Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did u know that.......

Currently still in Weston Village, Runcorn, United Kindom
    Thanks

Default Did u know that.......

Only about 30% of Lupus patients have the classical 'butterfly' rash that is associated with lupus.

I sure didnít until I saw it a few times doing some research 2day....
    Just thought I share this fact with u all..

TJ
    The worse the bad times are the more we appreciate the good things in life..

Thanks

Interesting that only 30% have this "classic" feature of SLE.

I have not had the butterfly rash on my face, but I do have bilateral pigmentation darkening on both sides of my neck in exactly the same spot/same shape.

I did have a rash on my ankle that lasted a few days, but it didn't weep, itch or anything.

Perhaps that's part of why I'm still in denial--I haven't had any of the supposed classic signs of SLE. I know I should count my blessings, but it makes me doubt the diagnosis at times.

Thanks

I only had that butterfly rash over my cheeks and nose in the very beginning. Probably the first year or two. Then is disappeared...never to return. Not to say I didn't have plenty of other weird rashes in strange places. But I don't recall ever seeing the distinct butterfly one since then. Interesting...only 30%...seems like it would be more. Lots of people I've talked to have experienced it.

What a strange, strange disease...Lupus. What in the world went wrong in our ancestor's genes to bring this out in so many people. If it even is our genes. Makes me wonder sometimes if this all came about when our ancestors were exposed to maybe...radiation...or something in our environment that mutated genes. I feel like I'm plagued with autoimmune disorders from both my mom's and dad's sides of the family. My mom's side has Lupus and Crohn's disease and my dad's has thyroid conditions like Hashimoto's. Guess I was doomed by the family I was born into. Oh well, at least they're all kind, considerate people with good hearts.

Sorry to ramble on and highjack your post, Toby. This was about butterfly rashes, right?

Lori

Thanks

That makes me think Rastagirl I have now seen crohns mentioned a few times in association with Lupus...

I have Ulcerative colitis myself and we have colitis, crohns, rheumatoid and arthritis running in my mom's family..

MMMM makes me wonder if it is related...

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Hi everyone i need to ask you all something on this subject.

Whilst i was in Florida in 2000 and 2001 (ok im bragging here about my holiday too lol ) it was so hot. Obviously coming from the UK i was not prepared for the humidity and the heat but i did wear high factor sun block.
    Well, after a week there....my cheeks had this rash and my face ballooned. My eye actually nearly dissapeared and i was embarrassed. It was a butterfly rash i think brought on by the sun. Ive never really thought of it until now.

Over the last couple of years i have noticed on both sides of my neck...like frankinstein....a patch of dark pigmentation, i have even tried to wash it off until i realised it wont go away its on my skin.
    More recently i have noticed on both cheeks, dark pigmentation and on the top inside on my nose...a red light rash.
    It is not like in the photos i have seen on here, but it is like a butterfly but dark and i am fairy light skinned....oh except for when the fake tan comes out. This rash the dark rash is always there and sometimes gets worse.

Is this the same rash? I am 39....not that age makes a difference?

Love
    Angel.xxxx

Thanks

yeh that is to do with Lupus sometimes only a red rash or colour change on the face appear other than the famous butterfly rash

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I've never had the butterfly rash on my face ever. Not once. Quite often I hear folks talk about seeing a rheumo who says "Oh, it can't be Lupus" because the person has never had a rash on their face. Maybe some of these rheumo's should follow you example Toby, they might learn something.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Oh how interesting.Thanks. Even the neck thing?

Thanks

Wow this is interesting because i have a dark patch on my neck, on both sides in exactly the same place
    Is this something to do with Lupus then because my Rheumy said it was chloasma ??
    Lov Sarah xx
    Lupus/Sjogren's, Hughes Syndrome, Chloasma, Livedo !

Medications : Plaquenil, Aspirin, Omeprazole, Co-codamol, Tramadol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
    Wow this is interesting because i have a dark patch on my neck, on both sides in exactly the same place
    Is this something to do with Lupus then because my Rheumy said it was chloasma ??
    Lov Sarah xx
    Interesting, Sarah and Angel, about the dark areas on the neck. Mine are a bit below the jaw and they look like the bottom part of the butterfly (always believed this even before SLE dx) in that they go down to a gentle point (hair and makeup hide it--but especially noticeable without my "face" on). My rheumy was interested when I pointed the areas out, but didn't say anything specific about the cause.

Because I was taking birth control pills up until the mid-90's, I thought the darker areas of my skin were related to the meds (the so-called pregnancy mask). I had a couple of areas of darker pigmentation on my face too. Those went away when I stopped birth control pills. The ones on the neck didn't.
    Last edited by BonusMom; 03-08-2009 at 11:44 AM.