Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What Do/Did You Do For A Living?

Thanks

Default Here goes...

OK - Used to sell radio advertising (as for the DJ thing...bad hours, bad egos!). I always wanted to go to law school, so I went back to school when I was 30...and the lawyer thing? Bad hours, bad egos

For the last 11 years, have acted as general counsel for my hubby's environmental company. The fact that my hubby is my boss has truly been my saving grace...in a story that is all too familiar to most of you, I am probably not employable anywhere else. Can't depend on me to be there from one day to the next. May show up, then have to leave suddenly when IT decides to rear it's ugly head. You know the drill.

Looking to write that book myself. Sounds like an group project is brewing.....
    Life is measured not by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Thanks

WOW! What a GREAT thread! I had my daughter at 17, graduated high school,worked as a receptionist for a nonprofit organization while going to college for a business degree, graduated, worked for Lucas County Childrens Services Board helping children in foster homes,that was a sad job so i then decided to be a stay at home mom for yrs, went back to college for certification in personal training, worked as a personal trainer in a variety of gyms around town as well as training people in their homes for 3 yrs, then my illness got so bad i had to quit and now here i am!
    We Live in a MORTAL, FRAIL, IMPERFECT world in which the word "FAIR" doesn't always apply.Make EVERY MOMENT COUNT with the ones you LOVE because it can end in the blink of an eye. Love, Jeannette

Blog Entries
    Thanks

This is such an interesting thread.

For 13 years I was a busy, happy homeschoolin' Mama. We finished and both graduated right as this disease started to get ugly. I'm very thankful for the timing of that.

I went back to work, but I found a different working world than the one I left before my kids came along. (Before the kids, I had odd jobs here and there. I took some courses at Tech. I could never figure out what I wanted to do until my kids came along...then I knew. And now I'm back to not knowing what I want to do again.)

When I returned to the working world, no one wanted to give a job to a lady that has been home so long even though I told them what I had been doing. I had to settle working in housekeeping at a local hospital for a while, but I liked it. I got to help patients. The hospital had tight rules about what we could help with, but if I wasn't allowed to help, I'd find someone who could. I got to hear a lot of interesting stories from lonely patients. I worked with some really great people. I cleaned interesting things in the OR rooms. I really loved cleaning the nursery when I filled in for my friend. All those babies!!!! I enjoyed it, but my feet started to hurt so bad. The x rays showed a bad bone the ortho was worried about. I didn't know what was going on yet, but I knew I couldn't be on my feet like that anymore. So I went back to school studying for a job that didn't need my feet. The school promised to help me find a job once I finished. I had some Tech in my past so I built on that. I aimed to work in a medical office. It was something I could finish quick and start doing for a living fast. It only took three semesters for me to finish.

I don't know how I was able to graduate, even with the help the school gave me, but I did. I got the phone call that the doc thinks I have Lupus and Sjogren's right as I finished my second quarter.

I haven't been physically able to do that job...but when I can, I can. The thing is, now I'm not so sure I'd be happy doing that. When the doc first caught the presence of this disease, at that time I didn't think it would take this long to find some relief and control. I'm still waiting. My health keeps getting worse.

I'm thinking maybe I should go back to school again and build on my diploma. I don't know. I can take some classes online so that would help. But my memory is so bad. I forget things minutes later. I know the school will help me, but life for me now is being close to the bathroom. I think I'd rather do something else for a living than work in the medical arena. They have classes for computer forensics and that interests me.

For now, I work for my hubby... he has a job, but on the side, he sells things online. It's fun and something I can help with. I'm his photographer and typist. God has blessed us with it. We've been doing pretty good.

Thanks

I have been a restaurant manager for 25 years, I started as a asst. manager, then I was general manager for 15 years and was promoted to district manager. District manager was getting to much for me, because I had to travel alot,that was before my diagnosis. I went back to general manager, but after a few months I had to quit, I couldn't work 60- 80 hours a week anymore. I love the restaurant business, I miss it alot. Now I work as a cashier in a grocery store, but the cashiers also have to stock the shelves, also the freezers and the coolers from the back. I have to lift between 20-40 pounds continuesly for three hours and then have to run the register for five more hours. But I got this job because of the great benefits, great health insurance, 6 paid holidays, 3 sick days, 3 personal days, 2 weeks paid vacation and 401 K and a higher than usual hourly wage. I was diagnosed two years after I started this job and have told nobody about my lupus. The job is killing me, I don't know how long I can do this. I used to freelance, translations german- english, english- german, but because of the brain fog, I can't do that anymore. I can still translate, but it takes to long and I would miss the deadline.
    My doc thinks I am crazy, he said that I am suppose to rest my joints, instead I abuse them with my job. But you got to do, what you got to do. I am in pain before I go to work, but when I come home from work, I can barely walk.

Debbie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Has this been said before, " This is a GREAT thread!!!!"?

Shortened version of a long story:
    I have always worked in either retail or office environments. My last job was for a major homebuilding company in their corporate offices as Master Data Change Coordinator. I was in charge of finding/fixing computer issues between different systems and then making sure that they were implemented. I loved my job. I started out as a receptionist and worked my way up. I was let go, due to absences when my father was sick & dying, right before the rest of my department was laid off.

Now I am a stay at home mom & I homeschool my two youngest, 13 & 11. I also chauffer my oldest back and forth to college. I love being at home, raising the kiddos more than any other job. As long as they turn out to be good, decent people then I know that I have done my job!
    Lauren

Blog Entries
    Thanks

As soon as I graduated high school in 2004 I took an EMT class and started working as an EMT. I just recently went up in my skill level and am now working as a Paramedic. I only work on a 911 ambulance which can be exhausting sometimes. I am planning on starting nursing school in August, my health permitting, and plan on being on an air medical helicopter. From May 2007-May 2008 I worked at a children's hospital as a nurses aid in a step down unit from the ICU. I love working with kids!
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I'm not.