I came to visit my sister in NYC as she has moved here. I arrived 28th February and within a week I developed rashes on my fingers. I couldn't go out as the weather was bad and the cold cut into my rashes. I loss weight as I didn't want to eat, I was tired, I couldn't sleep at night, I was bed ridden alot of the times as my legs really ached. I went to see a dermatologist who took a bi-opsy and blood tests. I was then referred to a rheumatologist. Who prescribed 40mg of Prednisone. After 10 days of taking this drug I developed seizures and steroid pyschosis. I changed my rheumatologist as the first one did not respond to my sister's calls when I ended up in ER. This guy was scientfic but didn't have the human side nor did he tell us the side effects. The second rheumatologist took me off the Prednisone and put on Plaquenil, Naproxen, Calcium, Citrate+D, one a day womens multivitamin and Prevacid. My weight has always been 112 lbs (7 1/2 stone). Since developing Lupus have gone down to 98lbs (7 stone) . I have lost weight and hair.

I read about the Lupus diet book and it seems alot of people gave up dairy and became vegans. However my new rheumatologist said I should eat everything but have a low-fat diet. Has anybody else changed their diet and if so, has it made a difference?

I am still stuck in NYC as my UK insurance has not given me the go ahead to travel back to the UK so this is an added worry since the payments so far exceed $25,000.

I hope the information here will help others in particular the bad experience I had with Prednisone.