Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The gift of faith

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi silentscream,

Finding "a spiritual connection within yourself" is where you can find the strength to accept that which you can not change, and where you will find some peace while struggling with the turmoil of your daughter's pain.

I can find this connection within myself by simply sitting in the mountains and engulfing the gift of beautiful nature. Finding your own inner connection will help you stand strong next to your daughter. You will remain strong even during times when she must lean on you.....

I can't provide any logistic debate about the practicality of inner connection. It comes from our core, our soul. It is personal, and it is what keeps us from being beaten down during the trials of life.

keep searching our friend,,,,,you are obviously an amazing dad.

phyllis
    Phyllis

share a smile today

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silentscream View Post

I am no longer in the business of changing minds just wish I had that faith.
    After being away for church (12 years of Catholic School) I find myself walking into church, I was driving down the road yesterday and there was a statue of the virgin Mary outside a Church surrounded my flowers and a wood bench to pray.
    I made a u-turn and sat there, talking to a statue and making every deal, offer, negotiation I could think of. "If you save my kid, I'll do this or that...

I wish I had the faith. I wish sins of the father were not passed to the innocent.
    I'm very much like you. I am not a religious person at all. I suppose you could consider me an athiest. I know many athiests actively push religion away, and want nothing to do with it. I find myself wanting that faith that I see so many other people taking comfort in. I want to believe in a higher power. I mentioned before that I say prayers for my friends who are in need. I don't know who or what might be listening, but saying the prayers is a form of faith I think. I don't know what I believe, I haven't "seen the light" or had some miraculous conversion, I find my thoughts and beliefs changing just a little at a time. Maybe that's how it happens for some people.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

After reading this thread, feeling the pain, I wasn't even sure how I could express my faith that would give someone peace, so please forgive me if I do not succede in that.

I do not have to reject science in order to embrace an Intelligent Creator. Science leads me there. But that's a whole nother subject.

When I came to a place in my life, a place near death, I surrendered my soul to Jesus because He came for me. Then HE did all the work. It was as if two countries were at war and it would never come to an end until one side surrendered to the other. The Creator does not surrender to His creation, it has to be the other way around.

Jesus is called the Good Shepherd because He will never lose his sheep. When they run away from Him as sheep will sometimes do, He will risk His life to fight our greatest enemy and bring us home. Sometimes in this crazy world it is hard to see or hear Him but He is here in the face of every suffering child, every mourning mother for her child, every victim of persecution.

On suffering; if I see my life as if this is all there is, then yes my suffering seems unfair. When I see my life on earth as but the blink of an eye compared to eternity on the other side, then suffering is now in its proper perspective. This is not easy to accept but for me, suffering and adversity has changed me. If I can leave the bitterness behind, suffering teaches empathy, sincerity, authenticity, that can deepen who I am. In the book of Job it tells of a man's terrible suffering. People talked smack to him and about him. His faith was so strong he said these words; though He slay me, yet will I trust him.

I have lost faith in religion, in mankind, in my friends and family. I have suffered terrible things no woman should ever suffer, but my faith in God is unshakable. After I surrendered to Him, He then revealed more and more of himself to me. He guides me and comforts me in ways words can not describe.

Wishing you peace,

Ayah

Thanks

Smile

Ayah...well spoken and my sentiments exactly.
    I, too, have lost faith in 'religion' and the hypocrisy of many churches but my hope and faith in Jesus Christ remains firm. Nice to meet you, sister...(if I knew where the "more" button is I would now post a large smiley face)
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Thanks

Look at that all I did was make a typical smiley face on the post and a smiley came up...cool....;-0 (trying something different) ;-)
    I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.......Robert Frost

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sick n tired View Post
    I, too, have lost faith in 'religion' and the hypocrisy of many churches but my hope and faith in Jesus Christ remains firm. Nice to meet you, sister...(if I knew where the "more" button is I would now post a large smiley face)
    LOL best chuckle I've had all day! Ok here goes : ) : (

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sick n tired View Post
    Nice to know you too my sister.

I was clicking through "Christian" TV today and was so turned off. It disgusted me, "send us your love offering", "I'm wealthy and successful you should imitate me", then chanting, ...There are a few TV evangelists I would give my attention to. I have a measuring stick I use to decide if a church is valid or not: what charity do they have? How many hungry people do they feed? How many widows and orphans do they care for? Do they advertise how great they are? Or do they serve the community with a humble heart? If they have no charity they are dysfunctional and invalid.

The gospel message is a simple one; Matthew 25 :37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

It's all about the love, and love gives hope.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AyahsClan View Post
    After reading this thread, feeling the pain, I wasn't even sure how I could express my faith that would give someone peace, so please forgive me if I do not succede in that.

I do not have to reject science in order to embrace an Intelligent Creator. Science leads me there. But that's a whole nother subject.

When I came to a place in my life, a place near death, I surrendered my soul to Jesus because He came for me. Then HE did all the work. It was as if two countries were at war and it would never come to an end until one side surrendered to the other. The Creator does not surrender to His creation, it has to be the other way around.

Jesus is called the Good Shepherd because He will never lose his sheep. When they run away from Him as sheep will sometimes do, He will risk His life to fight our greatest enemy and bring us home. Sometimes in this crazy world it is hard to see or hear Him but He is here in the face of every suffering child, every mourning mother for her child, every victim of persecution.

On suffering; if I see my life as if this is all there is, then yes my suffering seems unfair. When I see my life on earth as but the blink of an eye compared to eternity on the other side, then suffering is now in its proper perspective. This is not easy to accept but for me, suffering and adversity has changed me. If I can leave the bitterness behind, suffering teaches empathy, sincerity, authenticity, that can deepen who I am. In the book of Job it tells of a man's terrible suffering. People talked smack to him and about him. His faith was so strong he said these words; though He slay me, yet will I trust him.

I have lost faith in religion, in mankind, in my friends and family. I have suffered terrible things no woman should ever suffer, but my faith in God is unshakable. After I surrendered to Him, He then revealed more and more of himself to me. He guides me and comforts me in ways words can not describe.

Wishing you peace,

Ayah
    Ayah, bless you for these words of wisdom and truth.

Thanks

I'm coming back to this thread because at first, I couldn't formulate the words I had to try to express my beliefs.

I'm what you might call a newer Christian...so not strongly confident in sharing how I came to my faith, mostly because I'm nonconfrontational and get very uncomfortable when my faith is challenged. I just don't like to argue. I know what I believe...and I believe very strongly that this life on earth, with the suffering and injustice is not all there is, it can't be, or else how do any of us have any hope at all as we go through our lives. It used to scare me to think that once you died, that it was all over...the end...nothing more. I was so afraid of dying. But as I came to my faith in God, slowly, little by little, I finally understood faith, and exactly who God is and what He has done for me. And what He offers me when my time on earth is over.

So when I read a few of your responses, about "'maybe that's the way it comes to you, a little at a time....." that hit home for me. That's exactly the way it was for me. You see, I believe, that God has put a special place in each of our heart's that can only be filled by Him. He made us that way....and that's why we feel empty and hopeless, when we do not have Him in our life. We may search for other things to fill that need, things that are earthly, but we will never be satisfied by them. We will never have our deep desire to be loved totally and unconditionally by any person or thing on this earth, because God is the only one that can do it. So, I believe He draws us to Him...a little bit at a time...sometimes over years...sometimes over an entire lifetime. And he does it by our experiences and by the people that cross our paths.

I personally got scared and ran away from Him many times, but something in my heart kept making me stop and turn around and take a look again. When I was first diagnosed with Lupus, at 18, my world turned upside down, felt like my foundation had been pulled right out from under me. But I grew up without religion in my life, we didn't go to church. My parents allowed me to explore churches that my friends went to, so the seed was planted. But exploring the different religions, mormon, catholic, jewish, etc. had me hearing all different kinds of messages. So I just got more confused. I had no foundation. And no one I trusted that I could ask my questions about God.

It's taken me a very long time to sort out my faith and what I believe, and I think that each of us is given the time on this earth to do that for ourselves....even if it takes us a lifetime to do so. So I believe, that faith comes to some of us a little bit at a time. But it is well worth the time that it takes to get there because it helps us to be the person that God intends for us to be.

Fondly.........and because I care,

Lori
    Last edited by Rastagirl; 04-11-2009 at 10:12 PM.