Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disability benefits and VA

Thanks

Default Disability benefits and VA

I have run into major problems with the VA on a different health issue and not wanting the aggravation in my life I am not pursuing it. Just asking question I got my tail chewed out, door slammed in my face and one VA service rep said come back in a year.

I only have VA for medical no insurance.

My question is has anyone with Lupus gotten anywhere with VA disability. I just don't know where else to ask.

Take care all
    David

Blog Entries
    Thanks

wow Grime,

i am so sorry that you are having to deal with the VA..../. you don't need extra aggravations. It is such a shame that we can not give our vets better care.

Hopefully Rob will be along and can give some guidance.

take care, hope you sleep good tonight.

phyllis
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Smile

Hi David...

That's absolutely appalling....If really pisses me off that our Veterans are treated that way....for asking a question? That guy (or gal) should be ashamed of themself.

I'm really sorry you have to endure that. NOBODY deserves to be treated that way, especially our honored VETERANS!

I'm sorry I'm not able to help with your question, but I do want to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your service to your Country. I truly appreciate it! If I worked at the VA in any capacity, I would treat every single Veteran with respect and appreciation. They deserve nothing less.

Most Fondly,

Lori

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi David,

Although I am a veteran, I am on full Social Security Disability. Since I live in Maine, I use "Mainecare", basically it's free healthcare for anyone meeting the criteria, and it's a pretty good system, so I'm good to go for disability benefits, and healthcare. I've never pursued any VA benefits because I feel my needs are being met with the SSI and MC, so I don't have any experience dealing with the VA personally.

I have a sister who is the admin at the Maine State Veterans Hospital here, and she's done alot to reform and improve the VA Hospital system here in our state. I would be happy to ask her for advice on your behalf if you want. I think it's way out of line to treat a Vietnam Veteran such as yourself with rudeness like you are some raw recruit back in basic training. Those VA officials are there to work for you, not the other way around. I'll be happy to help you with any info or advice I can.

Rob

P.S. How's the weather down your way? Been out sailing?

Thanks

Thank you ladies for your concerns.

Rob if it would not be to much trouble and sometime when your sister is around, you asked her about Lupus and VA disability that would be great. I did email McCain about it. No reply as of yet. Its not about the money. Sure I could really use it. Nothing can make up for the last 40 years. It about not being just a number in the system. Each VA hospital or clinic have different policies. Up in Kerrville, years ago, I walked in not feeling good and got a full physical. It took me, in Victoria, 2 months just to get an appointment then 6 months to see a dermatologist. Now I'm waiting on getting a remotoligy (sp) appointment. Might be another 6 months before I get one. All they have me on is Desonide for my face/hands and Triamcinolone Acetonide for my body.

We had 40 mph winds Saturday and they have been to high to go out since. Blew all the water out of the marina. Really waiting until I get the bimini built before we take Miss Froggy out again. Should have all the parts and finished by Saturday evening. Install Sunday. We did have plans to go out yesterday on a 41' Tatran. Not enough water to get out of the slip. She was sitting on her bottom. I did spend a couple of hours visiting with the owner. He is very concerned about my Lupus. So I don't mind not taking of my sunglasses. I have always felt it rude to talk to someone with them on. Its hard not walking the beach with Lisa and the dogs looking for shells. I sit under a cover and watch them. Better than nothing.

Have a great day,
    David

Thanks

Hi Grime I am a Vet also...activity duty, not during war time...

I would like to say welcome to this safe, understanding informative place in space..hugs...

Do you have discoid Lupus? Is that the reason for the two steroid creams? For the malar rash? I was just on a 6 month round of steroid creams..undiagnosed rashes. I self diagnosed as Dermatitis Herpeteformis

Be really careful with those steroid creams..times they can do more damage by burning the skin. Dry it out, turning it into leather...red flaky and dry...

Even though the ones you have been prescribed are low mild ones, one step higher than the OTC ones... continual use can cause side effects just as well as the oral dosing of steroids. Affecting the adrenal gland....

Do you use alot? All over and for how long?

Regarding your experience at the VA Hospital have you contacted the Patient Advocacy Program....

From... http://www1.va.gov/health/index.asp

A Patient Advocacy Program is in place at each VA health care facility to ensure that your concerns are addressed in a convenient and timely manner.

Patient Advocates are highly trained professionals who help resolve your concerns about any aspect of your health care experience, particularly those concerns that cannot be resolved at the point of care. Each Patient Advocate is empowered to ensure that you receive the maximum benefits you are entitled to by law.

Patient Advocates act as VA representatives to listen to any questions, problems, or special needs you may have. They will refer your concerns to the appropriate Medical Center staff for resolution and act on your behalf to assist in explaining your point of view. Patient Advocates can be reached through the nursing or support staff in any clinical area.

Again welcome to wehavelupus....

Keep looking for your wellness....don't give up.

Hugs..be well,
    Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Hi Oluwa,
    Another vet told me about the PA other wise I would have never known about them. It took me 5 phone calls the to PA to get the dermatology appointment. The doctor I saw was very caring and did the required test. She did call me to let me know the diagnoses. I didn't get much other information out of her other than use the creams twice daily and she would see me in 2 months. I have had to learn about Lupus online. I use a small amount on my hands twice daily same with the body cream. All she really told me was to use sunscreen and big hat when out in the sun. She only has 2 others that she is treating for Lupus.

Some days the cream seem to not be working other days it looks like things are starting to clear up.

I'm not to worried about my skin turning to leather my hands have always looked like leather. I am concerned about the side effects of the steroids tho.

My son and I have talked about me giving him full guardianship that way I can go to any doctor as a military dependent. He is career army. Off to school in Kentucky right now.

Oluwa, Thanks you for servicing.

Take care,
    David

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi david,

so sorry about your situation, but so thankful for all of the incredible advice you have been given here. I just want to say congratulations on your relationship with your son....guardianship assignment is such a difficult place to go, but thank goodness that you have this relationship that allows you to consider this option. The more advocates we have, the easier this fight is.

phyllis
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Hi Phyllis,
    Its a very long story. He was a gift from God to me. We have a relationship that most fathers and sons only dream about. I do have other children they are nothing like Ty. He is one of a kind.

I can not say enough how thankful I am for this forum. As I read through the different threads I realize how lucky I am to be of my age and just now getting Lupus. Many time I have to turn away from the computer because my heart aches for all those with Lupus. There is nothing I can do to help them. Sorry. Gotta go.

David

Currently still in Weston Village, Runcorn, United Kindom
    Thanks

hey I am in hte UK so can't give u advice but thought I just give u the heads up..

Same rubbish here can't get nothing at the moment....

good luck mate...
    The worse the bad times are the more we appreciate the good things in life..