Thread: Flares

Thanks

Default Flares

Does anyone flare up over the winter months say from maybe Sept thru February or March?
    I ask becaUSE LAST YEAR AT THIS TIME i STARTED TO FEEL BETTER..whoops sorry no yelling I forgot.....it didnt last long due to several falls down stairs and some stressful situations.But anyway do you notice a pattern wirth your flares.
    Is it even legit to say there are patterns? Maybe they just come willy-nilly.
    K
    Kasey
    aka SuperNoodle

I am a Lupie Lethologica Goofy Groupie

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

Wife to my HubbyMan and Mom to a Multitude! Lovin' my sweet pup Ellie!
    Come visit our new store, www.hayleystreasures.com

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I don't notice "flares" because it seems I am always having problems. I feel like I am in one, big, continous "flare" that never ends. I try not to let it get me down though and I think I do a pretty good job of it. I am usually in pretty good spirits, although I do complain about the lupus and its effects, especially on this website. Believe it or not, people think I have a "pollyanna" attitude.

Thanks

Hi Kasey...

After going through a few years of flares, I did start to see a bit of a pattern, for me at least. I definitely had more flares during the fall/winter months because of all the colds, flus, and viruses going around then. It always seemed like once I'd get exposed to the stuff, I would have more problems with my Lupus....especially when my kids were little, like preschool/kindergarten age. They always seemed to have what was going around. I used to come to despise those months because as soon as the kids got back into school, all the sicknesses would start again. Then I started getting my flu shot every fall and I didn't notice a big difference right away, but after doing it for 2 or 3 years, I have noticed that I don't pick up as many viruses or colds. When my kids catch something, I might have a day where I feel like I'm going to get it....tiny sore throat...a little achey....and then the next day I'm fine. I can't say for sure it's the flu shot that is helping, but it sure doesn't hurt.

And after all these years with Lupus, the only other thing that I am certain affects flares, or causes them, (besides the sun) is STRESS. I can think back to all my major flareups and pinpoint some major stress going on in my life right then that, I believe, triggered it. After enough years of this, I finally caught on, and now I avoid major stress as much as I possibly can. I know we can't get rid of all the stress in our lives, that it's a fact of everyone's life, but I changed some things in my life, like stopping working outside the home, and looking for simple things in my daily life that help me take a break from stress. I also recognized that one huge stress for me is finances. So I totally gave that to my husband to deal with. I don't like having to worry about it, or even deal with it. He brings home the paycheck, takes care of the budget, and I just pay the bills he tells me and occasionally do the banking. Oh, and I spend the money he tells me we have to spend!

Sorry, didn't mean this to get so long. I just started typing and it call came pouring out. Did I actually answer your question? Oh yeah...and sometimes the flares just have a mind of their own and they come willy-nilly.

Happy Saturday...........

Lori

Thanks

Me? I too feel like I am in perpetual flare...for the last two years. Worse months..I have notice after I returned from my UP vacation in early November I have been in a downward spiral. I haven't had a cold, flu bug or the like in almost two decades. Weird, eh? So, for me it isn't from colds and etc.

Hoping after I set my clock tonight...getting ready for spring...boing...the flair without my Stilettos will tame and it is season related..What a wonderful thing to look forward too, then living with Lupus wouldn't be so ugly.

L.
    O.
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

I was diagnosed 16 months ago. I have not had really much of a break in my symptoms except for last spring. We were getting ready to move. The weather was getting warmer. I did a good job then of staying out of the sun or covering up when in the sun after I got a bad rash from sun exposure. The end of May came and we moved. I was feeling pretty good. I would have some pain but rest, sleep, pain meds and a pain cream helped. Then some severe stress situations happened and we had to cut our vacation short. I was stressed but worked out my sress by doing yard work. I was in the sun and really didnt protect myself at all. I put sunscreen on but didnt wear my hat or SPF coverup. I began to have trouble with the stairs. Walking up and down became difficult and dangerous. I was falling down the stairs alot. Then I had surgery in July and we moved the beginning of August just a week after surgery. I did virtually nothing to help move. I did clean the old house tho. Getting settled took quite a long time due to pain and exhaustion. The fall and winter months were very hard. I had several new issues with lupus come up.

I have to take a break but will come back to finish this post later. My brain has been taxed to its limit right now.

Kasey
    Kasey
    aka SuperNoodle

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Kasey,

I was diagnosed five years ago. I've never had any significant time period without flare. Like Oluwa, I seem to be in a perpetual flare. It eases up about every three days, and becomes tolerable. Then I have three days of hell, and it all starts over again. My pattern is three days off, three days on.

Rob

PS-I like your new official title "SuperNoodle"

Thanks

I am back to finish my thoughts.

I have been since August or September in what Rob and Oluwa call a perpetual flare with no breaks really. Maybe half a day here half a day there. While I say that I am feeling better I really have to protect myself as I will over do it when I am feeling better. Especially now that we have moved and so much needs to be done.
    I am not sure that I will ever make it back to any type of "better". Most likely I will be battling some sort of issue be it pain, exhaustion, lack of stamia, skin issues, headaches, achey muscles and swollen joints, scalp sores and sheer exhaustion for the rest of my life.
    I was just hoping I guess that if with the showers that Spring brings it would also bring wellness for me and others.

Kasey
    Kasey
    aka SuperNoodle

Thanks

Like the others are saying...my "flare" seems to be ongoing...it gets worse at times, but I never have seen it go away....

I think your theory of cyclical flares, however, sounds plausable for those who actually feel like they are in remission..
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Wink kasey

i also feel like i am always in a flare, but when i have some major stress going on its worse. so i go for short walks and practice yoga they seem to help with the stress. we can'f avoid stress but can learn to deal with it better. i do feel on the days that i have no stress that day and the next are great. when i have stressfull day the next day feel like crap. so i think our bodies react to the stress. so try to have happy thoughts

Thanks

Smile little better in cold weather

I usually feel better, breathing wise. I feel like I can get a full breath during cold weather. When its hot and i'm in Texas so I mean hot! I get flares very frequent. I'm short of breath, flu feeling 10 times worse, fatigue 10 times more ect.... So for me yes winter weather makes me feel some what better.
    Sorry i'm not home pain! and don't leave message I am not calling u back!

Lupus,Fibromyalgia,Hypertension, Sjogrens,Raynauds,

Macular degeneration,Depression,Arthritis