Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'll be missing for a few days...

Thanks

Smile I'll be missing for a few days...

Hi Everyone....

Just wanted to let you know I'll be missing for a few days...our Japanese exchange student arrives tomorrow afternoon. We'll be picking her up from the airport around 3 pm.

I've got a few last minute things to do tomorrow morning, so won't be online...but I'll check in here and there over the next few days when I get a moment. I'll miss you guys...I've come to value all of your support and kind words...I feel like I have friends now!

We're all getting very excited!! My son is so excited he can hardly stand it. This is going to be one of the coolest things I think I've ever done. I am so glad my son talked me into it. So...the house is ready...her bedroom is lovely, all bright pinks and oranges...I bought a beautiful bunch of daffodils and put them in a vase on her dresser and some lovely scented candles on her nightstand...the only thing left to do is wrap her 'welcome' present tonight. Friday night all the host families and visiting students are getting together for an 'American BBQ' potluck.

Everyone take care of yourselves...you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Most Fondly,

Lori

Thanks

Hey Lori,
    I hope this exchange student brings with her the culture and excitement that your family is dreaming of and that you all can be the same to her.
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hooray hooray,

have a blast, and enjoy your new house guest. i will be thinking of the fun you are having....i can't believe the day is already here.

phyllis
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

It sounds wonderful and I am loving the excitement I can feel in your posts. Enjoy every single moment and, while we will miss you, I am happy that you will be away because of something so joyous

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Dear Say Susie:

Enjoy!!!

Thanks

What an exciting time for your family, Lori. This will be an experience the entire family will recall-especially your son.

Your guest room sounds lovely! When your guest leaves, can I come visit?

We'll miss you while you're "away" but will love hearing all about it upon your return.
    Last edited by BonusMom; 03-12-2009 at 08:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Oh what memories will be made...such excitement. You wont see us all in person...but we will be there right with you to greet her.You enjoy Lori and you will be missed..

Love
    Angel.xxx
    Last edited by Angel Oliver; 03-12-2009 at 06:09 PM.
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Smile

Hi Lori!!!!!

The time for some communication challenges is here!! What a neat experience!!! Im really happy for you and your family!

Have Fun!!!!!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Thanks

Default Hello Everyone!!

Just popped in to say hi and give a quick update.

First, a Thank You to each of you for your encouragement...Lucky7, Angel, BonusMom, Drinkofwtr, Saysusie, Mountaindreamer, Sickntired....

We are having so much fun with our Japanese guest, Hatsumi. She is the sweetest, most polite girl....she almost cried when I showed her bedroom to her. She took a bunch of pictures of it to show her Mother.

This whole experience has been amazing so far...the first evening after we got home from the airport, we gave her a tour of our house...she kept saying "So Big", and she was absolutely amazed at my pantry and all the food we had. She took pictures of the pantry too.

Boy were you right, Lucky7, the communication has been a little slow going....but we're all catching on. She smiles a lot, says OK and gives the thumbs up sign. The first night we took her to a Shari's restaurant, and boy was I glad the menu had pictures. We were struggling to explain what rye bread was, and all of a sudden she reached in her purse and pulled out an electronic translator and handed it to us. We typed in 'rye bread' and it popped up in Japanese. She smiled, said OK and order a Deli Bistro Sandwich with Ham and Turkey. It was all good!!

Oh and Cooper, our golden retriever absolutely adores her...and she loves him...from the moment she stepped in the door and gave him a belly rub, he's been by her side. He follows her around the house, and this morning I was letting her sleep in kind of late to catch up on her sleep, and I caught Cooper sneaking up the stairs just about to push her door open and wake her. I grabbed him just in time.

Today, we met up with a few of the other host students and their Japanese guests and we went to Portland Saturday Market. It's an awesome Artists Market in downtown Portland with tons of local artists and food booths. We had elephant ears, bought handmade hammered copper earrings and then took the girls to a few stores in downtown...The Gap, American Eagle, Forever 21, and of course, a candy store with giant lollipops and we rode the MAX lightrail train. They really liked that.

Last, I thought I'd share that Hatsumi brought gifts for each of us in the family...she gave us lovely handmade soup bowls from Japan and special chopsticks for each of us. Then she pulled out a bag with all kinds of food and snacks from Japan and shared that she is going to make us Miso soup one evening for dinner. I can't wait!!

I'll return and post a bit more over the next week...kinda tired now, we spent 4 hours shopping. We'll be taking it easy this evening...watching her favorite movie....Titanic....on the big screen.

Take care, all of you...

Fondly,

Lori

p.s. It's raining today in Portland, so I must put up my umbrella....

Thanks

Oh my goodness, Rastagirl,

That sounds like a great cultural experience...Miso soup is my favorite. I heard that it is good for you. Will she have tofu in it, I wonder?

So, how long will she be here? Is it just for Spring break or the rest of the school year.

One of my 16 yr old daughter's best friends this year is an exchange student from Korea...she and my 15 year old are learning so much from gi su...

You don't want to overdo it too much so get some good sleep tonight...
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost