Thread: Myasthenia Gravis and Lupus

Thanks

Default Myasthenia Gravis and Lupus

Hello,
    I'm new to this site. I've been reading some of the threads and everyone here seems really nice. I'm happy to have found it.

I was wondering specifically if any of you have Myasthenia Gravis also. So?

I live in Fort Worth and have had MG for 14 years, Fibromyalgia for close to ten, osteoarthritis and possibly CPDD, undiagnosed Lupus for some amount of time until the last few months.
    It looks like I'm not the only one with a list.

I've never really taken part regularly in a support group, in person or online.
    I hope I can at some time help make some of you here feel supported.

I'll be reading more posts and poking around.
    I'd be happy to chat with anyone.

-Bridget/Freckles

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

HI Bridget and welcome,

Glad you found us all and look forward to chatting to you.

Gentle hugs
    Angel.xxx

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi bridget,

i responded to another of your posts...anyway, just want to make sure you know that we are happy you found us, and I hope this membership can help you find ways to feel better.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've never experienced or known anyone with Myasthenia Gravis. However, here is some information about the condition to help you to understand it a bit better.
    Myasthenia Gravis causes muscle weakness that becomes significantly worse with activity. Double vision, swallowing and speaking abnormalities, difficulty walking and using the arms are common symptoms. Patients may also have impotence, constipation, impaired sweating, blurred vision and difficulties with urination. Like Lupus, Myasthenia Gravis is an autoimmune disease.
    There is no clear link between chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia and MG. Chronic fatigue syndrome is characterized by a set of symptoms that may have many causes (that is why it is called a syndrome). Although both conditions plague patients with fatigue, MG causes muscle fatigue that can be identified objectively by specific muscle tests, such as an EMG.
    Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) is a complicated autoimmune condition that may affect the nervous system in many different ways. MG and Lupus can occur in the same patient (over-lapping/co-existing diseases). Myasthenia Gravis produces weakness while Lupus produces any combination of joint pain and swelling, rash, kidney problems, eye and brain abnormalities, and others. There are some blood tests that are specific to confirming the diagnosis of Lupus. Lupus and myasthenia gravis (MG) show are similar, in that they occur mainly in young women, both have periods of relapse and remission, and both will have positive antinuclear antibodies (ANA) and thymus hyperplasia. The co-existence of Lupus and MG occurs frequently. Thymectomy ( removal of the thymus gland. It usually results in remission of myasthenia gravis, with the help of medication including steroids. However, this remission may not be permanent) is a common treatment of MG. Other systemic autoimmune disorders have also been detected in MG patients several years after thymectomy.
    Myasthenia gravis (MG) is a chronic autoimmune disorder that results in progressive skeletal muscle weakness. Skeletal muscles are primarily muscle fibers that contain bands or striations (striated muscles) that are connected to bone. MG causes rapid fatigue (fatigability) and loss of strength upon exertion, but this usually improves after rest. Acetylcholine (ACh) is a neurotransmitter that is involved in the transfer of information to muscle tissue. In myasthenia gravis, cells that bind to other cells to neutralize or destroy them (called antibodies) destroy acetylcholine receptor sites (AChR) in areas of muscle tissue that receive nerve impulses (called neuromuscular junctions), preventing nerve impulses from reaching the muscles. This results in weakness and rapid fatigue in affected muscles.
    Myasthenia gravis can be classified according to which skeletal muscles are affected. Within a year of onset, approximately 8590% of patients develop generalized myasthenia gravis, which is characterized by weakness in the trunk, arms, and legs.
    About 1015% of patients have weakness only in muscles that control eye movement. This type is called ocular myasthenia gravis.
    Other types of MG include congenital, which is an inherited condition caused by a genetic defect, and transient neonatal, which occurs in infants born to mothers who have MG. Congenital MG develops at or shortly after birth and causes generalized symptoms.
    As I mentioned before, MG may be associated with other autoimmune diseases. Patients with family members who suffer from disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, and lupus may have an increased risk for myasthenia gravis.

I hope that this was helpful
    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!