let us know how you are doing
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie