Thread: An update - the big decision put on hold!

Thanks

Default An update - the big decision put on hold!

The big decision on the big meds (Methotrexate or Imuran) has been put on hold for now, I may be dealing with hyperthyroidism instead of lupus/ra.

Anyone here have experience with thyroid problems. In the search for what is causing my lupus like symptoms and the Rheumatoid arthritis, the doctor did some blood work last appointment to see what is going on to try and avoid taking some of these chemo drugs that we have considered (b/c of the extreme joint pain and other symptoms). Well as it turns out I am very low on tsh, thus that indicates hyperthyroidism (I knwo its backwards LOL low - hyper, high, hypo - silly). Anyway I am now to go see my endocrinologist (that I see for diabetes) about the thyroid. It could explain many of the issues (if not all). So we shall see. Would explain the extreme fatigue - she said that if you are hyperthyroid your metabolic system is on high speed, so your body is basdically exhausted from it, the lack of sleep (I cannot sleep well anymore, I need to take benadryl to sleep and I can't stay asleep). The joint pain is "possiblly" related she said, among other things. There are so many symptoms and if they can be resolved with a thyroid issue being treated that would be wonderful. I am still young at 32 and I'd like to have the quality of life that I can enjoy with my son. The pain is so bad sometimes I can't walk straight. And holding things becomes a problem b/c of the hand pain. So I'm praying a lot!

So for now we are not taking the big drugs (YAY!). Though I am still in a lot of pain, we didn't want to start out another drug if this may all be caused by a thyroid or pituitary problem.

I will keep ya updated.
    Amy
    Mommy to a cute little three year old.
    I am a Juvenile Diabetic diagnosed at age 12, Positive ANA, arthritic joint pain, extreme fatigue, cannot take prednisone and am allergic to Plaquenil. Undifferentiated connective tissue disorder, Graves disease and fibromyalgia

Thanks

Hey Amy,

That might be great news...yeah for you
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

Many years ago I had non-graves hyperthyroid, it was when they were first trying to use meds instead of immediately going to surgery or radiation. I was on meds for about 18 months getting my thyroid regulated, and have been fine ever since. Well, re the thyroid anyway...

good luck and keep us posted!
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am recovering from Thyroid cancer and must take thyroid medications for the rest of my life (Had to have my thyroid removed).
    Since I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia, my rheumy attributed my problem to both conditions.
    However, you should be aware that people with one auto-immune disease (such as diabetes) are more prone to develop others. . For example, people with diabetes are more likely than the general population to get rheumatoid arthritis or thyroid diseases.

I do not want you to have Lupus, but I also do not want you to not get proper treatment because your doctors have dismissed Lupus. Therefore, it is important for you to know that this same thing can happen to people with Lupus. 1 in 10 patients with lupus suffer with thyroid problems. This is where, because of Lupus, the body attacks the thyroid gland that controls the body's metabolism. The thyroid gland can either become underactive or overactive. If the gland is overactive, it can cause sweating, anxiety, shaking, heart pounding and weight loss/ if underactive the skin becomes dry, weight gain is a problem and you can slow down mentally. Sometimes the thyroid gland can become swollen.

A thyroid problem (even thyroid cancer) is easily detected with a simple blood test. It is also quite easily treated with medication and/or surgery.
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saysusie View Post
    I am recovering from Thyroid cancer and must take thyroid medications for the rest of my life (Had to have my thyroid removed).
    Since I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia, my rheumy attributed my problem to both conditions.
    However, you should be aware that people with one auto-immune disease (such as diabetes) are more prone to develop others. . For example, people with diabetes are more likely than the general population to get rheumatoid arthritis or thyroid diseases.

I do not want you to have Lupus, but I also do not want you to not get proper treatment because your doctors have dismissed Lupus. Therefore, it is important for you to know that this same thing can happen to people with Lupus. 1 in 10 patients with lupus suffer with thyroid problems. This is where, because of Lupus, the body attacks the thyroid gland that controls the body's metabolism. The thyroid gland can either become underactive or overactive. If the gland is overactive, it can cause sweating, anxiety, shaking, heart pounding and weight loss/ if underactive the skin becomes dry, weight gain is a problem and you can slow down mentally. Sometimes the thyroid gland can become swollen.

A thyroid problem (even thyroid cancer) is easily detected with a simple blood test. It is also quite easily treated with medication and/or surgery.

Thank you so much! I agree...having been through all kinds of stuff over the years and having everything wrong with me be immediately attributed to being diabetic or being overweight, I am always looking for answers. My rheumy says she will not give up the fight and will continue to look for the problem but wanted me to have my endo check out the thyroid issue since my tsh was so low, I think (have to look at the paper) it was 0.066 or something like that. Four years or so ago I asked my primary at the time to ccheck my thyroid b/c I felt it had to be a thryoid issue and at that time I was normal. So a lot has changed since having my son.

I do think I have lupus, just not enough diagnostic criteria. I think basically (in my humble opinion LOL!) that my immune system is WHACKED (my official nursing word LOL) but seriously I think my immune system is confused - it attacked my pancreas 20 years ago causing diabetes (my docs back then were not sure the cause but felt it was a viral attack or autoimmune) now a days docs seem to be seeing that juvenille diabetes can be related to auto immune attacks. Anywhoo so I have that part, then the hives I get, then the joint pain, the fatigue, the bruising, the sleeplessness, the anxiety, the etc. etc. I really do think my immune system is attacking my body...does that make sense?

Thank you for that input, it is a good reminder that I need to continue to fight the fight and find the answers. ((HUGS))
    Amy
    Mommy to a cute little three year old.
    I am a Juvenile Diabetic diagnosed at age 12, Positive ANA, arthritic joint pain, extreme fatigue, cannot take prednisone and am allergic to Plaquenil. Undifferentiated connective tissue disorder, Graves disease and fibromyalgia

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

It absolutely does make sense and, yes, continue to fight the fight and demand answers. Do not let any doctor dismiss you or your symptoms. YOU are the only one who really knows your body and, therefore, knows when something is not right!
    Hang in there, we are here to help you fight!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Sending you gentle hugs and i am thinking of you.

Love
    Angel.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx