Thread: Help

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Help

Hello to all,
    I am a self employed Mother of 5 and new to this site, a friend has found it for me.
    I have been diagnost with discoid lupus right before Christmas by a biopsy a dermatoligist preformed. I have been just learning about this disease. My dermatoligist says I should find a physician because he's a dermatoligist not a physician. I have started a search for one and am hearing different things, such as- You need a roomatoligist or a dermotoligist.... I need to gain more knowledge and get a handle on this. All I know is what Ive read on the internet and the little my dermatoligist has told me. Can anyone tell me which way to turn?
    Thank You,
    Terri

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Help

Terri;
    Yes, you need either an Internal Medicine physician or a rheumatologist. Make sure that your doctor is aware of and knowledgable about Lupus! Also, your doctor should be one whom you can rely on for both crisis management and continuing treatment and support. To find a good rheumatologist, you can contact your nearest medical school or teaching hospital and ask for several recommendations or contact your local chapter of the Lupus Foundation or the Arthritis Foundation. Your doctor should be patient and willing to answer any and all of your questions. Write down your questions, symptoms and fears and take them with you during each visit. Learn as much as you can about the disease, the medications, treatments and prognosis.
    There is a brief explanation of Discoidal Lupus on the home page of this site. If you need more information about it, just let me know.
    Keep me posted and let me know how the search goes.
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Help

Thank You! I had a feeling it should be a Rhemotoligist. The more I read the better right now. I have also just received a email that there is a lupus organization called the Lupus Alliance,Hudson Valley NY Affiliate located in White Plains, NY. That's a little closet yet. I have sent them an email and hope for a reply today. I appreciate the time you've taken.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Help

Terri; Did you get a reply from your e-mail? Was it helpful?

Saysusie

Thanks

Default Help

Yes I did, yesd helpful. How do I know who is answering? Like with what kind of background if any in medical field? Or is it someone with lupus? How to know?

Thank Again

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Help

Terri
    Just ask them - "Are you in the medical field or are you a Lupus Patient?" they should be more than willing to answer.
    Best of Luck
    Saysusie
    PS
    I am not a doctor nor am I in the medical field - I am a Lupus patient :-)